How about the 5" M&P Pro?

Wingshooter

I'm going to get a new pistol for 3gun and general range fun, and I like the way the 5" M&P 9 Pro feels in the hand. I've read some conflicting reports about the accuracy of the older ones. How are they now?

I'd be interested in opinions comparing it to the VP9 and full size P320 also because I'm considering them as well.  I have plenty of Glocks and love them all, but I just want something different this time.

• Authorized Vendor

I have one..made it my range toy and it's loaded down with Apex Tactical internal parts so not sure how it compares with all the others but with the competition trigger and all the other crap it's pretty darn deadly. A friend of mine has a new one and he never misses with his so I assume they have worked out any bugs they may have had in the past.

I bought this one in 2012...

008.JPG

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor
1 hour ago, Wingshooter said:

@Grand Torino nice looking gun! Are the Apex parts a DIY drop-in, or do they need fitting by a gunsmith? Does it shoot well with most ammo?

Most everything I have in it was done by myself and a friend who is very gun knowledgeable back in AZ. He's not a smith but never blinked when it came to doing it.

• Like 1

I've got one with the apex upgrade. I feel it's a necessary improvement on the pro series. I've had the performance center and core models, but I prefer the standard with the apex flat trigger. I never did like suppressor sights, couldn't get used to a red dot on top and porting wasn't necessary. For the money you can't beat it in my opinion. I prefer it to a Glock. This is the one that sits on my night stand. 

IMG_3748.JPG

Edited by gunrunner32
  • Like 3

I just (December) bought a PERFORMANCE CENTER M&P9L PRO SERIES C.O.R.E. SKU: 178058.

I never I thought I would say this about and Smith & Wesson gun; but what a disappointment. I don’t believe this gun ever saw the inside of the Performance Center unless it was on a cart passing through.

I have owned several M&P’s and right now have a full Size 40, Compact 40, Shield 40, and two M&P rifles besides this 9 I just got. My full size and compact are off the shelf LEO guns from 2009 and have far better triggers than this disappointment I just bought.

Those of you here that know me know I am a S&W fan boy to the max; so this is hard to say. I wanted this gun to be a competition range gun with an optic. This gun has been back to S&W twice without me attempting to fire a shot, and it still has not been fired.

I told Customer support it had a terrible trigger, had no Performance Center marking and was not in a Performance Center box. I told them there must be a mistake; this is no PC gun. I truly believed they had sent me the wrong gun.

They had me send it in and returned it with paperwork that said “No repairs required”. I was pissed. This trigger feels like its rolling across a gravel parking lot.

I emailed back asking for a supervisor to call me. Five days later I got a call. After informing him of the issue he suggested I send the gun in for the Performance Center to evaluate. I explained that I just got the gun back from having been there. I didn’t see what good sending it in again would do.  He agreed and said he would look into it. I told him that if I couldn’t get a Performance Center gun; I would like a refund if possible. He said he didn’t have the authority to authorize that. He said he would talk to the Performance Center manager and get back with me the next day.

7 days later I emailed them that he had not called. Their response was: “I am sure he will be getting back to you. Probably this week.”

11 days later I knew I wasn’t going to hear anything and I sat down and wrote a letter documenting everything and mailed it to the CEO and the Firearms Director of Smith & Wesson.

The day the letters arrived there I got a call from a Supervisor. He said he just came from a meeting with the Firearms Director after he got my letter. He said he would take care of my issues. He ask me to send the gun in again. He said they don’t mark “Performance Center” on these guns, they don’t come in performance center cases; but it is a Performance Center gun and should have a good trigger.  He said I didn’t need to explain anything with the gun; it was coming directly to him and he would take it to the Performance Center. He also said my gun was missing the C.O.R.E. marking. He said he would get the gun fixed and send a Performance center case, and give me a range bag for my troubles.

22 days later they shipped the gun back. The work order said “won’t fire” (That was never the issue). It also said Evaluate/Repair Passed Range Testing. Same bad trigger; nothing was done to it. A couple of days later I got a S&W aluminum case and range bag. (NOT a Performance Center case.)

I have heard a lot of people lately saying that S&W Customer Support had really gone bad. Having to spend a hundred or two on an Apex trigger for a new Smith & Wesson is ridiculous.

If the Firearms Director at Smith & Wesson doesn’t have enough horsepower to get his guys to fix a problem; my chances are slim to none.

I’m disappointed and disgusted. … and stuck with a gun I don’t want.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that, @DaveTN.  Must be more disappointing to you with how much you rave about your S&Ws.  I would send it back again with a sticky note stuck to the trigger stating, "Problem is HERE" with a note explaining the issue taped to the pistol

Edited by ma6907
  • Like 1

Wow @DaveTN that really stinks. I'm not sure what else you could do that you haven't already done. Maybe write another letter but such a hastle. I'll definitely take your review into consideration. So... how about the VP9? LOL

The M&P I have been looking at is SKU 178010. It sounds like if I do go with an M&P, I'm at least looking at an Apex tregger.

• Administrator

@DaveTN post a photo of your gun, please.  Left hand side of the slide.  If it doesn't look like this, I'd be surprised to learn that your gun really is a Performance Center model.  And if it doesn't look like this, have you tried emailing S&W photos along with the serial number to have them validate whether it is a PC model or not?  Maybe you didn't buy what you think you bought.

