Question raised in carry permit class.....

2 hours ago, wipfel said:

There does seem to be at least some case law that looks into the intent to intimidate.

Like DaveTN, I don't see how federal law is pertinent to the issue at all, and especially a niche intent issue within a federal robbery case.

- OS

If my plan to de-escalate a situation is to flash, draw or use my gun, I might not ought to be carrying a gun.

If I'm filling up my car at 3am, I may want to reconsider my overall lifestyle...Am I doing dumb things at dumb times in dumb places with dumb people?

• Like 6
On 3/31/2017 at 11:03 AM, Gotthegoods said:

If my plan to de-escalate a situation is to flash, draw or use my gun, I might not ought to be carrying a gun.

If I'm filling up my car at 3am, I may want to reconsider my overall lifestyle...Am I doing dumb things at dumb times in dumb places with dumb people?

In all fairness, you can get caught out at odds times without violating the rule of dumb.  We had an alarm go off at one of our businesses 3 weeks ago, and I got a call and had to drive down there at 2am to meet the police and let them in.  False alarm, but I still had to go.  I didn't need to stop for gas, but I could have.

So there are rare times responsible adults have to be out late at night.

• Like 2

Situational awareness is important.  Anticipating situations and avoiding them is equally important.

• I'm never out that late. If I were out that late for an emergency, I wouldn't need to stop for gas because...
  • I never go home without enough gas left in the tank to make another trip and return home. 
  • I don't gas up after dark. 
  • I always gas up at my neighborhood gas station that prominently posts a sign "Concealed Carry Welcomed Here."

If for some reason all the above failed and someone is casing me while filling up, I am definitely putting my right hand in the 5 o'clock position under my jacket and looking in their direction. There is no need to expose your handgun or even have a handgun. Bad guys know what this movement means. I was followed into a parking lot once. I was positive because I noticed it early and zigzagged to get to my car and was still followed. When I reached my car, I paused, looked over at him, and casually put my hand in the position described. The guy never made eye contact, but immediately peeled off.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2017 at 5:43 PM, DaveTN said:

I’ll fight or take an azz whipping before I pull a gun on someone. But if someone threatens me with a weapon; I have no problem with using deadly force to save my life or the life of another.

But at the end of the day whether you are an HCP holder, cop or citizen with a gun in your car, you have to be prepared to do whatever you need to so you can go home.

Very well put and well said. In fact I have backed away and been looked down on and had some people accuse me of being "scared of the guy" because I chose to walk away from an immature escalation of an incident with a young man.

On 3/31/2017 at 11:03 AM, Gotthegoods said:

Also, this ole world runs 24/7, and not everyone works a 9 to 5. Many of us get off during the night time, and just because we are gassing up at 3 AM doesn't mean we are up to no good or making bad choices.

While I agree with the first part of your post, I have to chime in for those of us who don't have a choice on when we have to navigate the night.

Edited by BlackHawk93
  • Like 2
On 3/24/2017 at 2:49 PM, CJDore said:

So this question was raised in my carry permit class.......

You are at a convenience store at 2 or 3 AM to get gas. As you are gassing  up you notice a thug outside that appears to be casing you out for a possible score. You are carrying your weapon concealed. While this thug is casing you out is it alright to pull your shirt or coat back to reveal your weapon?

Instructor thought that this would be threatening and would not be OK. I personally felt that this may defuse the upcoming confrontation. Thoughts?

maxresdefault.jpg