M1 Carbine project, another $40 box

After a final session sighting it in (@25 yards) I'm now ready to learn how to shoot it properly.

I got it as a sporterized NPM with a 3/44 Underwood barrel. The ordnance stamp on the barrel and stock show a trip to the armory, at least once. I'm curious why it has a Type 1 barrel band. With that late a barrel I would assume a bayonet lug. The original hanguard, though varnished, is stamped RMC, so I have a small piece of Rockola.

With now over 300 successful round fired on the rebuild (and about the same before ironing out all the kinks) I'm pretty confident with it mechanically.

I rebuilt the bolt, replaced the piston as well as the recoil and hammer springs. Left the trigger group alone.

I may upgrade to a M2 mag catch

Found parts and compared prices starting with  Fulton Armory and Numrich. 

The big reveal is what did it cost? A few dollars here and there, I never really kept up...

Gun $400 (actually less, it was a bundle deal)

Modified-by-me-with-hacksaw optic mount $15

Burris FF 3 free (gift)

Choate folding stock $100

Beautifully made aluminum front railed handguard, $130. Not displayed, but for display purposes only. It gets ridiculously hot after 50 rounds fired.

Vented sheet metal front handguard $15

Mags and pouch $90

Bolt tool and piston wrench $50

Spare bolt parts and springs $30

1 / 2 point sling $30

Covert carry, Prince tennis racket case $40

I just did the math too.

Love hours spent, priceless

IMG_20170319_144020097.jpg

IMG_20180315_092252894.jpg

IMG_20170319_144020097.jpg

Edited by Gotthegoods
Added pic
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Old Mitch said:

I like!  But just to warn you LOL, by posting this and also saying you bought the tennis racket covert case, you probably put yourself on a watch list somewhere! 

Everyone on this board has gone sailing past that point and waved while going by. 

I do like the workbench and the guns in the drawers lol. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Glad you finally got this project worked out. Any chance you'll be bringing it to the training day this Sunday?

Interesting soft-sell, subliminal plant to hook me into participating.

Nice job, because I am now I'm thinking about it.

• 11 months later...

Died again, trying to resurrect.

Extractor failed, was new old stock.

Under a loop I can't tell is there is any crystalization.

Ordered new manufacture from Fulton Armory, all parts and pieces to rebuild the bolt again.

Reaching expert level on this thing.

Hopeful this will resolve my problem, I prefer shooting it over my AR...it's more satisfying...

21 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Died again, trying to resurrect.

Extractor failed, was new old stock.

Under a loop I can't tell is there is any crystalization.

Ordered new manufacture from Fulton Armory, all parts and pieces to rebuild the bolt again.

Reaching expert level on this thing.

Hopeful this will resolve my problem, I prefer shooting it over my AR...it's more satisfying...

Been there myself.  The extractor is the weak link on M1 Carbines so “they” say and since I’ve dealt with a broken one before I tend to agree. They also say steel case ammo is rough on that part. 

That last sentence I completely agree with.  They are immensely satistying to shoot.

Yep, stay away from steel cased ammo. I bought a case of Wolf several years ago because it was cheap. Damned stuff broke two extractors in my carbines. :censored: Still have about half of it left and just ain't sure what to do with it. :confused:

BTW: the picture in the OP is gone. Would you mind reposting it so I can see this beast? 

9 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

If you know anybody with a Ruger Blackhawk .30, they may be interested in the Wolf steel.

I had one, bought it just to use up the rest of that Wolf ammo. Didn't work, had to beat the empties out. :censored:

I have one of the Ulta-Mak Forwrd Optic Mounts on one of my Carbines and it works great. I've never had any heating problems with it, but then I don't empty mags as fast as I can either. :rolleyes:

Here's my Zombie Rifle in all it's glory. :eek:

nWZFVnK.jpg

I'm gonna move the EOTech to the new AR just to try it out. If I decide to leave it there, I'm thinking I might put this back in the wooden stock (need to refinish it first) and put a LER scope on it. That forward rail has been too good not to keep using it. :up:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ran 180 mixed rounds today.

PPU FMJ & SP and Hornady FTX Critical Defense.

3 failure to feed the PPU fmj, pretty sure it is mag related, it's the rusty 30 rounder and the spring is weak.

No issues with full 30 rounds sagging in the mag well though I should upgrade to a type 2 mag catch.

This photo is 25 yards, 25 rounds / same mag of the FTX,  sitting and supported with a bag, about a two second interval

I tweaked the sight a bit after this string.

IMG_20180414_115108285.jpg