Unsucessful home invasion

http://www.live5news.com/story/34848467/police-homeowner-fatally-shoots-home-invasion-suspect-2nd-suspect-arrested

"The homeowner at that location, protecting his family, returned fire at the subject, and killed him as a result of the incident," Ollic said.

Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury said an autopsy on White is still underway, but confirmed he was struck four times.

Salisbury said the manner of death would be ruled a homicide, but added it would be ruled justifiable.

"In Berkeley County, if you kick someone's door in and you get shot, as long as I'm the coroner, that's going to be a justifiable homicide," Salisbury said.

Ollic said investigators believe the homeowner acted in self-defense and that the killing was justified.

Not considered murder, but he homicided the :poop: out of him.

• Like 7

Appears to be that the Police Chief (Ollic) made the statement not the coroner.  But still probably the call belongs to the local DA, but then it is SC so things may be done differently.

Another case of a thug getting the raw end of his attempt at crime!

Typically, (except during the Obama administration) the DA would make the ultimate decision to prosecute and what charges if any.  But it never hurts when someone in the system puts out an early public statement in support of the homeowners actions.

In that I don't have a clue as to the details of this event, or how the investigative procedure is structured in South Carolina, I was simply responding in abstract as to situations involving homeowners taking defensive actions.  When a homeowner is in fact being victimized by some perp, and investigating authorities make some statement in support of the homeowners actions, it can be quite comforting to the the homeowner/victim.  Typically, in Tennessee, if a preliminary statement is made it would be made by the Chief Law Enforcement agent conducting the investigation.  In some areas other than here, the Coroner carries much more weight and often includes a Coroners inquest.  I would not expect such a public statement from a Coroner in Tennessee with our investigative / judicial structure.

Again, that is under the assumption that the homeowner is in fact an innocent random victim, which may or may not be the case in this specific event.

On 3/18/2017 at 7:40 AM, bud said:

I was not aware that the county coroner was the decider on whether or not a homicide was justifiable?

Maybe the one who prepares the most delicious steaks is judge, jury, and executioner in this little town?

16 hours ago, bud said:

The article suggested the homeowners may have known the duo and/or expected something to happen.

I think the coroner's helping build a cover-up...or not. But either way that's like my plumber offering me electrical advice when my electrician is standing right there. Seems a little out of place to be making that call. 

Edited to add that I'm just stirring the pot here. The perp was obviously a career p.o.s., but the coroners statement struck me as a little above his pay-grade

The coroner in most places I’m aware of have sole jurisdiction over the investigation of deaths. They determine the cause and manner of death. The Police don’t do anything with a body until the Coroner releases it.

If the Police want to make an arrest or the DA wants to file charges after a Coroner has called the homicide “justifiable”; they are certainly free to do that. biggrin.gif

The part I find troubling about this story is that even though the woman had "an extensive felonious criminal record”; she was free. And even though she was a willful participant in a violent home invasion that resulted in death; she was given a bond. It’s too bad that apparently in SC she can’t be charged with murder. She should be, and she is clearly a danger to the citizens and shouldn’t be able to bond out.

• Like 1

What DA is going to want to go to bat on a death ruled justified by the county coroner?  Can you imagine the field day a defense attorney would have?  Unless there was something very strange going on I think that would pretty much guarantee reasonable doubt.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:55 AM, DaveTN said:

The coroner in most places I’m aware of have sole jurisdiction over the investigation of deaths. They determine the cause and manner of death. The Police don’t do anything with a body until the Coroner releases it.

If the Police want to make an arrest or the DA wants to file charges after a Coroner has called the homicide “justifiable”; they are certainly free to do that. biggrin.gif

The part I find troubling about this story is that even though the woman had "an extensive felonious criminal record”; she was free. And even though she was a willful participant in a violent home invasion that resulted in death; she was given a bond. It’s too bad that apparently in SC she can’t be charged with murder. She should be, and she is clearly a danger to the citizens and shouldn’t be able to bond out.

Some places have a coroner and a coroner's office.  Some places have medical examiners.  I was thinking that 'coroner' was different from 'medical examiner' - meaning that the two are not the same - in that 'coroner' actually has more authority when it comes to deciding murder, justifiable homicide, etc. and conducting investigations whereas a medical examiner mostly just gives medical input as in, "This is what killed him/her," - cause of death - and someone else decides to call it a 'murder' or not.  From what you say, it sounds like I was right.  In fact, don't some coroner's offices have their own, legally empowered investigators attached specifically to them just like some fire departments have investigators attached to them who investigate cases of suspected arson?

Edited by JAB