New Micro gun?

DaveTN

I have gun money burning a hole in my pocket and just can’t find anything to buy. Don’t you hate it when that happens? biggrin.gif

One thing I have kinda thought about is a micro gun. I have never pocket carried and probably never would. But if I wanted something really small what would you recommend?

I already have a Kahr MK40 (Good size but heavy) and a Shield .40 (Nice, but not really small), a S&W Model 36 (not really looking for revolvers). My requirement has always been .40S&W, if I went down to 9mm would it open up any good options?

I pocket everyday, a Bauer 25ACP. It workes well for me, yes it is a small caliber. However I can "palm" the pistol and it is not seen till I want it to show. It is not a "man stopper" but a "get off me" pistol. 

Edited by RED333
  • Like 2

I have/do owned the following micro guns; xds-45, Sig P938, and Kimber Micro .380. Of those, I like the XDS the best. The P938 is a great gun but too small for my hands and the Kimber became totally unreliable even after two trips back to Kimber. For that reason I am not a Kimber fan. I often carry the XDS-45 but am not much of a micro gun fan simply because I found them to be a bit brutal on my hands when firing.

I was going to suggest the Kimber Micro 9 based on experience with my .380 micro

The above post indicates the wonky QA Kimber provides. I got a great one, so based on one gun, I can personally endorse Kimber. Will add their CS is top notch, needed a new safety plunger and spring, got it in 3 days, no charge. Mags seem affordable, I bought 3, under $25 at the time, received in 4 days.

Weight as compared to the Kahr (mine is an MK9) is like a shootable feather.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by Gotthegoods

Smallest 9mm you will find is the Kahr PM9 which is the same size as the MK40 but with polymer frame. The Rohrbaugh R9 is smaller but I believe they were bought out by Remington and are no longer being produced.

.380 or smaller opens up many more options. Ruger LCP is the most common but there are many others. For super small, it doesn't get any smaller than a Baby Browning (.25acp). I'm also a fan of the Seecamp pistols for just a bit larger.

9 hours ago, DaveTN said:

One thing I have kinda thought about is a micro gun. I have never pocket carried and probably never would. But if I wanted something really small what would you recommend?

The micro guns aren't fun to shoot and they're more difficult to aim,  so I'm not sure I would buy one if I wasn't going to carry it. That said, I guess if I were buying now, I'd get the Ruger LCP 2 because of the new trigger. Moving up a little in size, the Sig P938 looks sharp with custom grips and a Kahr PM9 is about the same size if you want a double action trigger. 

Edited by jgradyc

Ive carried my XDS 9mm now for a little over a year, I sold my Shield after buying the XDS and have not looked back. I wouldn't call it a "micro" gun, that term is more suited to something along the lines of the LCP.

With the standard magazine I have found it very comfortable to carry all day at work (in an automotive shop)

And I can shoot it comfortably for extended periods of time without discomfort, and accurately too.

I have two. One I carry on serious occasions and one that's on me just about all the time. The first is an XDs .45acp, but I don't pocket carry that one, unless it's winter time and then it rides in a coat pocket. Other wise it's in a holster. Anything heavier than 16oz loaded should ride in a holster in my opinion.

The second, that I carry everywhere, in a pocket holster, is a little Keltec P32. I had a Keltec PF9, but found it utterly not reliable. The little P32 is the exact opposite.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I think the only true micro pocket gun is the LCP or similar. It's almost impossible for me to pocket carry my LCR .38 without it looking like I had a tumor in my thigh. If you don't care about printing then I suppose you could get by with something a little bigger than an LCP.

The only issue is that trying to draw a gun from a pocket can be incredibly slow.

• 2 weeks later...

A Ruger LCP would fit the bill. I usually pocket carry mine but also have a clip (similar to that on a pocket knife) to wear in the waistband of britches without pockets, like athletic shorts. I wouldn't wear it like that to exercise, but I don't do much running nowadays anyway. When I need something smaller than that or want to run a NY reload I carry a NAA mini revolver in .22 Mag. It pretty much disappears anywhere and I'm comfortable with its shot placement and internal ballistics capabilities at contact distance. 

I pocket carry my LCP most of the time, butt I also have an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB that I use too. I also carry a NAA 22 magnum if I'm short on pocket space.  I've got a Ruger American compact 45 on order and a new shell coming for the Cloak that I'm going to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

If you did consider dropping down to 9mm, I suggest a Beretta Nano. Just under 20oz.

If you only require 2 shots [9mm or .45acp] you could entertain a Double-Tap. 12oz

There are some nice ones in .40, but they are too big for pockets, too snappy in your hand, too heavy,.......etc. for me to call them a pocket micro.