The Good Old Days - Real Fundraising Prizes

I found this in some stuff my Dad brought up to me. This was my banner year in Cub Scouts. I think I sold 1296 tickets. 

Take a look at the prizes. BB Guns, Pellet Guns, hatchets. a Bow set, and Knives. These were the good old days when you did not get a plastic Frisbee or drawstring backpack for fundraiser prizes. Some parents would go ape sh!t if this was the prizes they used today. 

Also at the bottom it says if you sold the most tickets in the Council you got a free Disney Trip. Also shows sponsored by Ogles Water Park up in the corner.

Simpler times.....

scout-tix-sales.thumb.jpg.4c316e7933966777226f3a696b722138.jpg

scout-tix-sales.jpg

Edited by Ronald_55
double pic
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, smokin45 said:

1296 tickets sold you must have received all the prizes on that sheet. 

Just about. lol. I know I got the Campmaster frame pack, tent, buck knife, bow, bb gun, swiss army knife, hammock, canteen, hatchet, and cook kit. Probably more that I forget. I still have most of it. I was a motivated kid. Would you believe i was not the top seller though?

I remember my Dad dropping me at the end of a street in a subdivision and he would pick me up at the other end. Then we would do the next street. I was chased by so many dogs, I can't remember them all. I met a lot of nice people though. Lots just gave me the money and said keep the ticket. Sadly, no way would I do that with my kids now. Too many crazies.

• Like 1

In 1972, as a member of the FFA (Future Farmers of America) and a Senior in Conway High School, in Conway Arkansas my brother was awarded the American Farmer Award.  The banquet and awards ceremony was held in the school cafeteria.  He was presented with a Model 94 Winchester 30-30 with a color case hardened receiver and saddle ring.  I'm betting you won't see that today.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

Anyone remember these? I got one of these for so many merit badges awarded by the Scoutmaster in the Cub Scouts back around 1958 or so. It was well used and old but the Scoutmaster had it from when he was a kid as I recall and still worked like a champ.

9139865510_104cb44679_o.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

Anyone remember these? I got one of these for so many merit badges awarded by the Scoutmaster in the Cub Scouts back around 1958 or so. It was well used and old but the Scoutmaster had it from when he was a kid as I recall and still worked like a champ.

9139865510_104cb44679_o.jpg

Wow, Any chance this is still hiding in your attic?

I love the name...no way would it fly today. Lmap

In 1972, as a member of the FFA (Future Farmers of America) and a Senior in Conway High School, in Conway Arkansas my brother was awarded the American Farmer Award.  The banquet and awards ceremony was held in the school cafeteria.  He was presented with a Model 94 Winchester 30-30 with a color case hardened receiver and saddle ring.  I'm betting you won't see that today.

I was in FFA as well. After winning state in public speaking I was awarded a 10/22. That was a big deal and the school I went to had a fit and almost closed down the chapter. Just to rub there noses in it my leader bought me 1k rounds for it because a watering system I designed finally got its patent. The principal tried to make me return both gifts but word got out the farmers (including my family) put him in place.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, LI0NSFAN said:

I was in FFA as well. After winning state in public speaking I was awarded a 10/22. That was a big deal and the school I went to had a fit and almost closed down the chapter. Just to rub there noses in it my leader bought me 1k rounds for it because a watering system I designed finally got its patent. The principal tried to make me return both gifts but word got out the farmers (including my family) put him in place.

We had Hunter Education in my middle school. Everyone was required to shoot a shotgun. I bet they don't do that now. I wish they did. kids would be safer about guns.

I heard that the shop class guys did gun work when no one was looking too.

We had Hunter Education in my middle school. Everyone was required to shoot a shotgun. I bet they don't do that now. I wish they did. kids would be safer about guns.
I heard that the shop class guys did gun work when no one was looking too.

I was in high school in mid to late 90s and we did gun work in shop class. I was also told the home education class bassically processed ducks that were shot over the weekend. We had a very hunter friendly school.

Just now, LI0NSFAN said:

I was in high school in mid to late 90s and we did gun work in shop class. I was also told the home education class bassically processed ducks that were shot over the weekend. We had a very hunter friendly school.

You were not much behind me then. Things at my school really started to change the year after I graduated. My girlfriend was still a senior and I would go pick her up. They put up all kinds of new fences with barbed wire tops and started to get majorly an@l about stuff. 

You were not much behind me then. Things at my school really started to change the year after I graduated. My girlfriend was still a senior and I would go pick her up. They put up all kinds of new fences with barbed wire tops and started to get majorly an@l about stuff. 

My school did the same, barely reconizable two years later when my sister started. It was sad to see it change so fast. I did not like my classmates but I liked the well rounded education I got.

I must be about 20 years older than you guys.  I came from a small (pop 727) Arkansas town that closed school the first week of deer season each year.  Teachers and students were all in the woods at deer camp, including the Principal.  I'm an Old Man that came from a different time in America...and I want to go back.

I must be about 20 years older than you guys.  I came from a small (pop 727) Arkansas town that closed school the first week of deer season each year.  Teachers and students were all in the woods at deer camp, including the Principal.  I'm an Old Man that came from a different time in America...and I want to go back.

We closed for the first week of bow and firearm season. It was great.

• Like 1

I'm probably a bit younger than most of y'all, ripe old 26 years young. My school closed the first Monday of deer season. It was listed as 'deer day'. Not a real big school, K-12 was about 300-400 students.

Half the trucks in the school parking had guns in them. Some hidden, some open. No one cared.

One time I was picked out of class by the principal and local deputy, who just happened to be my cousin. He asked me if I would unlock my truck. They had reports of someone in the parking lot shooting traffic with Paintball Guns. I opened my truck and there was a loaded shotgun in the passenger seat. Along with 2 boxes of shells, dove decoys, vest, etc.

We all laughed and he said "you're not supposed to have that here. Don't bring it back."

I went back to class. The principal knew I wasn't going to shoot up the school. It was only dangerous to them tasty doves.

SixShooter, I'm amazed you didn't get expelled.  Even 10 years ago they were starting to do that.  But in the mid 60's, when I was in high school, one popular shop project for the advanced guys was to build a sporting rifle out of something like a Springfield 1903.  A few years after that, building laminated fiberglass/hardwood recurve bows was very popular.

I think now the kids could probably get approval for building a bong in shop, but definitely not a firearm!

I graduated in 2001.  I probably got to see the tail end of things before it got absurd.

We had an archery program in Jr high.

We took mandatory hunter safety in 9th grade.

I remember a class mate accidentally leaving his sks in the rifle rack one morning.  Principal saw him as he pulled in, ran over to him and said "you forgot to put your rifle up, stick it behind the seat before anyone sees it."

This was in Wilson County, we were a lot more rural then.  Now my daughter is in the same system and things have changed.  Guess that's what happens when people flock from liberal states to your area and then try to make things like they were back where they came from.

Yeah, those little rural schools definitely have their perks. I did everything I could to get out of that school early, it was declining rapidly. There was a lot of corruption on the school board and all of them were related somehow and related to most of the community, so no one ever got voted off.

2 years after I graduated, the state condemned 3 of the buildings on campus. They then stepped in and renovated the whole campus. There were a rough couple years while the state there. But a few of my classmates are teachers there now. And according to them, it's running the best they've ever seen it.