How do you store your ammo?

What I can't fit in magazines goes in 30 or 50 cal cans or stays in factory packaging. With cans, I have found this to be the easiest way to store ammo for use at the range and "grab and go use." It's kind of hard to run a bunch of boxes out to your vehicle vs. grabbing a can. I like the ammo vending machine. That would be a great addition to a man cave or at a private range. I think a gumball machine would be even cooler if there is a way to make it work out there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

What I can't fit in magazines goes in 30 or 50 cal cans or stays in factory packaging. With cans, I have found this to be the easiest way to store ammo for use at the range and "grab and go use." It's kind of hard to run a bunch of boxes out to your vehicle vs. grabbing a can. I like the ammo vending machine. That would be a great addition to a man cave or at a private range. I think a gumball machine would be even cooler if there is a way to make it work out there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Instead of a gumball you might have to do the ones that drop out the little plastic capsules. Unless you only need .22lr.

Automatic Sharper Image Ammo Dispenser

Since we are expanding into larger caches of ammo. I knew a guy that took one of the smaller cargo storage containers, the size that two fits on a flatbed tractor trailer, coated the outside with tar/waterproofing and buried it into the side of a hill so only the door was showing. He did add some extra security latches and such. He stored his reloading supplies as well as ammo. Not sure what all he had in there I was never allowed to look. 

He died about 15 years ago and I always wondered what happened to his stash when his widow sold everything. Never saw a sale advertised.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Since we are expanding into larger caches of ammo. I knew a guy that took one of the smaller cargo storage containers, the size that two fits on a flatbed tractor trailer, coated the outside with tar/waterproofing and buried it into the side of a hill so only the door was showing. He did add some extra security latches and such. He stored his reloading supplies as well as ammo. Not sure what all he had in there I was never allowed to look. 

He died about 15 years ago and I always wondered what happened to his stash when his widow sold everything. Never saw a sale advertised.

I see people talk about burying these, but if you do you better add some supporting structure. These do not handle weight well unless it us directly on the edge. Plus even with waterproofing they will leak at some point.

38 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I see people talk about burying these, but if you do you better add some supporting structure. These do not handle weight well unless it us directly on the edge. Plus even with waterproofing they will leak at some point.

Sea containers like this have vents built into the corners. This is to help prevent condensation as well as let them sink when they wash overboard, many also have wood floors. Burying one shouldn't be too bad if consideration is taken for these items. I'm thinking of making one into a root cellar

Roof strength isn't bad, but if burying it deep some timber's across the top would help for sure.

The floors are remarkably strong, most will have a placard showing load limit in lb per sq/ft. I wouldn't pack one solid with ammo, but if packaged in a way that a human can move I wouldn't think it's a problem for floor strength.

This fellow's container were not buried very deep more of a bunker look. It was already buried when I met him so I have no idea what he did for prep, I just know it was impressive to see from the outside.

• 3 weeks later...

Military ammo cans for sure. I have had to buy some of the walmart/harbor freight plastic ones for shotgun shells. 

I have had to get creative through the years as while I do not consider myself a "hoarder" I have ammo cans stashed around in several places. 

I wish I could dedicate a storage building or room for my ammo cans.

• 2 weeks later...

"Have to have now" magazines and ammo in safe with weapons.  The rest I put in military ammo cans labeled by caliber and placed on end inside a large "Job Box" that I wired a dry rod into in addition to a dehumidifier.  And then there is more here and there just in case.  No wheels on the box so you need to make sure it is where you want it the first time. 

On 4/29/2017 at 9:26 PM, KahrMan said:

I keep most of my ammo in the this old counter top ammo display case.

67865ea5c3bb62fd006fc714c75c33a1.jpg

What does not fit in there gets put in ammo cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should have hit you up for some 44 mag! I still haven't tried the eagle out.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

One addendum: do you guys mostly leave ammo factory boxed or store loose in cans?

Everything in factory boxes till I open it, then if it was loose ammo in the factory box I dump it in plastic tubes that I bought for the purpose. I put the end of the box in the tube to identify what is being stored.