Nite sights: Trijicon/Meprolight/Tru glow TFO/XS-24/7 Big Dot...Pics wanted

Guest Boomhower

Guest Boomhower

First off, let me say that I've read all the post available here on TGO pertaining to these above mentioned sights.

I am wanting to replace the sights on my CCW with something else. Factory's just aren't cutting it. In doing this, I figure what the heck, might as well go with something that glows. With that though, I also want something that is bright in the day time for practice shooting. Most of my practicing will occur between the hours of 7 to 9pm, or whenever evening daylight permits. Coupled with a few Sat. full daylight trips.

My dilemma is that I've not seen any of these sights in person. Nor do I see the chance coming up in the near future.....Sooooooo, can anyone with these sights installed, please post up pics and opinions on the sights listed above? Day time and night time (don't know if this is possible) pics? .....(GlocKingTN, I have already read your review on the TruGlo TFO's)

1) Trijicon - These don't look to me to be adequate for target practicing?

2) Meprolight - Look almost identical to the Trijicon sights, with the same thoughts as above.

3) Tru glow TFO - In a review from Donnie on these sights, one of the cons was that they wouldn't fit some holsters. Has anyone had this problem?

4) XS-24/7 Big Dot - I like the idea of the big dot. Seems more practical for target practicing, but appears to have less of a glow effect than the Trijicon and Meprolight's would have in a low light setting?

What are your thoughts/opinions? Especially let me know if you've had one brand and switched to another that you like better, and list your reasoning.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the XS Big Dot sights and really like them. I have no experience with other night sights but I like the 'normal' appearance of the Big Dot sights and would not consider them true night sights.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=575020&postcount=320 this is a link to a guy's setup on xdtalk with TFO's

i've got the TFO's on my service which i don't carry, on my subby i bought some flourecent paint at a crafts store for $2 and painted the front green and the back orange, works great. i love my TFO's have green front yellow rear and they have made it through over a thousand rounds on my ported service. but i wouldn't put them on my carry gun. some people have and haven't had any problems, but they are very long on the front side and under a stressful situation or a hard drop it could easily break. some kydex holster that have a short site channel can be a problem for them, but most have site channels that go the length of the holster so it's not a problem. i view my carry gun as a rugged tool. she's not pretty, i've stippled her and scratched her and i'm okay with it, cause she's dependable and comfortable. i would try painting your sites first before you spend the money on night sites.

oh and boom if i could ever make it to a shoot, or you are down in chatt, you're more than welcome to shoot mine!

I've had Tru-Glo, Meprolite, and factory Sig-lite sights. The Truglos are brighter in sunlight and the transition to night sights is very smooth. There is no white ring around the tridium as with other sights, but the fiber optic which glows in the daytime. I really liked them.

I had Meprolites on a Kimber that I owned. They were good sights, but the front tridium died out and I had to replace the front sight. They had a dot on the front sight and a bar going up the rear sight. All you had to do was dot the i. These were adjustable target sights and were pleasant to shoot, not carry.

The factory Sig night sights are performing well during the daylight so far, but the suck at night. For some strange reason, the front is red and the rears are green. I can pick up the rear sight fast, but the front takes a second. These are coming off. I knew when I bought it that it had the red front and green rears, but thought maybe that the red was brighter than it is and that they might have subdued the green to make the front stand out. I was wrong.

I'm getting the XS big dots for it when funds allow. In fact, I'm getting two sets. One for the M&P and another for the 226. I shot a Glock at Camden with the big dots the other weekend and was truly impressed with them.

I've got a set of green 3-dot Meprolights on my XD-9 4", which I like a lot. They're bright enough for my purposes. I wear glasses, so my test criteria with the night sights I looked at was the ability to see the green glow from 10 feet without my glasses in a very dark room. Then I priced them. Meprolights were the best value for the cash I had in my wallet that day.

Guest macho999

I was reading Massady Adoody's column in some gun rag a while back and he said to be careful not to get them too bright or they'll light your face up and make a nice target for whoever is shooting at you.

That may be something to consider, although I can't say that comes from any personal experience on my part.

Guest Boomhower
I don't have any problems with target practice with my Trijicons.

That's good to hear.

I have the XS Big Dot sights and really like them. I have no experience with other night sights but I like the 'normal' appearance of the Big Dot sights and would not consider them true night sights.

Those were my thoughts as well. Nice looking, but not much material to glow to really justify them as nite sites.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=575020&postcount=320 this is a link to a guy's setup on xdtalk with TFO's

oh and boom if i could ever make it to a shoot, or you are down in chatt, you're more than welcome to shoot mine!

Awesome pic of the TFO's. That's what I'm wanting to see. The website's just tease ya.

I had thought and read about the glow in the dark paint, but this is my carry gun and it will be holstered most of the time, and this paint needs light to "charge it up so to speak" before it will glow.

Definetly try to make it out sometime. I'm down that way every once in a while to visit family, but not that often with gas the way it is right now.

I wear glasses, so my test criteria with the night sights I looked at was the ability to see the green glow from 10 feet without my glasses in a very dark room.

Good point. I wear contacts and the little factory white dots just fuzz out into the target after a few magizine's worth of rounds.

Thanks for all the other comments guys. Keep em coming. So far, the Trijicons or Meprolights seem to catch my attention the most. I have found a site on line that has some Meprolights for my gun at $65, but their out of stock and it doesn't give a date of when they'll be back in stock. But I'd gladly pay more if a gun shop would install them for free.