HumVee

26 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I might be wrong, there are always loopholes and so forth, but it was my understanding that one of the provisions for buying the old decommed HMMWVs is that never be titled for on road use.

This was my understanding also, based on talking with a person at the online auction site and also with the county clerk's office (license plate desk) a couple years ago. Passed up on a low mileage one for $7k for this very reason. Was told it would have to be used on your own property or trailered to offroad locations.

I have seen several in Tn for sale with plates...

For your reading pleasure, I've posted through out this post, my H1 is at the bottom of pg1

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1831291_So-You-Want-To-Buy-A-Surplus-HMMWV-Humvee---A-How-To-Guide--And-All-Other-Things-HMMWV-Too--.html&page=1

Couple tips for your buddy

1) buy 1 as complete as possible, buying parts quickly add up$$$$$.

2) most will have 6.2L NA/3spd, I'd look for a 6.5L turbo/4spd, these started showing up early 2000 (I think).

3) Tools, you need tools, lots and lots of tools...oh yeah you'll need parts, lots and lots of spare parts!!!

I'm looking at a couple different variants, this is the holly grail, first time 1045 came up for action, waiting to see what the sell for on the 28th..

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/auction.ips?msg=21331&kwtag=auctioncarousel#msg=21331&sm=0&md=M1045A2+Humvee&sort=p desc&mf=1

Thanks J.R.!

Just passed along, he lives in Alabama when titling and registering is less advanced than TN.

Also a great resource if anyone here is considering it in lieu of an occasional-use beat up 4x4 for hauling stuff and driving to the shooting place, or other outdoor activities.

2 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

3) Tools, you need tools, lots and lots of tools...oh yeah you'll need parts, lots and lots of spare parts!!!

^^^This^^^

I couldn't fathom buying a government surplus HMMWV without having my old battalion maintenance section to go along with it.

Edited by btq96r
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

^^^This^^^

I couldn't fathom buying a government surplus HMMWV without having my old battalion maintenance section to go along with it.

You'd be surprised how new some can be, this one is a 2012 with 8mi.

http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/Humvees-AM-General-M1045A2-Humvee-HMMWV-California/875833?h=5002%2Cmsg|21331%2CisAuc|yes&rr=0.06667&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

My H1 had boat loads of issues after I bought it, thank god it was under warranty and all the bugs were worked out before my extended warranty expired,  I won't lie I carry tools and parts under my rear seats just in case :censored:...

I luv it when its running and cuss it when its not...

Edited by Johnny Rotten
58 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

A buddy of mine bought a 2004? Humvee. It seems that repairs are a lot more expensive than you might think. It also gets about 10-11 mpg. If you drive 15,000 miles a year as I do, that's going to get old pretty fast. 

They're awesome for offroad use only, as soon as you say "conversion", it enters the same realm as a boat.  The two happiest days of the owner's life is the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.  Everything in between is like having a black hole in your backyard.

22 hours ago, jgradyc said:

A buddy of mine bought a 2004? Humvee. It seems that repairs are a lot more expensive than you might think. It also gets about 10-11 mpg. If you drive 15,000 miles a year as I do, that's going to get old pretty fast. 

your buddy lucked out of the 4400 sold so far, less then 2% sold were 2000yr or newer models! what state did it come from?

It kills me why everyone thinks Hummer=poor MPG, I've own a H1 for 11yrs and I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked me my MPG while filling up......its really 13.5, not bad for a 8000# rolling brick..

This guy just got tired of that question

t_image_759_zpsvqhxgu9r.jpg

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

your buddy lucked out of the 4400 sold so far, less then 2% sold were 2000yr or newer models! what state did it come from?

It kills me why everyone thinks Hummer=poor MPG, I've own a H1 for 11yrs and I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked me my MPG while filling up......its really 13.5, not bad for a 8000# rolling brick..

This guy just got tired of that question

t_image_759_zpsvqhxgu9r.jpg

I didn't mean that he bought a government surplus Humvee. He bought a street legal 2004 H2.  The various websites that provide estimated mileage gave the 2004 H2 a 10.5 mpg rating, as I recall. Most of the 2000-2004 were rated in the 10-11 mpg range. These were reports averaged from owners, not the bogus ratings the car manufacturers put out.

1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

I didn't mean that he bought a government surplus Humvee. He bought a street legal 2004 H2.  The various websites that provide estimated mileage gave the 2004 H2 a 10.5 mpg rating, as I recall. Most of the 2000-2004 were rated in the 10-11 mpg range. These were reports averaged from owners, not the bogus ratings the car manufacturers put out.

Gotcha, we're defiantly not on the same page.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine is selling one that has a TN road title. Here is the auction link. Full disclosure, I work for the auction company that is selling it and got interested in them. Found this chat while I was doing some research. Anyway, he already went through the hassle of getting a road title in TN and it should transfer to most other states.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:46 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

LOL...never considered any of those a real 4x4.

And why exactly is that?  They are the MOST REAL 4x4's out there.  Solid axles front and rear, manual transfer cases, what more do you need to be a real 4x4? 

On 3/27/2017 at 8:35 PM, jgradyc said:

The H2 isn't a Hummer.  Its a Tahoe with a body kit.  Not even worth mentioning in ANY discussion. 

6 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

And why exactly is that?  They are the MOST REAL 4x4's out there.  Solid axles front and rear, manual transfer cases, what more do you need to be a real 4x4? 

This is a Humvee topic....

You think a real Jeep, K-5 blazer or a Bronco, can compare to a Vee?

Lets just compare them Stock to Stock!

I wonder if any of those can haul 1.25 tons of people and gear?

I wonder if any of those could forge 30" of water and up to 60" depending on the model.

Really, I can keep going..

Can a modified Jeep, or ?, or ? beat a Vee/H1, answer: Hell Yes.

24 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

So only the humvee is a real 4x4?  There was never a real 4x4 before the humvee?  You're insane. 

Didn't say that, we're talking about Vees in this topic, no need to bring the other brands inside, i must have hurt your feelings so I apologise..

14 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Didn't say that, we're talking about Vees in this topic, no need to bring the other brands inside, i must have hurt your feelings so I apologise..

No hurt feelings.  Just trying to figure out your brain.