Skid steer

I have a older 30hp Deutz tractor, and it does good for bush-hogging, tilling, etc.. I'm to the point where I "need" a front end loader. I'm always needing to move dirt, gravel, and pallets of stuff. With the design of my tractor, front end loaders don't mount easy and I've never seen a 2wd loader tractor that was worthwhile, rear tires always spinning. 

My intended uses are:

1. general dirt work around house, garden, and property

2. property clean up/tidy up

3. driveway repair

4. moving steel and tooling in/out of shop (hobby metal working)

I originally had in mind to get a used 50hp+ 4wd loader tractor and possibly a tow motor. Now I'm starting to think about a skid steer and keep my tractor. I don't know a lot about skid steers, I've rented a few different ones but I'm not sure on maintenance, life expectancy, or brands. I have in mind to get 60-80hp tired machine with hopefully 2500 or less hours. I have no preference on control style, I've used foot controls but wouldn't mind trying joystick.

Opinions? Ideas? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a New Holland 160 about 10 years ago when we were building our house as a cost cutting move. Figured it was cheaper to buy one than rent or hire someone for all the things you need to do around a construction site. It worked out great. I never could find a used one that I thought hadn't been ragged out and they seem to hold their value. (I absolutely hate having to work on tools before you can use them.) My plan was to sell it once the building was over, but it's been so handy for everything I still have it. Considered selling and getting a tractor with a bucket, but they just can't do what a skid steer can do. 

The New Hollands were the least expensive compared to all the other brands, except for some of the unknown names. It's been a good unit. Has hand controls for the wheels and foot controls for the bucket. They seem to work good, I've never used one of the joystick type controls. The only thing I don't like about mine is in the cockpit. The way it's designed your elbows are right above a solid metal part of the structure and if you don't keep your elbows close to your body and the thing bounces around it can really mess with your funny bone. So much so I've considered gluing some padding there, but never have. 

They aren't very good at digging. You can make them, but it's a slow process. It's also possible to dump stuff on yourself if you aren't careful particularly if you're on a hill. They would be a lot faster then any tractor with a bucket.

i use both tractor and skidsteer. As with anything there are advantages and drawbacks on both sides of the equation.

For moving light pallets (<1000lb) short distances, skidsteer hands down. For medium (1000-2000 lb) tractor seems to work better for me. Now little uneven playing field as the tractor is 55hp and weight is about 2x that of the 42 hp bobcat. I wouldn't buy the 4 wheel drive tractor. If it is a place I can't get my 2 wheel tractor in, I don't need to be there.

Cleaning brush with bobcat with grapple bucket to load the wagon is piece of cake.  Leveling dirt, give me the tractor.  Digging post holes, skidsteer will run circles around tractor auger. Loading rolls of hay on wagon, bobcat faster. Putting rolls of hay in barn, ground level, bobcat. Putting them in the loft, tractor as you can see so much better. 

If you are not going to do your own service, where is the closest service center. Will they make house calls or do you have to haul it to them?  Bobcat cylinder specs are just little different than anyone else's.  If you need one, get ready to bleed several Benjamin's  

Good luck

mark

If it is bobcat or caterpillar get ready to pay for it every time you buy parts. The guys at Bobcat of Nashville good guys do a lot of business with them and yes Robert is the man when it comes to on-site service. I really like John Deere I deal with the guys at Meade quite a bit and their parts don't seem nearly as expensive  as Bobcat or caterpillar but most used machines are so raged out you may have to do a lot of work to it to get it to where you want it it's a matter of looking at quite a few machines and finding the one that's right for you that you're comfortable with and since it's for your personal use try your best not to buy tier 4 emissions engine unless it's still in warranty those parts can get expensive real quick if you need them not that they're bad engines just more stuff to break

Edited by raildog
Adding more information
  • 3 weeks later...