How do you store your ammo?

So I know all you guys could fit the ammo you have in your house in a sandwich bag....lol

So just curious how you would store your ammo if you had a decent amount. I am not real happy with my solution at the moment. I would like for it to be secure, but buying a safe just for ammo is probably not going to happen. Then there is protection from moisture. Not that I want to store it in an aquarium, but just to make sure my steel case does not rust. Also, having 25 ammo cans stacked up is not real handy if I need the bottom can. Plus space in my "armory" a.k.a. the garage is limited. 

So what do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

So I know all you guys could fit the ammo you have in your house in a sandwich bag....lol
So just curious how you would store your ammo if you had a decent amount. I am not real happy with my solution at the moment. I would like for it to be secure, but buying a safe just for ammo is probably not going to happen. Then there is protection from moisture. Not that I want to store it in an aquarium, but just to make sure my steel case does not rust. Also, having 25 ammo cans stacked up is not real handy if I need the bottom can. Plus space in my "armory" a.k.a. the garage is limited. 
So what do you guys use?
Thanks in advance.

I do the ammo can thing, but like you I've found I always need what's at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For everything not stored in the house I use surplus ammo cans with a desiccant pack inside. I recharge them (in the oven) every 5-6 months. Usually based on the desiccant color at that point they are usually still ok, but I've had a couple cans I had to replace because the desiccant was showing moisture much quicker than the rest. I've pretty much gone away from plastic cans with foam "gaskets" for anything other than transporting stuff to and from the range as they suck. I'm curious to hear if anyone has used the rust inhibiting bags to hold their ammo inside the cans?

As far as storage, I made a shelf system out of plywood that holds 3 rows or 10 cans and lets you pull out any of them without disturbing the others, makes for easy access.

• Like 1

Ammo cans for factory or surplus ammo.  For reloads, I recycle the plastic trays and stack the filled trays in plastic 5gal kitty litter buckets.  They're sturdy, stack easily, and seal pretty well.

I store ammo cans under the work bench.  They can only get 4 rows high, so I don't have to remove more than three to get what I want.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I was using some of the smaller plastic ammo cans, but got tired of having so many. I did pick up one of these MTM ACR7-18 Ammo Crates. Their exterior dimensions are 17.2" x 10.7" x 9.2"(H). Packed full it can be kinda heavy, but easier to stack up. I keep expanding the calibers I have and I like to keep a decent amount for each. 

s-l500.jpg.96b4bdbc0128f96e85d16744f8b5442d.jpg

I wish I had room and money for something like this. It is a Liberty Ammo Can Safe. Runs $420 at Cabelas. 59-1/2"H x 24-1/4"W x 22"D

58dd0e3dab644_download(1).png.30b465143dde383d2290e18fb5f75d63.png    58dd0e3ec788a_download(2).png.c0c37ecde9093a19d2f12c89839f5bf3.png

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

Ammo cans, most are locked up in an old vending machine in the garage I converted to a light duty ammo safe.

I saw an old Pepsi machine converted that way for sale a few years ago. I always wanted to do that with a 50's era fridge my Dad had.

49 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

Ammo cans, most are locked up in an old vending machine in the garage I converted to a light duty ammo safe.

Ha! Nice.... I always wondered why there aren't any coin/cash operated ammo dispensers at gun ranges. Insert $20 bill, pull the lever and retrieve your 50 round box so you can quickly continue your shooting session.

• Like 1

I have a variety of storage but I'll start with the way I use to do it before I moved. I had a large decommissioned upright freezer that worked great. Had shelves in the doors to keep the high turn over calibers, lots of shelves that I mostly just stacked the boxes on sorted by caliber. Key lock door that wouldn't keep anyone out long, but it looked like a freezer. Decided to leave it behind when we moved.

I have 2 of the shallower Ammo Crates like you have, because they fit in a space under the bench. I also have 2 very large ammo cans don't know the calibers but they weigh about 100lbs each when loaded, I keep them on a roller platform under the bench. These 4 boxes are longer term storage and don't get open often now that they are filled. I keep around 1000 rounds each of most calibers I shoot in the gun safe (I bought a big safe). I also use a bunch of the plastic ammo cases that Harbor Freight puts on sale all the time for around $5/ea. I keep some in the safe one caliber each with labels but I discovered they fit perfect sideways in a filing cabinet drawer. I don't remember the total count with out going down stairs but I sort by type and caliber with labels on top, easy to pull out what you need. You need to use the heavy duty office type with full slides. I found a couple of 2 draw units that I use as bases for my gun bench for Under $50 each at a surplus furniture store. I have dry packs in the bigger boxes. A rod type dehumidifier in the safe and a regular dehumidifier in the room where everything is stored. I don't have dry packs in the boxes in the file drawers, figuring they are in airtight boxes and are the next in turn to be used.

Not a perfect system but it works for me for now. Oh and I keep a small stash in the bedroom for all the calibers I keep in the upstairs safe.

• Like 2

I'm probably not doing myself any favors....

But, I just have it laying out, Ive got boxes on shelves in my master BR closet, I have a few thousand in ammo cans, I have a few thousand on the floor of my basement closet, I have 9mm ammo in open boxes under my clothes in a drawer..... I just put it where ever.. I also rotate though, when I buy a bunch, I shoot a bunch so... theres that

On 3/30/2017 at 11:32 PM, mikegideon said:

Not mine, but fixes the problem...

shelf+01.JPG

Would be a nice setup, but space prevents me from doing that. At least for now.

A guy I work with told me he uses a rolling tool chest, but that falls into the same issue.

Bottom line is that I just need more garage space.....That is not happening any time soon. Sucks, but it is the way it is.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, mikegideon said:

Not mine, but fixes the problem...

shelf+01.JPG

I'm fortunate enough to have an old StackOn safe that was damaged in a flood. Well not really fortunate, I guess, but after the water damage, I gutted the safe and built shelves of some old true 1" plywood that I acquired.

This works well for my bulk storage, and I have built a similar system to the above for storage of ammo and mags.

I keep a couple boxes of each caliber in my gun safe, but the bulk of my ammo goes into a large padlocked wooden box I built that also serves as an end table.  Its not very obvious and it hides out in an upstairs corner next to a sofa.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:16 PM, Jeb48 said:

I have a variety of storage but I'll start with the way I use to do it before I moved. I had a large decommissioned upright freezer that worked great. Had shelves in the doors to keep the high turn over calibers, lots of shelves that I mostly just stacked the boxes on sorted by caliber. Key lock door that wouldn't keep anyone out long, but it looked like a freezer. Decided to leave it behind when we moved.

Thanks for mentioning this.

I have an old upright that has become so undependable that I was going to trash it but this sounds like a great idea. It's in a small separate room off the garage along with it's replacement chest freezer.

Now, if I can only find the key :confused:

Edited by xsubsailor
5 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Now, if I can only find the key :confused:

If the lock has a number or letter/number combo on the face, you can probably have one made. Lots of locksmiths can cut from the number. 

It is possible that an online place like easykeys.com might be able to also. They do mostly office cabinets and such though.

• 4 weeks later...