Introducing Brigand...

Three and a half years ago I met up with a member here on the board and took a puppy home. My daughter was was turning seven and the puppy was meant to be her gift. Bandit was one of the best things that ever happened to our family. I have shared several pictures of her here on the board and the progress of her life. In short she is a spoiled, highly intelligent black lab. Bandit has been trained by vocal and hand signals. She understand basic commands such as sit and stay. Advanced commands such as come to 'here,' go to 'there,' 'jump' and 'up(beg.)' The obvious, 'speak' and 'paw.' She is also bell trained, catches frisbees, fetches, and the like. She sleeps in the bed and her best friend is a cat. I think I counted something like twenty commands she understands, in addition to general desires. Overall, she is a damn good dog. I cannot for the life of me imagine what it would be like without her.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATExAGNiNy00YzU1AC1lYTQ3LTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA83voqwDl9NGvoMcUf99x88HANTVs9%2B1ZkxMAJSkLlJmEPQkAAACAQwAAADU1bPftWZMTACUpC5SZhD0JAABTLMuYwAAAAESABAA7L0SOEhx%2BUmvFJqlve0Wew%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=253gvqPzKUCJKeZhPrG_czAvxZ_kbNQYjdLb33Rtfj8zL5VuDHcLIbmLj04FZm4YVEo_Fl2Q5Js.&token=496a97c8-e76c-439a-af66-97381ff5bae2&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1 

So late last year I changed careers, and became a service plumber, as opposed to a Dispatch Manager for the same plumbing company. It was one of the best things I have ever done. Yesterday I got a call to go to a local pet supply chain Feeders Supply. In the process of diagnosing the issue, I was granted access to the Humane Society's onsite kennel/adoption center. Directly in my eyes when I enter, I met a black lab pup. 4 months old. Her first day at this shelter. One day out from being spayed. She had a white chin and a white star on her chest, just like bandit does. I texted the wife immediately.

brigand_2.jpg

The puppy was on a medical hold, as her file hadn't been updated for her rabies shot. I asked for a hold, and a phone call, and woke up early this morning to take Bandit to meet the puppy. Ensuring that they would both mesh was of utmost importance for both. I got the call this morning en route to the shelter that the medical for the puppy had come in, and she was ready for adoption. I was twenty minutes away. The shelter and the pet supply store were both more than accommodating, allowing us the use of leashes, collars and tethers (which we did purchase at the end,) to see how the two would get along. Bandit is a 70lb lab, and the puppy is approximately 15 to 20lbs. 

brigand_and_bandit.jpg

Look at those paws, she will be huge.

She came home, and she knew, even yesterday after I spent over and hour with her, and she remembered me this morning, she had a home.

brigand_and_bandit_2.jpg

Her name is Brigand. And with some work and effort, she and Bandit will be one hell of a dangerous duo.

brigand1.jpg

Edited by Murgatroy
I don't need img tags it seems.
  • Like 10

So after four full days we are going well. 

We have had to ban all existence of chew toys, such as pig ear or pig hide chew strips, bully sticks and the like. Bandit has a bit of possession issues when it comes to those items. It is my fault though. Since she was a puppy we would 'play,' and I would take them away from her and make her 'flee' to earn them. As such she tends to hide them, as part of the game is that I will take them straight from her mouth in a show of dominance. This has created an issue with the puppy, as the puppy thinks they are general use, and Bandit still thinks they are 'fight to earn.' As such we have eliminated their use in the house.

Kong toys, rope toys, bones and training treats are all fine with no sign on aggression.

Bandit is very vocal in her play, with short barks and growls. She will pounce like a cat and dance when she wants to play. When playing tug-of-war, she will growl like a mad dog when you go nose to nose with her. This is all show, and I have instilled this in her, as it makes her appear mean, when anyone that knows her knows she is a baby. Brigand is not quite understanding of Bandit's play methods, but she will participate in three way tug-of-war and chase. I do have to participate in tug-of-war at this time due to how aggressive we play. There is a lot of neck snapping and I will physically lift Bandit off the floor or swing her from side to side. She returns in kind. As she more than triples Brigand's weight, I am the intermediary so both sides can play to their level and content.

Feeding has become fine with no food aggression. Save for the cat. He wants his food first, and now. Right now.

We have brought an old wire kennel in and set it up in the kitchen, we keep the door open and Brigand understands it is her space, she sleeps and eats there, but we keep her free 90% of the time, unless we leave the house. Bandit was crate trained until the age of one. She will enter the crate even now with no hesitation, but again, it stays open nearly all the time.

She is grasping 'sit.' 

She understands the bells mean 'go outside,' though she has yet to learn to ring them. Bandit will ring them for her.

She is not an unintelligent dog, but Bandit does hold the superior intellect. To the point I am even surprised. There is the bell ringing for instance, Bandit will ring the bell for Brigand, and there is behavior etiquette. If Brigand bites or jumps, and is told 'no' more than once, Bandit will dominate her. Bandit is more than happy to show off her tricks in an attempt to show Brigand how to behave, as in training for 'sit.' 

Brigand has grasped 'fetch' with a gusto, and we have balls and frisbees outside. She enjoys this a lot, and unlike Bandit, will give the ball or frisbee back without being prompted.

The 'Girls' as they have become known work in tandem. We have a tandem lead for their collars to go to a single leash. They accept this and have not caused any issues on walks. They go outside in tandem, and come inside in tandem.

She is a more patient dog than Bandit. I do believe this comes down to her more normal intellect. She will sit and wait for her command and look at you quizzically until shown what do do. Bandit however will intuitively discern what you desire and go from there. It is an interesting change.

The cat is not highly impressed. We have not suffered any outright violence, and we are now at the point of indifference. Bandit is quick to offer a reassuring lick when required, as they are very close. Brigand is fascinated with Bongo, and when he does choose to be on her level, she wants nothing more than to give him kisses and discover more about him.

The couch is also no longer fit for more than one human at a time. Both dogs have made it their home and will cuddle to either side of the single 'two leg' that can find space on it. This is especially amusing during naps.

Overall, we are doing great and I think things look great for the future. Though I am interested to see how our 'violent' tug-of-war sessions evolve when Brigand outweighs Bandit by twenty pounds.

• Like 1
On 3/16/2017 at 11:42 PM, Murgatroy said:

brigand1.jpg

You can read a lot from most dog's eyes and posture if you are attuned with how to look.  It doesn't always work - some dogs are just schizo or impossible to read but it usually works fairly well.  I/my family had dogs ever since I was a little kid so I have been around different dogs with different idiosyncrasies and personalities pretty much all my life.  Some friends of mine got their first dog about a year ago and sometimes when I am visiting he will be acting a certain way and I will tell them what I think he wants based on his actions, posture, etc.  Most of the time I am right and I don't even live with this dog.  Heck, sometimes I can get him to lay down beside me and behave even when he won't do so for them (not trying to usurp them just trying to show them how) and they have taken him to obedience training.  They are very good with him but just don't have enough experience to know how to 'read' a dog, yet.

I say all of that to tell you that, from that picture, my 'gut' is telling me in no, uncertain terms that this puppy knows exactly what you have done for her and she is grateful.

Edited by JAB

I've always loved labs, still do even after attacked by and bitten by a male lab which surprised the heck out of me. With that the only things I've noticed on lab pups is they'll chew up everything they can wrap their jaws around. You found an exceptionally attractive pup and made her a part of your family.