Rent Cars Much? Feel Like You're Getting Raped?

Had to rent a car for couple of days. Came out of it feeling like the car rental business is a bunch of con games. 

You start online. You search "car rentals" and you find a lot of offers for great rates.  So you start by calling the company that has "budget" in its name. You aren't quoted anything remotely close to what they are touting online. You call a second company. Same thing. So you realize those are all just teasers, and you're going to be paying more than what you were hoping.

But you don't give up. You tell the person on the phone--at a call center somewhere--you just need basic transportation, no frills. They quoted you anywhere from $160 to $220 for 2 days. The online teasers were for $36 to $40 for 2 days!  You know they're just trying to upsell you, and the deals are surely available if you just keep asking. You say, "no, I mean BASIC, as in cheap, as in, just a little car with no frills."  You tell them you have your own insurance, you want to pick it up and bring it back to same location.

And, you have already said "I would like to return it about 9 or 10 p.m. the day i get back," so they told you their only location where you can do that is at the airport. But as you still complain that the rates are way higher than what you saw online, the rental person says, " well, you asked to get it from the airport location, it's always higher at the airport."  Huh?  Maybe that makes sense, but not renting cars very often, how would you know that?  You reply, I'll figure out a way to be back by 6:00--closing time--at their other locations. 

Finally a little progress. You are quoted about $130, for a small car the agent says is available now at a downtown location. "Total price, including tax and whatever other fees you charge," you ask?  Yes.  "Ok, I'll take it. I'll be there in half an hour to pick it up.

Your credit card and other info is taken, the reservation is made. You are assured that the computer shows the car is ready and waiting at that location. 

It gets better. 

You stand at the rental counter half an hour later. The agent, different person of course, pulls up your info. Stares at the computer, types something, stares at the screen. Searching. There's no reservation, you wonder?  He says, "we don't have anything like this here," meaning the small car. You tell him you were told on the phone the computer system showed it available at this location. 

Agent hollers at someone in the back to ask. Nothing like that here, is reply. 

As you're wondering whether to just leave, agent says, "well, you'll be getting a free upgrade."  Ahhhh.  Smile returns to your face for first time since process started. Again  takes your info. You ask, "did I get my AARP or NRA discount?  I told the person on the phone I should be getting one of those."

"No, but I can do that."  Bigger smile. This agent is a great guy. He "explains" some stuff but you're not sure what some terms mean. No problem, price went down a little, not up, so it's good. The mileage you're planning is included.

Agent takes you to nice mid-size sedan. It's new, 19,000 miles. It has a strong scent of deodorizer, like it was used by a heavy smoker, and agent asks if it's ok. He'll find you another car if the scent bothers you, but no, you'll take it. 

He looks at gas gauge, it's below half. "This counts as empty," he says, "so you don't have to fill it up before you bring it back. Bring it in empty if you want."  Now he's REALLY a great guy!  

Process completed, agent hands you a tablet to "sign" electronically. Gives you a printout, tells you the agreement will be on your email. 

You leave, start your trip, fairly satisfied you did the best you could. Car runs great, it's a nice day, with window down a little on the interstate, the deodorizer is not noticeable. 

Youll be back day after tomorrow. 

Trip goes ok. Except for your liberal relatives constantly telling you everything Trump is doing is illegal, or stupid, or both. 

You head back a bit early. Fill the tank about halfway there--you don't completely trust that you won't be charged some ridiculous price for gas if you return car empty. 

Park the car at the rental location, call your wife to tell her you're back, walk up to counter. Hand agent--different one of course--the paperwork you left with and say "I'm returning a car." 

Agent asks for keys, says "I'll be right back, just have to get the mileage."  She comes back, makes computer entries, asks if you'll be putting it on same charge card as at beginning, tells you, "this will be $190-something."  !!!!  You don't hear exact amount, you're a bit stunned. 

"No, it was supposed to be under $130, all mileage included, I'm returning it 4 hours early, with over half a tank of gas more than I left with." 

"It's $190-whatever," is reply. You say, "if it's not under $130, as I was quoted, I need to discuss it with your manager."

Manager turns out to be the person right next to agent at counter, but up to now he's just been staying clear of discussion.  They make computer entries, "ok, here it is, computer has charged you for third day," and now rate is back to what you were quoted.  You complete the deal, go outside to wait for your ride.

Later, I'll tell you what I learned when I opened the agreement they emailed me.  I'm still feeling raped  

For the last few years of my military career I was a logistitian, so am used to such things but on a larger scale.  We would rent numerous cars, trucks, forklifts (MHE) and hotels.as well as hangers.  This always needs major coordination, specially since you're renting all available cars in the area and whole floors of hotels.  We've had glitches,  but usually worked out satisfactorily. 