Ported version:

maxresdefault.jpg

Non-Ported Pro Version

178058_01_lg_0_0.jpg?itok=2H3Izh26

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, TGO David said:

@DaveTN post a photo of your gun, please.  Left hand side of the slide.  If it doesn't look like this, I'd be surprised to learn that your gun really is a Performance Center model.  And if it doesn't look like this, have you tried emailing S&W photos along with the serial number to have them validate whether it is a PC model or not?  Maybe you didn't buy what you think you bought.

David, I have given the information to everyone from the first customer support contact to the CEO of Smith and Wesson. I have sent them pictures of the gun and the label on the end of the box. They have had the gun in their hands….TWICE. We have been going back and forth since December.

They assure me it is a Performance Center model even though it says that nowhere on the gun; it clearly has it on the Website.

I thought I was buying a PC model; that’s what the web site says.

Clearly it is not. This is nothing more than a stock M&P C.O.R.E.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-9l-pro-series-core

On 3/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, gunrunner32 said:

I've got one with the apex upgrade. I feel it's a necessary improvement on the pro series. I've had the performance center and core models, but I prefer the standard with the apex flat trigger. I never did like suppressor sights, couldn't get used to a red dot on top and porting wasn't necessary. For the money you can't beat it in my opinion. I prefer it to a Glock. This is the one that sits on my night stand. 

IMG_3748.JPG

Possibly soon to be my next setup as well thanks for helping me visualize it. I might add a Springer mag release as well.

I have had a 5" Pro for about 4 yrs.  Daughter has one.  Wife a 4 " pro plus several other standard models , 45, 22, shield.  All full size have either duty or comp trigger upgrades.  Mine has the flat trigger and 'smith fit apex barrel.  I highly recommend the bbl.. 10 shot group 1.25" @ 25 yds.  To me the 320 was nice but prefer my apexed Pro.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LngRngShtr said:

Possibly soon to be my next setup as well thanks for helping me visualize it. I might add a Springer mag release as well.

I've been looking at those, mainly for my CZ since they want well over $100 for their 26 round mags. They make nice stuff, I had their mag bases on my SP-01. If you ever find yourself in Clarksville and want to try this out pm me before you head up. I work at an indoor range on saturdays. 

Edited by gunrunner32

Unfortunately, reports like Dave's of S&W customer service and quality are becoming more common. I would pass on the Smith.

I have a VP9 with over 15,000 rounds without a single malfunction or stoppage. Trigger is great out of the box, but upgrades can be had.

And with any HK, accuracy is excellent. 

You mentioned the VP9...well hold your horses becauses the long slide is soon to be released. That's what I would recommend. 

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/products/military/pistols/sfp9/sfp9-l/product-overview.html

Edited by PC7
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, PC7 said:

Unfortunately, reports like Dave's of S&W customer service and quality are becoming more common. I would pass on the Smith.

I have a VP9 with over 15,000 rounds without a single malfunction or stoppage. Trigger is great out of the box, but upgrades can be had.

And with any HK, accuracy is excellent. 

You mentioned the VP9...well hold your horses becauses the long slide is soon to be released. That's what I would recommend. 

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/products/military/pistols/sfp9/sfp9-l/product-overview.html

Hmmm. VP9 long slide. :hyper:

I shot the M&P 9L for several years as my primary 3 gun pistol before stepping up to a 2011.  I really like the 5" M&P guns.  If you get one go for the 2.0 version.  I believe it is only available in flat dark Earth currently.  It will give you the best factory M&P trigger yet.  It is still not as good as an aftermarket trigger job or Apex job but it is not bad at all.  

I have multiple M&Ps and have been very happy with them.  If you are not committed to that platform, be patient and check out the 5" Sig 320 when it becomes available.  I discounted the Sig 320 until I finally handled one  The Beretta APX has a very nice feel to it but is the new kid on the block so to speak.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Taylor said:

......are we really going to use HK as an example of what to buy because of another companies customer service????

biggrin.gif

6 hours ago, DBTN said:

If you get one go for the 2.0 version.  I believe it is only available in flat dark Earth currently.  It will give you the best factory M&P trigger yet.  It is still not as good as an aftermarket trigger job or Apex job but it is not bad at all.  

Well if that’s true, I wonder why after having my gun twice and being told by the Senior Vice President of the Firearms Division to fix the problem; they didn’t put that trigger in my gun?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

biggrin.gif

Well if that’s true, I wonder why after having my gun twice and being told by the Senior Vice President of the Firearms Division to fix the problem; they didn’t put that trigger in my gun?

The first gen frames aren't strong enough to hold that much awesome.  True story.

• Like 2
On 3/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, gunrunner32 said:

IMG_3748.JPG

@gunrunner32  I particularly like that 'cat hair activator' on the light.  Special order?

• 4 months later...

I'm just now revisiting my plan to get a new 3gun pistol. I've been so busy, I just haven't had the time to play. 

The regular M&P9 is so cheap right now at several stores, I'm tempted to grab one. I know the 2.0 or the Pro would make a better competition gun. However, I do like using regular carry guns for 3gun though. I like the practice. I saw a new M&P9 for $314. 

I have several M&Ps, all apexed.  The 2.0 triggers in the 3 I have shot may be a little better than the 1.0 but not much. I just finished apex on a 2, big improvement.  I would get a deal on a standard 1.0 and apex it, including the barrel.  I have tried 320s and xdm.  Firmly a MP fan.

• Like 1