Tennessee Fly Fishing

My Son in law is into fly fishing and he catches a lot of trout on the Caney river in Carthage. Well, let me rephrase that. He use to love fly fishing a lot. Then I introduced him into bass fishing and my daughter has told me I ruined her husband andshe never gets trout for supper any more. She says he's alway bass fishing and releasing them back in the lake............default_cheers.gif

I've bass fished for a long time and I personally think it pales in comparison to trout fishing. The trout are much more elegant and the plus is that you can eat them [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, conn_air7 said:

I've bass fished for a long time and I personally think it pales in comparison to trout fishing. The trout are much more elegant and the plus is that you can eat them emoji1417.png

Yep and they are beautiful fighters also. I really love my fried crappie fillets, but nothing compares to wood smoked or charcoal grilled trout. I'm hitting the rivers again for trout real soon!! I haven't caught one in probably 15 years, but this thread is getting me fired up. I might just be buying another fly rod soon. I haven't owned one in many moons!!!

On March 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM, conn_air7 said:

I'm using a Redington Crosswater (9ft 5wt). It's been a good rod for me so far. I plan to upgrade at some point, but for now it's doing the trick.

cdeb15c0692e272d34a9f326bd037eec.jpg

A good buddy of mine landed this one today. Caught it on the Hiwassee, quite a fish for the Hiwassee.

I know this picture. I may or may not have a connection with that hat. 

I fished the South Holston this weekend and had a great two days! BWO were popping off sporadically and there were occasional rises. Great river!

When I went last Thursday, they were rising big time. I threw a blue winged olive and a bh olive wooly as my dropper. They killed they wooly, but never touched the blue winged olive. I think it might've been the weight of my dropper that kept them from hitting it. It would only stay on the surface a few seconds.

• Like 1

When I went last Thursday, they were rising big time. I threw a blue winged olive and a bh olive wooly as my dropper. They killed they wooly, but never touched the blue winged olive. I think it might've been the weight of my dropper that kept them from hitting it. It would only stay on the surface a few seconds.

Yeah I wouldn't fish anything that heavy under a dry. it just won't do any good, just fish the streamer alone.

Sometimes when you see fish breaking the surface they're actually eating bugs just under the surface. So fishing a dry fly with an emerger as a dropper can catch fish. Next time you buy flies look for some BWO emerger patterns
  • Like 1

I dont know if they still do or not but back in the late 70's early 80's TWRA use to stock several  wading creeks in Hickman County (Mill Creek in Wrighley) every year and I would go down there and take a limit a couple times and have a Trout fry with a few friends. Have not been back since I got my first Bass Boat if that tells ya'll anything. Bass Fishing is an addiction and I quit competing back in 2012 but still experience withdrawls and will float the Skeeter and just go and compete against the fish. I guess I am somewhat rusty cause the last few outings the Bass have won out........:doh:

7 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I dont know if they still do or not but back in the late 70's early 80's TWRA use to stock several  wading creeks in Hickman County (Mill Creek in Wrighley) every year and I would go down there and take a limit a couple times and have a Trout fry with a few friends. 

They still do.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/topic/trout-information-stockings

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Glad to hear they are still stocking the creeks. I think one of the others was Hurricane Creek. Only issue I had about fishing down there is the locals didn't much like folks parking near their property and gaining access to the creek back then could be hard. I also learned that when the locals learned that the trout were put in they would get their seine nets out and stretch them across the creeks and drive the fish into the nets. They would have lookouts on all the roads going along Mill Creek and if the wardens showed up them and their nets would dissappear into the woods.  I got to see them doing it one time and glad they didn't see me. Back then there we no cell phones and of course I was never armed back then. Don't know if the locals still do that or not since the TWRA now has drones they can use to watch the creeks for stuff like that...................:mad:

10 hours ago, conn_air7 said:

Anyone had much experience fishing in the smokies? That's on my list of things to do. I've spent plenty of time hiking and kayaking there, but no fishing yet.

I used to do it a lot when I lived in Knoxville.  Fish are generally smaller but you can find some pretty nice ones in the bigger water.  Go to Little River Outfitters in Townsend.  They are such a great fly shop and will give you all the Smoky fly fishing info you could want.  Good Dry fly fishing in the spring (now) 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, conn_air7 said:

Anyone had much experience fishing in the smokies? That's on my list of things to do. I've spent plenty of time hiking and kayaking there, but no fishing yet.

I fish up there occasionally. I'm a tailwater guy. When I can't fish the tailgaters (schedules, etc...) I will hit the mountains. Right now, the water is cold enough for trout on the lower section. It is a usually a wider area down lower. As it heats up, you have to go higher elevations to find the trout. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes sir!

It's so river specific. I'd try zebra midges dropped from a black caddis. I can't imagine that won't catch fish.

If you see fish rising I'd be looking to throw a BWO emerger below a BWO dry.

Soon in the afternoons you'll start to see Slate Drakes (Isonychia) hatching.

If you don't see fish rising stick to nymphs they'll be the most productive and try to focus on a good drift.

Don't give up on the streamers. They'll always produce. Change up color. Go to lighter to mimic shad that might be coming through the dam. Or pic up a Clouser minnow. Lots of rivers are seeing high numbers of shad right now and trout are eating them.

Most of all be patient and keep fishing