New to reloading

I got my equipment and supplies from my dad. 7 truck loads from his house to mine and still boxes of lead ingots to haul this way. By his notes and invoices I have 3 cases of small pistol magnum primers and 1 case of small rifle magnum primers. Probable twice that much powder. He was big in shooting 38spl, 357, 9mm, 380 auto, 40sw, .223, 30car. and 7.62X39.

• Like 4

Just a caution:  If any of the powder is older, especially if it has been opened, always smell it before use.

If it stinks or has a funny smell, discard it.......do not use it.

Old loading books have a ton of info. New powders are simply that, new. Don't use old books (data) for new powders.

New books have a lot of info also. Be safe, read a lot, then read a lot.

Welcome, and since the first round is on you, I'll have a .327 federal......thank you.

• Like 1

First of all, welcome aboard from a northern neighbor. 

Next, a word of caution, you shouldn't take on two addictions at the same time. Reloading and casting are both very addictive, so to save you some grief, I'd be willing to take the lead off your hands :D.

Just joking of course, but as others have said, read, read and re-read. Don't depend on one reloading manual because they sometimes have conflicting information. 

But, if you do need to get rid of the lead................:whistle:

• 7 months later...

Welcome to TGO, and the hobby.  xsubsailor may of said it in jest, but I seriously think those two hobbies will take most of your time if you dive into both.  I would concentrate on reloading for a couple years before getting into casting (keep your lead :drool:).  I not too long ago got into casting, just to be able to have bullets (or boolits as some call them) in a shortage.  Definitely a relaxing hobby, and one you need to do with no distractions, enjoy.

As others have said reloading is an enjoyable hobby. However you have to be very precise in your reloading otherwise it can be dangerous to your firearms or yourself. If you can find some local reloaders that will be your fastest way to get started.  There are no shortcuts.

• 1 month later...

Why I haven't been here. Shortly after signing in  had a few moles removed, one was close to  lipp node so it was removed too. The moles came back clean, not the node. 4 months of kemo and a big drug bill. I need to retire, I feel like doing nothing.

DeepSouth, Welcome to the forum and casting reloading community.  Casting or reloading can help take your mind off the worries your going through. Kemo is no fun and will ware you down but try to keep up good spirits. Worry will eat you up. I had major surgery 2 yr ago and life changes. Still here  cause God knows I need to cast and reload till I can’t shoot no more. All that casting reloading stuff you received is to keep you going too. Have faith, chin up and enjoy this fine hobbie you inherit.

We are all here to help you learn and answer any questions you have.

Mike.

• 1 year later...

I got my disability retirement started, can't climb ladders, that was a major part of my job. My left arm is still weak.

Been casting a lot of boolits and sinkers. Sell a few sinkers and jigheads to the locals, but no boolits. Haven't sized or lubed them yet.

Been reading the old books and picked up a new one and printed off online load data. The old powder data is the same, just some new powders that aren't in the old books. I may never use them.

Decapping and sizing a bucket of 9mm cases is the only action I've had with the press. I read dad's notes before starting. Tumble in walnut so not to damage dies. These were stained pretty bad. After sizing they went through a wet tumble with stainless steel pins. Air dried then into the tumbler with corncob and Nu Finish. A lot of desiccant packs with them in the bucket.

McIvor Shooting Facility opened April 6, at Charles Ray Nix WMA west of Sardis, MS. I've been reading about it, can shoot all day for $15. Almost all day, Thur, Fri and Sun 12 to 6 and Sat 10 to 6. As close or closer than the ranges in W TN without having to drive through Memphis. Plus it's outdoor. May carry a couple of guns and some of these older reloads tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Dad made a single cylinder wet tumbler from a threadmill, very few notes left with it. A 6" PVC 22" long pipe with a cap at one and a screw on cap the the other., Fill cylinder with with brass, 5 lbs of pins, 2 Tsp Dawn, 1 tsp dishwasher dryer, fill with water.  Didn't matter if I used Teflon tape or wet seal it leaked. Brass would have wet seal on them and some of the pins would be stuck in it. I replaced it with a rubber expansion plug. Max time for the threadmill  is 150 minutes. Brass comes out looking great. Wash water goes into the flowerbeds, boxwoods and roses seem to like it along with rinse water. Rinse 2 times and spin to remove pins then back into the cylinder with 2 Tsp Nu Finish and filled with water. Set timer for 150 minutes. Spin and rinse 2 times to remove more pins. Garden plants don't need this water, dump in lawn.  Then to a 10" pvc cylinder with screened windows with a fan behind the threadmill for cool air drying for 150 minutes. Added note, wash hands, apply a little Nu Finish to hands before handling brass. I had orange spots when I didn't. Inspect 380, 9m, 38spl, 357 and 223 brass before loading. Pins like ti hang in them.

First time to McIvor Shooting Facility 09/06/2019 had the pistol range to myself. Couldn't get any kind of pattern with my 40 sw. Did a bit better with my 9m. A little better with my 357. 38spl, there was no heart left in the target after 200 rounds. Guess I'm a 38spl wheel man. 

I saw a sign driving to the range, fresh produce. I stopped when leaving, everything was $1 per lb. by his scale I got 8 lbs of Mortgage lifter tomatoes. 12 lbs of okra, 8 lbs of yellow straight neck squash. At home potatoes were added to the okra for frying, onions were add to the squash for frying. A quart of purple hull peas and a pan of buttermilk cornbread 

"potatoes added to okra" 

Cut the potatoes like you would do fries, 1/4 to 1/2" square then cut them about 1/2" long. About half potatoes and half okra. Bread them with the okra. I use cornmeal, add a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to the mix. Shake off some of the mix as you add them to the grease.