What Is Wrong With Some People??

So a fellow stops in my shop today and tells me he works at a different shop which shall remain nameless.

As we're talking I point out the new Taurus 1911 I've gotten in, not a bad gun for what it is. He tells me point blank "Taurus is crap."

Then he proceeds to tell me how a customer there had ordered an Ed Brown 1911 through them and paid in excess of $2,000. When the gun came the customer asked this guy what he thought.

He proceeded to rag on the gun, pointing out how they hadnt done this or that, pointing out how he could have done this or that for x dollars less, and pointing out that the guy got took for spending that much on this gun. He told me the customer slunk away from the counter.

I thought, "you @#$% idiot. What did you accomplish doing that?" He wasnt being helpful, he was displaying how much he knew about the product and using that to make the customer feel like crap. I didnt see any point in something like.

Did I think wrongly or was that bad customer service?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid

...I thought, "you @#$% idiot. What did you accomplish doing that?" ...

Wish you'd have said it instead of just thinking it! :D

To strive to have customers that spend that kind of dough "slink" away from the counter is quite possibly the worst business model I can think of. What a tool.

Yet another wonderful example of excellent customer service in this industry...

Folks, if you have found yourself a shop that provides a quality customer experience for a reasonable price by someone who knows even vaguely what they are talking about, drop to your knees and "pray if you got 'em."

Wish you'd have said it instead of just thinking it! :D

To strive to have customers that spend that kind of dough "slink" away from the counter is quite possibly the worst business model I can think of. What a tool.

Because he hadnt done anything to me. There is, unfortunately, no law against being a moron, other than the business law of the jungle. In any case he picked up an accessory that I had wanted to get rid of so it wasnt a total loss.

But he also made comments about my shop and was well on his way to having the door pointed out to him. I really try not to do that because it just isnt constructive. The most I would probably do is tell someone, its obvious I'm not meeting your needs and you're wasting your time in here.

I never could understand why someone would run a paying customer into the ground over a purchase they are making. Be it an Ed Brown or a Hi-Point. If someone is spending their hard earned cash in you place they are to be shown gratitude and treated with respect. Heck anyone who comes in the door deserves that at minimum.

I never drive past a gun shop, especially one I have not been in yet. Some of them seem happy you are there and a few, well I did not stay very long. Often I spend nothing but I definitely make mental notes as to whether they will appreciate me and my business. The ones who offer products I use get my business provided I am not made to feel like an intruder.

Treat me like you want my business and you will get it!:up:

Guest Steelharp

Wonder what he'd have to say about my RIA? Sheesh... some people's kids...

Maybe he's just a general anti-1911 slob... I mean, snob... still no way to act, treat folks, etc...

(Wonder what kind of steel he plays?) :up:

Yeah, pretty much a moron. Think his customer will come back to him for another gun? Only if the customer is a moron too.

If asked my opinion about a gun before a buy, I'll give it but point out the good points as well as any bad ones. If they already have the gun, I just point out the good stuff unless it's a safety matter or reliability problem in a carry weapon. Even then, I'll try to tell them anything that might help.

But if I'm not asked, I'll gladly use my right and ability to remain silent. :up:

Yeah, pretty much a moron. Think his customer will come back to him for another gun? Only if the customer is a moron too.

If asked my opinion about a gun before a buy, I'll give it but point out the good points as well as any bad ones. If they already have the gun, I just point out the good stuff unless it's a safety matter or reliability problem in a carry weapon. Even then, I'll try to tell them anything that might help.

But if I'm not asked, I'll gladly use my right and ability to remain silent. :up:

We have a winner. Yes, the clerk's job is to help the customer. That's it. If he does a good job helping, the customer will naturally become a good customer and buy things there. The clerk does not have to "sell" the product because if he does a good enough job helping the customer undertstand the product then the customer will buy it, assuming he is ready to.

Making the clerk feel good, showing the customer how much the clerk knows, demonstrating the superior tastes and talents of the clerk are all not part of the job description.

So basically, no Glocks would get sold in your store? :D

Actually, Mars, I know you well enough by now to know that you would give as much help as possible even to some one wanting to purchase the AD King of all firearms.

Actually, Mars, I know you well enough by now to know that you would give as much help as possible even to some one wanting to purchase the AD King of all firearms.

I'm sure that a pair of kevlar shorts would go with every Glock purchase... :up:

I'd sell them a Jack Kevorkian do-it-yourself suicide kit if they wanted it. But I probably wouldn't recommend it.

I might try to suggest a better handgun than "the one the cops use." However, if that's what they want, the best advice I could give is to always use quality ammunition. That way, you might get to keep your hand. :up: