Sign in to follow this  
Gotthegoods

M1 Carbine project is complete

After a final session sighting it in (@25 yards) I'm now ready to learn how to shoot it properly.

I got it as a sporterized NPM with a 3/44 Underwood barrel. The ordnance stamp on the barrel and stock show a trip to the armory, at least once. I'm curious why it has a Type 1 barrel band. With that late a barrel I would assume a bayonet lug. The original hanguard, though varnished, is stamped RMC, so I have a small piece of Rockola.

With now over 300 successful round fired on the rebuild (and about the same before ironing out all the kinks) I'm pretty confident with it mechanically.

I rebuilt the bolt, replaced the piston as well as the recoil and hammer springs. Left the trigger group alone.

I may upgrade to a M2 mag catch

Found parts and compared prices starting with  Fulton Armory and Numrich. 

The big reveal is what did it cost? A few dollars here and there, I never really kept up...

Gun $400 (actually less, it was a bundle deal)

Modified-by-me-with-hacksaw optic mount $15

Burris FF 3 free (gift)

Choate folding stock $100

Beautifully made aluminum front railed handguard, $130. Not displayed, but for display purposes only. It gets ridiculously hot after 50 rounds fired.

Vented sheet metal front handguard $15

Mags and pouch $90

Bolt tool and piston wrench $50

Spare bolt parts and springs $30

1 / 2 point sling $30

Covert carry, Prince tennis racket case $40

I just did the math too.

Love hours spent, priceless

IMG_20170319_144020097.jpg

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 4

Sweet looking rifle, congrats on finishing it.

I would like more pics of the bench/work table ya got there.:dirty:

• Like 1

Nice job on the rifle. $400 is a heck of a price on an NPM. Did you have that when I bought that ammo from you?

• Like 1

I like!  But just to warn you LOL, by posting this and also saying you bought the tennis racket covert case, you probably put yourself on a watch list somewhere! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old Mitch said:

I like!  But just to warn you LOL, by posting this and also saying you bought the tennis racket covert case, you probably put yourself on a watch list somewhere! 

Everyone on this board has gone sailing past that point and waved while going by. 

I do like the workbench and the guns in the drawers lol. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 6:49 PM, gjohnsoniv said:

Everyone on this board has gone sailing past that point, shooting the bird and cackling like a loon while going by...

FTFY. ;)

Speaking for myself of course. 

• Like 2

Glad you finally got this project worked out. Any chance you'll be bringing it to the training day this Sunday?

5 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Glad you finally got this project worked out. Any chance you'll be bringing it to the training day this Sunday?

Interesting soft-sell, subliminal plant to hook me into participating.

Nice job, because I am now I'm thinking about it.

Nice job....nothing like taking this and that and making a fully functional old rifle. And yes....I like your desk.:up: