I am still here, 1 update, 1 question (yamaha xt250)

vontar

Hey all,  Still around.

Not much changed, except I picked up a Taurus 38 +P to keep in my truck.

I also have question.  Does anyone have a Yamaha xt250?   I know the over call length is 84.  I am assuming that is from the tip of the front tire to the end of the rear fender.   If that is the case, any idea of the length Outside maximum Tire to Tire?

Reason, I may be going and picking one up and my Ford Sport Track may be a bit short even with the bed extender.  even at a diagonal 84 is going to be hard to fit.  hoping for a measurement from the front of the front tire to the rear of the rear tire.  assuming/hoping the fender and tag are what makes it total the 84.6. 

See the attachment.  I am hoping 84.6 is a total number.  If anyone has one could you please measure and confirm?

I know I should ask this on a Yamaha site, but I am not a member of any. 

I am thinking very strongly about getting this bike New and going to have Haul it almost 300 miles but at about 1100 savings if everything pans out.  Been talking to a manager and getting all the fees right down to the out the door cost.  no surprises.   

2017-yamaha-xt250 with lines.jpg

4 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

Have you considered renting a small u haul trailer if it wont fit?  They are pretty cheap rental imho..

thanks for the idea.  never rented one so it wasn't really on my radar, but that is a thought.  I have intended to buy a small trailer for years, but i only seem to thing I need one about once every 3 or 4 years.  However if i get this I may reconsider the trailer again.  People will think this silly but I will mainly ride this in town.  I know there are other bikes that would be better for my intended use, but this is the type of bike I grew up with and like how they handled.  Well I had Honda's then, but I don't like the current Honda 250/650.  The Frames just feel to big to me.  I like this, I can put both feet down and it feels right to me.   (Die Hard Honda boy jumping the fence).

Nice bike, good luck with the deal!

I can't help you with specifics but I can tell you that a yz250 will fit in the back of a Subaru Brat with a 4'bed. Tailgate down and the bike in diagonally. 

I miss both of those!

• Like 1

Check in on the XT forum, I'll say Hi there...  

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Ive got an '06 225 and have been very happy with it. As for hauling it, I'd guess it'll fit with the bike diagonally and steering at full lock, but the rear tire will sit on the tailgate. I doubt you'll be able to fit the bed extender around it. As long as you've got a couple straps pulling forward and down, it'll be fine. 

Renting or borrowing a small trailer is also a good option, I have one. The bike is light enough that you could also use a hitch hauler without much issue as well. 

• Like 1

Yamaha lists the wheelbase as 53.5".

Front wheel is 21".

Rear wheel is 18". 

Half of each wheel sticks out past the "wheelbase" measurement.  So we will add 10.5" for the front and 9" for the rear.  That gives us a new figure of 73".  I'd say you add another 5 or 6 inches for tires unless you air down and you are still well under the 80" mark.

This is just a highly uneducated guess.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, vontar said:

Well I had Honda's then, but I don't like the current Honda 250/650.  The Frames just feel to big to me.  I like this, I can put both feet down and it feels right to me.   (Die Hard Honda boy jumping the fence).

I'm not sure the frame of the 650 has changed.  I'm pretty sure the current 650 holds the title of longest running model or something. 

Edited by Capbyrd

Guessing your gonna get into the trails with that thing. I picked up a klr650 and love the thing. It was a bit tall and I've lowered it enough for me but don't know about those tight trails the WR guys are all over. 

Yours is definitely light enough for a hitch hauler. If you go that route it's much easier to load by yourself. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Guessing your gonna get into the trails with that thing. I picked up a klr650 and love the thing. It was a bit tall and I've lowered it enough for me but don't know about those tight trails the WR guys are all over. 

Yours is definitely light enough for a hitch hauler. If you go that route it's much easier to load by yourself. 

believe it or not mostly City but short trips to work and back.  As far as off road, some Country dirt roads, some old strip mine roads back near my parents place that I grew up on.  Not so much actual trails, but I like the option.  I really know I don't want a straight up street bike or straight up dirt bike.  I rode street/trail bikes as a kid and they feel right to me.   My truck doesn't have a receiver hitch believe it or not. 

However I might have the deal i want much closer to home.  Well found it in KY for about the same price, another close place texted me that could be very competitive, but Not got them back on the phone yet.

Edited by vontar
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I'm not sure the frame of the 650 has changed.  I'm pretty sure the current 650 holds the title of longest running model or something. 

never rode a 650, but the 250 honda dual sport is just 2 dang high for me.  i am not a little guy but my legs don't seem long enough for it.  I am 6 foot.  But i think i mainly road up to 200 dual sport honda's but they don't make them any more.  But I would have liked something like the 650 engine on a 200 frame. 

I just bought a Yamaha FJR, but in the process I looked at the BMW GS bikes. I am almost 6'2" and couldn't hardly get my leg over them. It was crazy to me how tall they were. I don't know how some shorter guys ride bikes like that. I can sympathize with your issue.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Sounds like you need a truck worse than a bike.:D

I have a good truck.  Just doesn't have a receiver hitch.  I can haul pretty much anything I need.  I always considered a trailer if push come to shove.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1

Why don't you go with a buddy and just ride it back?  Three hundred miles is a long way for a dirt bike, but you could alternate riding it for an hour apiece.

Or better yet, just leave the tailgate down and use some ratchet tie downs to hold it in place. It's not going anywhere as long as the middle of the back wheel isn't hanging over the back of your tailgate. You might need to tie a red flag on the back wheel. 

Or see the solution below.  FWIW, it looks like my tie down approach would work. The middle of the back tire is not off the back of the truck.

EDIT: Oops, I just that's not a Sport Trac, but the concept is the same. The Ford forum I went to said the Sport Trac bed was 70" long with the tail gate down.  The middle of the back wheel should still be on the tail gate.

Edited by jgradyc
On 3/28/2017 at 5:48 PM, vontar said:

2017-yamaha-xt250 with lines.jpg

I enjoy math puzzles, so I used this photo to find the distance from the edge of the front wheel to the point where the back wheel just begins to lift off the ground. That distance is 71.1 inches. The distance from the edge of front wheel to the exact middle of the rear wheel is 66.8 inches.  According to a Ford forum, the Sport Trac bed including the tail gate with the tail gate down is 70 inches, so the rear wheel would just barely be on the tail gate.  However....

The diagonal from front left to the rear right edge of the tail gate with the tail gate down is 86 inches.

Of course you can angle the front wheel into the front corner of the bed and put the bike in diagonally with the front wheel turned all the way to the left. The rear of the bike will still be on the tail gate, but it won't extend past the end of the tail gate. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 2

Jgradyc,

at this point i am pretty sure hauling it back in my truck will be OK and I have found the deal closer to home now.  a closer shop gave me the same price, with in $25.  So I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow when I can get my loan officer in touch with them.

Jgradyc, that motorcycle hauler in the picture is a winning idea for sure. looks like it is a ramp/loader combo.  In a pinch I bet a 2 by 8 board would do just fine once tied down to give it some extra support.

Why I don't want to just ride it all the way home.  I am a bit out of practice on motorcycles.  Will feel a better/safer breaking it in closer to home where i know the road/traffic patterns better.

You have two Yamaha dealers within 25 miles of you. They are refusing the deal you have on a brand new motorcycle?

Let me remind you of something you may have forgot about riding a motorcycle; you are going to need a good dealer close by.

Edited by DaveTN
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

You have two Yamaha dealers within 25 miles of you. They are refusing the deal you have on a brand new motorcycle?

Let me remind you of something you may have forgot about riding a motorcycle; you are going to need a good dealer close by.

Dealers.... yeah. In my experience, the majority of them are marginally useful.  It's pretty common to have to travel hundreds of miles get what you want.  There are no dealer networks and they generally won't move bikes around or make any effort to find a specific bike for you like car dealers do.  You've got to do all the work to find what you want and go get it.  "Fly-and-ride"...

The XT is a very simple bike and OEM parts are readily available online. Anyone with even modest wrenching skills can easily accomplish the typical maintenance tasks. A factory service manual and YouTube are all you need. 

If its a brand new bike, I wouldn't ride it back either. Droning down the highway is not a good way to break it in.

It'll ride just fine diagonally across the bed. Put it on the side stand, 2 straps on the handlebars and 2 on the passenger pegs pulling down and forward. Stop after the first 10-15 minutes and retighten as necessary. Good to go. 

• Like 1

maybe i pinched pennies a bit much but 500 to 1000  difference is a bit.  Plus the shop i am doing business with isn't outside of my normal travel area and one i have used since I was a teenager.

trust me, known MSRP is 5199 and getting told 6300 before tax.  no. then he droped to 6000, but i honestly had enough of him.  i decided even if he matched, i wasn't going to deal with him.

I am satisfied i gave them a chance.

This started out a dealer 300 miles away beat the local guys enough that i was going to have an over night trip with the wife and still be save enough to to make it worth it.  Now I pretty much have that deal from a much closer dealer

Edited by vontar