Yet another Carry question

My daughter, over 21, will be attending graduate school in Alabama.  She is a Tennessee permanent resident with carry permit, yet will be residing in Alabama during semester classes and returning to Tennessee between semesters and summers.  Alabama weapons laws states full recognition of other states carry permits providing individuals compliance with Alabama weapons laws.  Yet it also states Alabama "Residents" must acquire an Alabama permit through the Sheriffs office of the county of residence.  It also states that upon ceasing to be a resident of Alabama, that permit immediately is void.  I found no definition of "resident" that really applied to such a situation.  Has anyone run into this?  It would seem kind of silly to have to have one in both states when there is a reciprocity agreement.  I appreciate any thoughts or experience offered. 

• Administrator

Will she be keeping her Tennessee driver's license and have an address of permanent residence in Tennessee?  Car registered in Tennessee?

I really see this as no different than a person who lives in Tennessee but travels for extended periods of time for work out of state.  Until you establish residency in the other state, obtain a driver's license there, set up a permanent address there, you are not a resident of that state.

As always, I am not an attorney.  I'd ask one.

• Like 3

I believe David is correct. 

In 2011 I moved to FL and for some reason I was convinced I was required to immediately stop carrying. I realized later than until you establish residency in a new state your TN permit is still valid. Think about it, how would the state of TN have any idea where your daughter is? 

She'll be fine using her carry permit while she is there.

• Like 1

All good points and I appreciate the input.  I only wish she was paying in state (resident) tuition and that is a great point.  Unless legally required by Alabama I intend for her vehicle registration and drivers license to remain Tennessee.  I know it seems like splitting hairs but if the worst were to happen and she was forced to resort to use of her weapon, I would want everything to be legal so as not to become an issue after the fact.  I may be putting too much thought into it.  

This may be my answer...when checking Alabama DL laws it listed 6 circumstances in which one does not have to get an Alabama DL and #6 stated: 

Any non-resident fulltime student, properly enrolled and registered in a school, college, university, or trade school in this state, who holds a valid license from his home state or country.

This exclusion was not directly stated in the carry/weapon laws I have read for Alabama but I believe I will run with this.  

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, tacops said:

All good points and I appreciate the input.  I only wish she was paying in state (resident) tuition and that is a great point.  Unless legally required by Alabama I intend for her vehicle registration and drivers license to remain Tennessee.  I know it seems like splitting hairs but if the worst were to happen and she was forced to resort to use of her weapon, I would want everything to be legal so as not to become an issue after the fact.  I may be putting too much thought into it.  

Check the Alabama laws, they may be similar to TN in that you can't be criminally charged for illegal possession if you use a firearm in justifiable self defense. 

Your daughter will need to contact the county sheriff's office where she will be living for school to find out if she is able to get a pistol license in that county.  She may be able to get one with an apartment lease.  The licenses are issued by the sheriffs depts there.  Some will run a background check on you and then give you a license on the spot.  Others may take longer.  Either way the licenses are much easier to get than in TN because you don't have to take a class.

There may not be an advantage to having an AL license there since the TN permit is honored and she won't officially change voting and DL from TN.  She should be legal carrying at her college though if she wanted to carry with either state's license.  From what I understand it is still legal to carry at K-12 schools too with a license.

23 hours ago, Luap said:

If her ACT score high enough she may get a free - ride even for Grad school.

34 ACT and top 2 percent nationally on her PCAT and graduating from University of the Cumberlands with a Degree in Chemistry and Microbiology with Honors and a 3.8 or 9 GPA.  She attended Cumberlands at no cost due to both academic and basketball scholarships.  Not sure where she got the smarts, kind of makes me wonder what my wife was up to 21 years ago.  She is going to attend McWhorter School of Pharmacy for a Doctorate in Pharmacy.  She did get a scholarship but it is only a fraction of the overall costs.  

