9mm is the best handgun caliber. Period.

7 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Europe had guns before the white eyes came to America, try not to be prejudiced. ;)

- OS

Doesn't it get hot carrying that matchlock in your pocket? :P

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

I absolutely, whole heartedly agree that 9mm is the best handgun caliber ever.  Period.  I mean, after all, .357 Magnum/.38 Special is, technically, 9mm, right?  Heck, there are even Ruger single action revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum/.38 Special that are capable of also firing 9mm Parabellum.  We all know that .357 Magnum/.38 Special is the best, all around handgun caliber ever invented, right?  So, even though Mr. Vickers may have gotten a little confused as to which 9mm is the greatest of all time, the basic premise as described in the thread title is 100% correct as well as being indisputable fact.  Period and exclamation point, no semicolon required.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
On 3/25/2017 at 11:06 AM, gun sane said:

All I can say is that Sean Connery as James Bond (hats off everyone) fluctuated between a .32 and .380 ACP for several films and look at his body count.....I mean dead bad guys, not the other kind.   :pleased:

Well, .380 is also a 9mm (called 9mm Short, 9mm Kurz or 9mm Corto in some places) so apparently even Bond eventually came around to agree.  Unfortunately, like Mr. Vickers, he just got confused and went with the wrong 9mm.  See, just one more example proving that the Metric System is too confusing.  Had he been using standard caliber measurements he would have known to go with the correct '9mm' - the .357 Magnum/.38 Special -  and all that confusion could have been avoided.

Edited by JAB
2 hours ago, JAB said:

Well, .380 is also a 9mm (called 9mm Short, 9mm Kurz or 9mm Corto in some places) so apparently even Bond eventually came around to agree.  Unfortunately, like Mr. Vickers, he just got confused and went with the wrong 9mm.  See, just one more example proving that the Metric System is too confusing.  Had he been using standard caliber measurements he would have known to go with the correct '9mm' - the .357 Magnum/.38 Special -  and all that confusion could have been avoided.

His wife probably told him just to stick with simply “nine”. As in “Honey your “nine” is so cute; that’s what I want, does it come in pink. Or, “Honey your “nine” doesn’t kick nearly as much as that “forty” or “forty five” or whatever that other big thing I shot was; they made my hands hurt.

11 hours ago, Raoul said:

The best caliber is the one you carry daily.PERIOD!!!

FIFY Red333

Best post in the thead, so far. PERIOD!!!

Edited by RED333
20 hours ago, JAB said:

People choosing to use half the name has nothing to do with metric or standard. You can do the same with standard.  .38 revolver.   Is it special or smith?  Don't know, not enough information. 

3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

It was CYA for the Miami Shootout to begin with.

Aaaaaand can anyone tell the class what caliber handgun was used by a super tough F.B.I. agent to end the Miami shootout and finally take the (admittedly already wounded) bad guys down?  A 9mm Luger?  Nope.  A .45acp?  Nope.  A 10mm?  Nope.  It was a .357 Magnum revolver loaded with .38 Special +P ammunition (ftw).

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, JAB said:

Aaaaaand can anyone tell the class what caliber handgun was used by a super tough F.B.I. agent to end the Miami shootout and finally take the (admittedly already wounded) bad guys down?  A 9mm Luger?  Nope.  A .45acp?  Nope.  A 10mm?  Nope.  It was a .357 Magnum revolver loaded with .38 Special +P ammunition (ftw).

Ding! Caliber didn't matter, except when the CYA fest kicked in.

21 minutes ago, Taylor said:

2 pages and nobody has started quoting physics to prove 9mm is the best ?????

Is everyone here new to Al's internet?

Unlike old Al, most of us here prefer to know what we are talking about before flapping our jaws. The quantum physicists haven't made it yet ;)

46 minutes ago, Taylor said:

2 pages and nobody has started quoting physics to prove 9mm is the best ?????

Is everyone here new to Al's internet?

I love Al's site. When it comes to this subject, the physics are simple. ALL the most popular handgun calibers are way underpowered. And, there's not a big difference in energy between any of the two. And, each has its strong and weak points when it comes to terminal ballistics. But, the differences just aren't big enough to make much difference, especially when you factor in capacity and shootability. I own most of them, and carry most of them. I carry mostly 9, just in case I have to loan my gun to my girl :) 

Oh come'on....we all know that the best handgun for self defense is the one you have on you at the time of need. You can't talk self defense without talking conceal-abilty in the venue you are in when attacked. 22 - 45 beats a knife at a gunfight every time.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

Caliber, like everything else, is application driven.  If the manufacturers would start making a 158 gr. 357 Magnum Rimless JHP; it and a .22LR would cover all my handgun needs. Until then a .40 S&W and a .45 ACP will be required.

But no, they waste their time with nonsense no one wants like .45 GAP, .357 SIG, and 10mm. biggrin.gif

• Like 1