Built a new 9mm AR, and working on another

KKing

It's been a good while since I've actually posted. This is one of the guns I've built most recently and it's quickly become a favorite to shoot. A 25 yard zero is also a 125 yard zero which I love. About the only things that might change are the back up sights so I can get the light closer to the 12 o clock rail, and some paperwork needs to be filed. Anyway, parts are as follows...

-Quarter circle 10 lower and bolt
-CMT UPUR 2 upper
-Ballistic advantage 5.5" barrel
-BCM KMR 7" alpha rail
-KAK shockwave and tube
-PA advance micro dot
-Surefire scout mini on Arisaka mount

I need to get some better pictures soon
eab59cd772abdef9285b9a03b87e1d8a.jpg

I'm currently working on another 9mm AR that takes colt mags with a stripped CMMG MK9 lower. I'll update this post in a few weeks with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
So what paperwork needs to be filed on this? Is it not on a pistol lower? If it is not, is it not an issue having it assembled BEFORE filing?

A AR pistol does not need nor have to be built on a "pistol" lower, since receivers transfer as "receiver only".

What I was referring to was paperwork in the way of a form 1, to SBR this lower.

So that is a brace on that? I thought it was a stock.

I still don't like the fine line and gray area of pistol v sbr enough to build a pistol that can be sbr'd easily. Too much potential for issues from people that are not 100% up on the law. 

So that is a brace on that? I thought it was a stock.
I still don't like the fine line and gray area of pistol v sbr enough to build a pistol that can be sbr'd easily. Too much potential for issues from people that are not 100% up on the law. 

It's a "blade" vs a "brace", same basic concept. I'm not sure what your definition of "easily" is, but it would require removing the buffer tube and installing a new one to install a stock.

Now if you used a standard buffer tube, I could see why you would say "easily", but even then it's not illegal. If the ONLY way you can assemble a group of parts is in an illegal configuration, then it's illegal.

• Moderators

It's a "blade" vs a "brace", same basic concept. I'm not sure what your definition of "easily" is, but it would require removing the buffer tube and installing a new one to install a stock.

Now if you used a standard buffer tube, I could see why you would say "easily", but even then it's not illegal. If the ONLY way you can assemble a group of parts is in an illegal configuration, then it's illegal.

I think his main concern was being thrown to the ground by an eager LEO of whatever flavor at the range or even on the way to the range by someone who doesn't subscribe to the ATF's Twitter feed to see how they feel about an issue each day of the week.

I guess you could say that about anything. What if a overreaching police officer thought your 16" looked more like a 15" barrel? I mean...guess you should only run 18" barrels to avoid that. I get the concern, I just don't subscribe to it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
I guess you could say that about anything. What if a overreaching police officer thought your 16" looked more like a 15" barrel? I mean...guess you should only run 18" barrels to avoid that. I get the concern, I just don't subscribe to it.

It's very possible. The entirety of the actual NFA issue is the problem. It's absurd.

But I imagine there are more out there that would see issue and alarm with what effectively is an SBR (let's be honest, it's a loophole around paying a $200 tax isn't it?) and what would legally be a 16" AR.

It's very possible. The entirety of the actual NFA issue is the problem. It's absurd.

But I imagine there are more out there that would see issue and alarm with what effectively is an SBR (let's be honest, it's a loophole around paying a $200 tax isn't it?) and what would legally be a 16" AR.

Actually, with pistols it comes down to intent.
But, regardless I'll enjoy "cheeking" my blade until I can get my form 1 back with my permission from my masters to put a stock on something I already legally own. Good serf that I am and whatnot.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

"Finished" this one Friday. Still needs BUIS, a light, and a couple other do dads, but it's firing. Then again, I think there's something to be said for leaving it this way and just enjoying it. This one was much more a budget gun. Has a CMMG MK9 lower, Aero upper, Spinta bolt.

6c98878f48347ea8590284698b948f76.jpg

And just because I was bored, a picture showing a few different caliber AR's.

233265562db98d250709403ff5e04013.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/21/2017 at 7:17 AM, KKing said:

It's been a good while since I've actually posted. This is one of the guns I've built most recently and it's quickly become a favorite to shoot. A 25 yard zero is also a 125 yard zero which I love. About the only things that might change are the back up sights so I can get the light closer to the 12 o clock rail, and some paperwork needs to be filed. Anyway, parts are as follows...

-Quarter circle 10 lower and bolt
-CMT UPUR 2 upper
-Ballistic advantage 5.5" barrel
-BCM KMR 7" alpha rail
-KAK shockwave and tube
-PA advance micro dot
-Surefire scout mini on Arisaka mount

I need to get some better pictures soon
eab59cd772abdef9285b9a03b87e1d8a.jpg

I'm currently working on another 9mm AR that takes colt mags with a stripped CMMG MK9 lower. I'll update this post in a few weeks with that.

I really like this, roughly how much to build it?

I really like this, roughly how much to build it?

Thanks! You don't really want to know what it would take to replicate that one. Suffice it to say you could buy a nice factory built BCM RECCE for what I have in it. But it could easily be built a lot cheaper with lower end parts. Forged upper, bargain rail, cheaper lower from a variety of makers, things like that.

• Like 1
So have you shot it? Just wondering how reliable its been. I love the look of it.

Depending on which one you're talking about, I've put about 200 flawless rounds through the pistol and a handful through the rifle. I have a get together this coming weekend and both guns will have about 250 additional rounds put through them.

I bet that pistol would look good with a suppressor on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The plan is to add one after I SBR it. Then maybe add a longer rail to cover some of the can

• Like 1