Edited by tacops
2 hours ago, tacops said:

34 ACT and top 2 percent nationally on her PCAT and graduating from University of the Cumberlands with a Degree in Chemistry and Microbiology with Honors and a 3.8 or 9 GPA.  She attended Cumberlands at no cost due to both academic and basketball scholarships.  Not sure where she got the smarts, kind of makes me wonder what my wife was up to 21 years ago.  She is going to attend McWhorter School of Pharmacy for a Doctorate in Pharmacy.  She did get a scholarship but it is only a fraction of the overall costs.  

With those grades, I'd seriously look into other schools (if you haven't already).  That seems plenty good enough to get way more than "a fraction of the overall cost".  At the end of the day, she'll have the same piece of paper as every other PharmD out there.

My grades weren't as good as hers and I got paid to go to grad school.  Granted it wasn't pharmacy school, but still. 

• Like 1

She visited several, applied to five, accepted at all she applied and was offered various amounts of scholarship from each.  Samford in Alabama and U. of Kentucky offered the most which was equal to about half of over all tuition.  That still leaves books, apartment rental, furnishings, utilities, food etc.  She is going to pursue additional outside scholarships and grants as located.  The rest will be student loans and Dad's pocket.  I just bought a bedroom suit today for the journey to Birmingham and added it to the growing stack in my garage/shop.  South College in Knoxville would have been virtually free in comparison and she could have lived at home.  Although it is a good Pharm School to my knowledge, it is young yet and it does not carry the resume weight of Samford or UK.  I think what bothers me the most is a 4 hour response time if my "little girl" needs me.  It's a Dad thing.

31 minutes ago, Luap said:

UK would been the ticket. There in the top 5 pharmacy schools in the nation.  UT is in the Top 20 around 15-17.

As Peejman said she will have paper.  Good luck to her.

She originally accepted UK's generous offer and was all set to go this fall.  Partially because of their top 5 ranking in addition to us having family in Lexington.  She was not fond of the campus being in downtown and having to park far away and walk or catch a shuttle to the campus.  She changed her mind and chose Samford for the smaller campus atmosphere, mission opportunities and general atmosphere.  I wish I had never watched the movie "Taken".:(

IANAL, but to echo what David said, but since they don't define residence requirements in the carry law, it most likely means the requirements under their voting law/drivers license law.  I'm pretty sure as a full time student she's not required to become an AL resident, although it might not be a 'bad' idea if it reduces her in state tuition, getting a permit in AL is much easier than getting a permit in TN.

So if it's advantageous to become an AL resident, getting an AL permit would be the last of my worries.

• Like 1

Perhaps the pharmacy world is different, but in my experience the school only matters getting the first job. After that, work experience is far and away the biggest factor. Where you got the piece of paper only matters if the person doing the hiring has one from the same place, and even then it doesn't necessarily mean a lot. 

I understand the Daddy/daughter thing. One of my coworkers has both daughters in college in Alabama.  He drove there and back in a day to fix some rinky-dink problem with one of their cars. To which my answer was ... "she's in freakin' engineering school!  Tell her to figure it out and fix it yourself."  He just smiled.  I'm thankful for boys.  :) 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, peejman said:

I understand the Daddy/daughter thing. One of my coworkers has both daughters in college in Alabama.  He drove there and back in a day to fix some rinky-dink problem with one of their cars. To which my answer was ... "she's in freakin' engineering school!  Tell her to figure it out and fix it yourself."  He just smiled.  I'm thankful for boys.  :) 

NOPE!!! I have 3 grown daughters with semi competent husbands,  and I still do 99% of the work on their cars, I know if I do it, it is done right, and they and my grands are safe.

1 hour ago, john455 said:

NOPE!!! I have 3 grown daughters with semi competent husbands,  and I still do 99% of the work on their cars, I know if I do it, it is done right, and they and my grands are safe.

Heh... my wife has 2 sisters and I'd love it if my father-in-law would do the maintenance on my cars... except I'm a better mechanic than he is. 

Easter conversation led to the idea of me working on their cars after they paid $600 for a brake job that took the mechanic an hour at most, and it cost me $150 in parts to do the same to our van.