So who has gotten a lifetime HCP?

It was time for my renewal, so today I went to the DMV and did the lifetime HCP. I understand that at 62 (o god I'M 62?) it probably doesn't "amortize", but I decided the PITA factor made it worth it.

Anybody else taken the leap to "lifetime"? 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Mine is up in February of next year and I am planning on going lifetime simply for the pain in the ass factor.  The less time I have to spend dealing with the folks at the DMV, the better off I life is. 

You never have to set foot in the DMV again to renew permit. EXCEPT if you want the lifetime. :)

- OS

• Like 3

OS make a good point, I just got my renewal and with the new math the lifetime probably won't pay off, plus I can do it by mail. 

I have learned in the past that if you go to a Podunk town DMV, the wait and frustration isn't so bad.

Edited by Ugly

I was due for renewal this month and had to have a new photo also-the new permits are now good for 8 years instead of 4.I would have to keep my permit till I am 90 if I got the lifetime.If I am able to renew when I am that old it will really be something considering I am 58 and feel like 90 sometimes now.

38 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

You never have to set foot in the DMV again to renew permit. EXCEPT if you want the lifetime. :)

- OS

Not quite true. On my renewal this year the letter stated I had to go to the DMV for a new picture.

• Like 2

I got my lifetime about a week after they came out. The timing worked out just right as I only had a few days left to renew. As much as I'm bummed about having to spend $500 on it, I'm happy to see that they brought the price down. I though it was worth it at $500, so I think it's a no brainer for those under 60.

3 hours ago, Raoul said:

Not quite true. On my renewal this year the letter stated I had to go to the DMV for a new picture.

Aha, a new wrinkle. I suppose that will happen periodically with the lifetime too, then. Though I'm confused about the interaction with TDL regarding the picture. I haven't had to update either in I dunno, going on ten years now I guess.

- OS

• Like 1

My renewal was up last summer and, knowing that the lifetime fee was going to drop to $200 in January there was no way in Hades I was going to pay $500 for it.  In fact, at $500 it wouldn't have been worth it to me, anyhow.  Next time mine us up, however, I probably will drop the $200 and go lifetime.

21 hours ago, Raoul said:

If they are asking that, does anyone know what will happen with a lifetime permit?  I wish I still looked the same now as say 30, but my kids ask me who the crazy long haired guy is in the old pics, that looks like someone from Narcos on Netflix.  Point is, if you get a lifetime at 30, I doubt your pic is valid at 60.

Does the life time permit have a pic?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Divotmaker said:

If they are asking that, does anyone know what will happen with a lifetime permit?  I wish I still looked the same now as say 30, but my kids ask me who the crazy long haired guy is in the old pics, that looks like someone from Narcos on Netflix.  Point is, if you get a lifetime at 30, I doubt your pic is valid at 60.

Does the life time permit have a pic?

I don't think they know. The nice lady at the DMV said she thought it would be the DL pictures we have to renew every so often...

I didn't want to have to take off work for 1/2 day to get new picture so I did the mail-in for my wife and I for the 8 year renew.  Mailed Check on a Monday received new cards  10 days later. 

18 minutes ago, Luap said:

I didn't want to have to take off work for 1/2 day to get new picture so I did the mail-in for my wife and I for the 8 year renew.  Mailed Check on a Monday received new cards  10 days later. 

Curious. My last renewal letter informed me that I had to go to the DMV for a new photo.

Stated only needed new Photo if I had wanted Lifetime.  Likely get us next time as I'm sure they want to stay somewhat current.  or I think they would.  Some one told me there stating to get new DL photos every few (so many) years.  My current DL and Permit photo is about 6 years old, taken when we moved back to Tennessee from Georgia. 

46 minutes ago, FJCrusing said:

Mine renews in June and debating on the lifetime.  Is all that has to be done is a trip to the DMV, new photo and pay the $250? 

And wait 33 years for it to start saving you any bucks. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
And wait 33 years for it to start saving you any bucks. default_smile.png
- OS

I am in my late 30's so I will eventually break even and get ahead on it (just barely). Still a much better deal than the Tennessee lifetime hunting license. Try $1,976.00 for that one. Purchased each of my sons a lifetime hunting license for $200 before they turned 3. I pay $166 a year just for a Sportmans Hunting License.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk