Single action

shoota40

You might look around for a used Heritage revolver.  No, I don't mean a .22.  Although Heritage is best known for the Rough Rider .22 they also have (or, at least, had) single action, 'big bore' revolvers in .357 as well as 44-40 and .45 Colt.  My understanding is that (at least before Taurus bought Heritage) the .22 revolvers (as well as the .32 H&R Magnum Rough Riders, I believe - although I think those were discontinued pre-Taurus) were made pretty much in house at Heritage while the parts for the larger bore revolvers were manufactured by Pietta in Italy and only assembled at Heritage (Heritage also briefly offered a single action .45/.410 revolver but I am not sure where it was made and I think Taurus killed it pretty quickly after they bought Heritage - probably too much competition with the Judge.)  I don't know if that is still the case or if Heritage is even still offering centerfire revolvers under Taurus.  Looking online, I am seeing that many places have the Heritage .357 now listed as 'no longer available' or 'currently out of stock' but they are still listed on the Heritage website.  Again, I don't know what the deal is with single action, centerfire Heritage revolvers under Taurus.  The MSRP on the Heritage website is $467.  For comparison, I paid a little less than that for my .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk (I purchased it used) a few years ago.  I would think that if you could find a used Heritage then the price should be much closer to what you want.  I have never fired a Heritage or Pietta centerfire revolver, myself, but I belong to a Heritage fan site and a few of the guys there have Heritage centerfire revolvers and seem to like them pretty well.

http://heritagemfg.com/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=44

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye open for a Hawes or J.P. Sauer both made in West Germany. Normaly pretty good shooters on the lower coin side of things. I picked up a JP Sauer 44mag for $275 on GB a number of years back and its dead on and groups extremely well.

• Like 1

At that price point, you are looking at used revolvers.  As mentioned, Sauer made single action revolvers that were marketed under a variety of names.  If it says 'Made in West Germany' it is most likely theirs and well made.  Also look for Virginian Dragoon.  Taurus made the Gaucho for several years and they are very well made and under-appreciated.  If you are lucky, you might find the Uberti revolvers in that price range from time to time.