Not Receiving Email Notifications

On 4/1/2017 at 9:12 PM, hughd said:

I received email notifications today. First time an many weeks! Thank you. Also, for what its worth I had been "locked out" for several days. When I tried to change my email address I was not receiving the confirmation email so I was stuck in limbo.

Well, I seem to be back to no email notifications. Guess I will try one more email address before I let it go and give up...

Edited by hughd
  • Like 1

Thank you MemHeli.  I tried following the forum using the other link you mentioned on Monday.  Still nothing here as far as notifications for the classified forum.  I'd say that I'm getting a litle upset but that wouldn't be accurate as I have been extremely upset about this for a while now.  This absolutely sucks and there doesn't seem to be anything that is going to be done to rectify it.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, DHF said:

Thank you MemHeli.  I tried following the forum using the other link you mentioned on Monday.  Still nothing here as far as notifications for the classified forum.  I'd say that I'm getting a litle upset but that wouldn't be accurate as I have been extremely upset about this for a while now.  This absolutely sucks and there doesn't seem to be anything that is going to be done to rectify it.

I'm right there with you.  Frankly it's the largest reason I pay to be a member of the forums - and I'm not able to make best use of the one feature I value most (hawking the classifieds).  

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Guys, I've been working to resolve this but it's not been easy.  I know some of you seem really frustrated and feel confident that I am probably more frustrated than any of you are because it's not something that I can just snap my fingers and resolve.

One way that you can be sure to get updates on things being posted to the Classifieds is to go into the forum set aside for each Classified category and "Follow" it using the link at the top right of the page.  The forum should email you anytime a new ad is posted.  Try that and let me know how it works.

2017-04-27_20-16-40.thumb.png.04931c2384

• Administrator
22 hours ago, DHF said:

This absolutely sucks and there doesn't seem to be anything that is going to be done to rectify it.

This is going to sound really snippy, but you're welcome to try and fix it.  TGO is essentially a one-man show.  Me.  And I do this in my off-hours when I am not working in the healthcare industry or spending time with my family.  If it seems like I am a little touchy about that comment, it's probably because I am.

Walk a mile in my shoes or fix some random email problems for me, then lob accusations if you want.

• Administrator
On 4/26/2017 at 7:54 PM, hughd said:

Well, I seem to be back to no email notifications. Guess I will try one more email address before I let it go and give up...

You're not getting email because Yahoo.com says your email address isn't valid.  So that's the reason for your problems.

2017-04-27_20-25-18.png

2017-04-27_20-23-35.thumb.png.d1ba83c77f

• Like 1
  • Administrator

4 hours ago, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ said:

Ditto you guys.  Classifieds were my favorite feature as well.

-Jon

I don't get your complaint other than the Classifieds notifications.  We're showing that mail is being delivered to you AND you are opening it.

2017-04-27_20-27-19.png

• Administrator
22 hours ago, DHF said:

And the same for you.  Email is being delivered to you and you're opening it, as recently as today.  So... ?

2017-04-27_20-29-12.thumb.png.fd1f45c264

9 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I don't get your complaint other than the Classifieds notifications.  We're showing that mail is being delivered to you AND you are opening it.

2017-04-27_20-27-19.png.a1883edaedcb094a

I do get emails, all but classifieds.... that's what I stated.

David, I understand this is frustrating.  It's frustrating for you and us.  However, if not for this thread and the occasionally update, how would you know if you got the classifieds email working again?

I offered to be a guinea pig and will try whatever you suggest.  As per your earlier post in this thread, I am currently following each of the classified forums. 

-Jon

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ said:

I do get emails, all but classifieds.... that's what I stated.

David, I understand this is frustrating.  It's frustrating for you and us.  However, if not for this thread and the occasionally update, how would you know if you got the classifieds email working again?

I offered to be a guinea pig and will try whatever you suggest.  As per your earlier post in this thread, I am currently following each of the classified forums. 

-Jon

If I had something for you to test, I would certainly take you up on it.  Right now I am awaiting another response from the Classifieds software author.

David,

My whole career has been and is supporting tech and I have often been the "one man show".  I understand the difficulty, am sympathetic and respect the all the time & effort you put in.  I also believe we have all been very patient with this issue and considering how important it is to all of us, continue to be.  But we have not heard much back from anyone on this in a while so I believe we have all been wondering if it was still being looked into.  TGO is more to all of us than just a Forum, it is a community, so please trust that we all respect that and those who use there time to keep it in existence, very much.

I thought it was understood that the issue was with the Classifieds portion of the forum.  We have been discussing how we do not receive notifications from the Classified section but do receive email notifications on things pertaining to this thread.  As ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ stated above, I believe I am getting all emails except for those from the Classifieds.

I’ve documented many of the things I’ve tried such as changing email delivery to a Gmail account, which didn’t resolve anything (I’ve since changed back to my main account).  I’ve tried “toggling” the Follow on and off on a forum.  Tried following individual items/posts on the Classifieds forum, logged in, logged out, tried different combinations. Etc…

I would love for this to be a brain fart moment on my part and a simple fix that I have overlooked.  I just don’t know what else to try or who to contact.  This forum is the only tech support I am aware of for this site.  That is why we have posted our concerns here. 

Please excuse anything that does not flow well in the above.  It has been a long day.

Thank you again for your time,

• Like 1
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, DHF said:

Thank you again for your time,

I need to sign in as one of you guys having trouble and check some settings.  Do you mind if I do so using your account?  I don't need your password; the forum has a feature that lets me do this if I need to.  I just generally don't.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I need to sign in as one of you guys having trouble and check some settings.  Do you mind if I do so using your account?  I don't need your password; the forum has a feature that lets me do this if I need to.  I just generally don't.

Knock yourself out.

• Administrator

4 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Knock yourself out.

Thanks.  I just forced a query through the database that might have reset everyone's email settings to get notifications for things they follow.

If you're following this thread, you might have just received an email when I wrote this reply.

10 hours ago, TGO David said:

You're not getting email because Yahoo.com says your email address isn't valid.  So that's the reason for your problems.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:54 PM, hughd said:

13 hours ago, TGO David said:

And the same for you.  Email is being delivered to you and you're opening it, as recently as today.  So... ?

2017-04-27_20-29-12.thumb.png.fd1f45c264

Yea it's the same for me - I'm getting email notifications of post changes like this comment I make right here will generate an email to me that  I WILL receive.  It's the classifies emails that don't seem to be coming.  I actually own a web-dev company (that doesn't mean I know how to write code ;)  )  so I definitely understand where you are coming from.  These things can be tough to find.  I suspect that the mailing/notification daemon in the classifies plug-in is at fault somehow, but that' without really knowing how things are setup.  I'd be happy to chat/call and see if there's any other ideas that come from it.     

Were you following me on the different URL's I found for the classifies sections in my previous post.  I also suspected maybe that was related to the code not firing email notifications.  

Appreciate your efforts.

Edited by MemHeli