For personal use, rent from the ad online, it is usually a discounted rate the rental agency doesn't have access to.  And they will honor the rental contract, even if it means bringing a car in from other locations or giving you an upgrade.  I always get unlimited mileage, don't get any insurance since many insurance companies cover rentals, USAA covers me, and if you pay with Visa, it also covers you, the card holder, but always check you are covered.  Never pay for gas unless you will be leaving it on empty, and then only if you are pressed for time, prepay is decent sometimes. Always carry your own GPS, or use your phone, less expensive than theirs. Always do a good inspection, note any deficiency even if minor just in case.  The airport is more expensive, but if you rent from an ad they will shuttle you to their location most times.

A year or so ago the wife and I planned on renting a car. She found a good price, but we had to go to the airport. We make the 40 minute ride, and she goes in to get the car. A few minutes later, she comes back out and I can see in her face she is not happy (I've seen this look before - don't ask). She tells me they need to see a utility bill to complete the rental. I said, you must have misunderstood, and I say I'll go in and straighten this right out. I go in and the lady at the counter is being extremely pleasant to the handsome guy in line, and I think, OK it was definitely a misunderstanding. I'm next and I smile at the lady and say I'm here to pick up the car, adn that she had just spoke to my wife, who clearly misunderstood her. 

She tells me that she was clear, and that they need to see a utility bill, or mortgage statement with my address and name on it. I ask why and she says that "local people" are more likely to keep the car, and they need assurance of where to go look for me if I do. I said I have a drivers license and other forms of ID with my picture and address. "Nope not good enough. You could have moved recently".

I tell here that this requirement was nowhere to be found anywhere on the website. She points at a piece of paper on the counter behind her and says "well, it's clearly printed out right there". I tell her I'm not driving all the way home to get a GD utility bill, and I want to talk to the manager. She says "No, you can't talk to him". I ask why and she says "Because I'm not going to call him".

She then tells me that if I had a copy of my latest pay stub, that would work too, like people just carry those around. I think to myself, I found a loophole because my company emails our paystubs, we don't ever get a hardcopy. I tell her hang on, and pull up GMail on my phone open the paystub email and point it to her face. She says "that's not good enough, it has to be printed out". I said, "are you kidding me? you mean I can go to the hotel next door and print this very copy out and you would take that, but you can't just look at my phone and verify?" She said "Yep".

And to make things worse, she said that with an evil little smile. At this point I'm so mad that I knew if I didn't leave right then I was gonna lose my cool. So I stomp off. I go back out to the car and the wife is still fuming, and I'm even madder. After bitching about it for a moment, I call the company HQ, and they inform me that this is the policy of some local franchises, and they back them up. Nothing I can do but go home and get a bill.

So I hang up, and get back on Google and look up the number of another rental car company. I speak to someone and ask them what documentation do I need to rent a car? They tell me I only need a drivers license and a credit card. I ask about a utility bill and they say, "No, why would you need a bill?" I say Hold on, I'll be right there. Ended up getting a car at the counter right next to the one that gave me grief, and got a better deal. Of course I made sure to wave, holding the keys, at the "lady" behind the first counter on my way out.

The icing on the cake was when I finally got back to the wife and our car an hour and a half after we first arrived, I realized we had left the headlights on and our battery had died, so the car wouldn't start. 

45 minutes ago, Omega said:

Always do a good inspection, note any deficiency even if minor just in case.  

My CC takes care of the insurance for no cost, but I still walk around the car once snapping 8-10 pics to cover the entire thing just in case, before leaving the lot.  Had Hertz try to charge me for wheel damage once some years ago.  Hard for them to argue that case when you have a photo of it while it's still sitting in their garage.

I once traveled every week by plane stopping in three cities per week.  Out on Sunday night or Monday am back on Friday.  I also used orbitz or another online reservation sites.  I always use American Express for travel as they have a rental car protection clause.  Also your personal auto insurance should have rental car coverage.  I always decline the additional ins coverage. Another trick to avoid the rental car airport fee was rent from a location near the airport.  A few dollar cab ride may save 25/30 + bucks.   Hotel fees are what they are.  Little way to avoid.  

When you rack up 4 million air  miles in a 20 year span one soon learn some tricks. 

Here's the next part of the story. Sorry I have not gotten back sooner to finish this. 

Nowhere during the rental process did I see anything explaining what I was agreeing to, what I was paying for, nothing on paper until AFTER I had signed an agreement on an electronic pad. I'm sure everything WAS explained to me. Yeah, right. In a rushed manner in terms that were NOT explained. 

After all signed and sealed, they hand me a printout, which I did not read before I left. And emails of the agreement showed up in my inbox later, again, which I didn't read until after the return of the car. 

So. Despite me being assured that I did not have to pay for any insurance since my own insurance covers car rentals, I DID pay for full coverage plus roadside assistance. About $25 a day. I should have been alerted by the fact that I wasn't asked to show proof of my own coverage, which I had. 

The agreements, not seen until after the deal was signed, clearly state their insurance coverage is OPTIONAL and that rental of the vehicle is not conditional on purchasing their coverage.

BUT. You have to hunt to find that info, separated on 2 different parts of the agreements. 

I'm of the opinion that everything I went thru constitutes deceptive marketing practices. I am preparing a case to present to the TN Attorney General's office. I'll probably also see if I can stir my own state--Arkansas--into looking into this. 

My position, if I sell something, whether merchandise or service, I wish to fully disclose the terms, condition of what I'm selling, etc. I expect to be held responsible if I don't. 

It greatly angers me when someone selling to me acts in a deceptive manner. 

Just one of my many character flaws I guess. 

On 3/11/2017 at 10:25 AM, Luap said:

I once traveled every week by plane stopping in three cities per week.  Out on Sunday night or Monday am back on Friday.  I also used orbitz or another online reservation sites.  I always use American Express for travel as they have a rental car protection clause.  Also your personal auto insurance should have rental car coverage.  I always decline the additional ins coverage. Another trick to avoid the rental car airport fee was rent from a location near the airport.  A few dollar cab ride may save 25/30 + bucks.   Hotel fees are what they are.  Little way to avoid.  

When you rack up 4 million air  miles in a 20 year span one soon learn some tricks. 

I agree with all this. I never call a car rental company on the phone. I book the car online. You have a reservation and an email/page capture of what you're renting and how much you are paying. You can adjust the hours for pickup/return to get the best rates. You can choose the options you want. I've used Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Southwest Airlines, Budget, Enterprise, Alamo, and National. I've never had any problems. It's a good idea to double check that your rate is what you were quoted online. I usually take a photo of the reservation so I can show it at the counter if necessary.

Let me repeat, I don't book a car by phone or at the counter. One time I needed a car, but didn't have a reservation. I went to the counter and was quoted... can't remember now... maybe $75/day. I sat down with my phone, logged onto one of these websites listed above, and booked a car for immediate pick up for half that amount. Of course, a lot depends on availability at that time. I've rented SUVs and minivans for no more than a compact. You just need to see what the deals are online. If I need a car locally for four days, I'll just rent it for the week. The rates are about the same as a 4-5 day rental.

Edited by jgradyc
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, Sam1 said:

Taxes are what get me... hotels, cars.. anything to do with travel.  rent a car for a weekend @ $150, tax/fees are $75.  rent a room for $200/night, pay $50/night in taxes/fees.

My last car rental in Philadelphia was $52.03 for a day, with 37% as taxes and fees.

My next rental in Denver will be $446 for 5 days, with 25% as taxes and fees.

My hotel stays in Smyrna, Knoxville and Nashville during the next few weeks will have about 16% tax.

7 hours ago, tnhawk said:

My hotel stays in Smyrna, Knoxville and Nashville during the next few weeks will have about 16% tax.

Stay at my place for free in Nashville, all you have to do is clean guns and prep brass :bowrofl:

• Like 1

Something else a lot of people may not know is the insurance for YOUR car generally covers you in a rental as well. We just rented a mid size for Thursday through Tuesday for under $150. Had it for a day before the trip was cancelled and the manager at the rental place voided the transaction so it didn't cost me a penny.

What you're calling "deceptive marketing practices" is what everyone who rents cars regularly calls "normal".  Yes, they take advantage of every opportunity to try to screw customers out of every penny they can. It's called business.  The uninformed pay more, sometimes a lot more.  

Another reason to book online, you have time to read the fine print.  Though it's a fun way to piss off a desk agent... ask them for a full print out of the contract before you sign and proceed to read it, in detail, while standing there. Ask them questions about what things mean (they won't have a clue). Not that I've ever done that. :)  

• Like 1

Use a visa, inspect the car, save more by renting off site from the airport, inspect the car, bring it back full and always make sure your loss damage waiver is covered. Airport junk fees turn a 30 dollar rental into 60 in seconds.... it is a write off but yes it leaves one feeling violated....joining their clubs and using discounts does help sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk