I find myself in a conundrum... i consider myself blurring the lines between practical and who cares... i lean towards self defense/shtf more than anything but i have a top notch custom built ar with aimpoint and also a m&p9L Pro Core with a trijicon rmr bc why not... but besides the freak occasion i shoot some trap with a buddy that owns a shotgun heavy gun shop which allows me to shoot whatever i want off the rack, I have zero desire for anything other than a 2 -300$ pump for home defense... i like the idea of 3gun for some practice/stress  but shotguns beyond the obvious do nothing for me... any better solutions? Or should i just buy a jm 930 and deal with it.... 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can 3 gun with a pump until you know if you enjoy the sport. Shoot a few matches before you decide to start spending big bucks. Don't buy the 930, it's really not a good choice. If you end up enjoying 3 gun and want to buy a good starter shotgun, look at the stoeger m3000. Its a great deal for a great gun.

11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

You can 3 gun with a pump until you know if you enjoy the sport. Shoot a few matches before you decide to start spending big bucks. Don't buy the 930, it's really not a good choice. If you end up enjoying 3 gun and want to buy a good starter shotgun, look at the stoeger m3000. Its a great deal for a great gun.

This.  Show up at the next 3-gun match with your pump and have some fun.  If you're as stubborn as me, you'll still have your pump many years later - and still be having as much fun as can be.  

And if you decide you want a semi-auto, there will be a hundred different people at each match more than happy to lend you their shotgun so you can try them all before you buy to see what fits you best.

Oh and dont get me wrong i will be buying a new shotgun with 3 gun in mind... well bc it gives me that little excuse to buy a new gun lol... was at a gunshop in mt. Juliet a few weeks ago and a patron recommended a stoeger also... but i was skeptical bc it was literally the first time i heard of them... i also finger ####ed a benelli m4 but thats a STEEP price tag for a shotgun even though deep down its really what i want 3 gun or not lol

The Stoeger M3k is basically a budget Benelli.   I say that with a ton of respect.  A lot of guys shoot it and love it.

As for matches, most local matches are newbie friendly.  Manchester is good place to start.  Not a ton of distance but the stages are challenging.  Also not so many targets as to make it cost prohibitive.  They shoot 3 gun the 1st Sunday of every month.  Lots of pistol clubs in the area of you want to get your feet wet that way also.

Edited by lawmonkey13

Even better - today's match at Manchester is a "2-gun", so it's rifle and pistol only.  Registration is at 11:00am, so you've got a few hours to get your gear together and get down there:

Middle TN Shooters Club will be hosting a rifle/pistol match on Sunday, April 2nd. We will have 5 stages. Longest rifle shot around 220 yards. Round count will be around 150 for rifle and 100 for pistol but bring more if you plan to miss alot. Divisions will be Open, limited, tac optics, heavy, and pcc. Check in at the range between 11:00 and noon, new shooters please get there early for a new shooters briefing. Anyone that can be there early and help with set up is welcome. New safe shooters are always welcome. Match fee is $25 for non members and $20 for MTSC members. I can be reached with any questions at sumocrp@aol.com