I am still here, 1 update, 1 question (yamaha xt250)

vontar

Glad you found a closer dealer to purchase your product. In this area a lot of people buy from Abernathy's in Union City, TN but that isn't close to you. I was there a couple of times last year with my brother to get his Polaris UTV serviced.  Lots of sales for small community. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

Glad you found a closer dealer to purchase your product. In this area a lot of people buy from Abernathy's in Union City, TN but that isn't close to you. I was there a couple of times last year with my brother to get his Polaris UTV serviced.  Lots of sales for small community. 

I bought a 4 wheeler there. It was over 25% cheaper than anyone local. Well worth the drive. I got there before they opened, and there was a line of folks almost 1/4 mile long waiting to get in.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well there has been a twist in this story.

I got delayed a bit due to needing tires and ball joints for my truck.

The deal I had lined up fell though due to the dealer/sales guy. 

So when my good deal on the xt250 fell though, give me time to look at my other options a bit.

I put some thought into my Need verse my want.  The main type of riding I will be doing A to B around town being the need.  My want being street legal and  able to do off road, old strip mine roads.  I sat and and put thought into it, how often am I really going to do that, 2 times a year maybe?  I guess I will just continue to use the 4 wheeler dad and I share for that.

I decided the dual sport XT250 was more of a want, then a need.

So started looking at my street bike options, that fit the budget I decided I was willing to be in.

So i got different price ranges for a couple different models, made my notes.  Figured the range I should be able to get a deal in.

@DaveTN

I called the sales guy I had already met at my closest shop.  Went down in person today, wasn't sure at first we were going to get the deal i wanted, but I had my numbers that wanted to go with. 

I made an offer, got a counter offer that was reasonable.  Signed paper.  Also my pre approved loan from last month was honored even though a new higher rate has went in.  I was with in 30 days.  :D

Picked out a new Full Face Helmet as well.  

Going to pick it up next Wednesday or Thursday.  My insurance guy told me not to leave the shop with it until he had it on file.  Seems my auto insurance doesn't cover me for a few days on a motorcycle like my car insurance covers me on a another car for a few days. 

Yamaha V Star 250.  It is very similar to the Honda Rebel that I loved.

yamaha V star 250.png

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

Are you planning anything off-road? Street tires are useless past gravel. I dropped my Sporty on deer trail last week when I forgot this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

not with this bike.  This is pretty much going to be City only.

Good for you. I think you will find you will get better treatment when you need something locally because you bought from them.

I don’t understand the wait. I would have wanted to take it right then. You have to wait on your insurance man?

I had to wait a year for my Harley. I was in California teaching a two week training class when my wife call and said “The dealer called; your Harley is here.” Man that was a long two weeks. biggrin.gif

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DaveTN said:

You have to wait on your insurance man?

He told me my auto insurance would not cover it if something happened while hauling it home.  I am not certain about that, but i figure he knows the insurance better then I do.

He was closed Friday and Saturday for Easter.  I will most likely be getting it Wednesday instead of Thursday.  Going to base it on the weather.  I have Thursday/Friday off from work so I can start breaking it in.

Even though it is a Silver and Chrome, I decided I wanted a helmet that would highly visable.  I almost went with a solid red, but then I went with a Silver and Red Helmet.  However, if they had, had XXL in the black Punisher, I would have took it.

My wife tried to get my to buy the Iron Man Helmet, but didn't seem right for some reason.

25 minutes ago, vontar said:

He told me my auto insurance would not cover it if something happened while hauling it home.  I am not certain about that, but i figure he knows the insurance better then I do.

He was closed Friday and Saturday for Easter.  I will most likely be getting it Wednesday instead of Thursday.  Going to base it on the weather.  I have Thursday/Friday off from work so I can start breaking it in.

Even though it is a Silver and Chrome, I decided I wanted a helmet that would highly visable.  I almost went with a solid red, but then I went with a Silver and Red Helmet.  However, if they had, had XXL in the black Punisher, I would have took it.

My wife tried to get my to buy the Iron Man Helmet, but didn't seem right for some reason.

Get some good riding boots and gloves too.  Something that offers  actual protection.  

• Like 1

yup, i already picked up the gloves, I am going to have to check into riding shoes/boots/leathers still.

So those extra days just give me time to get everything i need.  with the Bike here sooner, I might be out riding first instead of getting what i need to go with it.

• Like 1

I hope you're shorter than me.  I'd look like a "bear on a tricycle" riding that bike.  I'm a little over 6'1" and 250 lbs.  I bought a Honda Rebel back in the day, when they first came out.  Got tired of my knees being in my chest while riding.

Ride brother ride!  Keep the shiny side up!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Feels great to be riding a again.  just rolled over 100 miles.  Rode to work 4 times last week and the rest was a bit of joy riding, breaking in.

at 90 miles, i stopped for gas, 1.2 gallon and it was fuller then when I left the Honda shop.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Been doing about 100 miles a week, i stop for gas at 100 miles give or take.  

Putting in 100 percent gas, 93 Oct, fill up is less then 5 dollars,

After going to Wheels though time, I have kicked myself for note spending more and getting an Indian, but I really needed to work myself back into it.  Maybe the next one will be.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, vontar said:

Been doing about 100 miles a week, i stop for gas at 100 miles give or take.  

Putting in 100 percent gas, 93 Oct, fill up is less then 5 dollars,

After going to Wheels though time, I have kicked myself for note spending more and getting an Indian, but I really needed to work myself back into it.  Maybe the next one will be.

93 octane is a waste of money. It'll run better on 87, but do stick with 100% gas whenever possible. 

Edited by peejman

I have to run premium in my Sporty due to the higher compression.

The Indians are really, really nice. I have been flirting with them a lot lately. The Scout is a lot of bike for the money, but the Chief Dark Horse makes me thing really, really naughty thoughts.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

93 octane is a waste of money. It'll run better on 87, but do stick with 100% gas whenever possible. 

You are probably right on the 87, i believe I read it was designed for 87.  I think i just feel the 93 is better quality.   I guess I have brought into the advertising a bit 2 much.

I might try the 89 next tank.