Glock 23 40 Cal.

I had a buddy of mines wife buy him a Glock23 40 cal for his birthday and he is wanting to know what would be the best ammo for it. He had one person tell him 165 gr but I wanted to get the best info for him so I came here to the best place to find out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bersaguy

• Like 1

I would lean toward the heavier 180 gr rounds myself for the extra energy but there is a noticeable difference between those and the 165 gr rounds perceived recoil-wise.  I find the 180's far more "snappy".

I would recommend getting a few foxes of each weight and see what he's comfortable with.  Either will suffice.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Garufa said:

I would lean toward the heavier 180 gr rounds myself for the extra energy but there is a noticeable difference between those and the 165 gr rounds perceived recoil-wise.  I find the 180's far more "snappy".

I would recommend getting a few foxes of each weight and see what he's comfortable with.  Either will suffice.

That is what I recommended to him and his biggest issue was FMJ verses Hollowpoint for carry ammo. I recommended if he wants something to knock someone off their feet go with Federal Hydra-Shok's. Less chance of threw and threw and injuring an innocent person behind the bad guy at close range.

22 hours ago, bersaguy said:

That is what I recommended to him and his biggest issue was FMJ verses Hollowpoint for carry ammo. I recommended if he wants something to knock someone off their feet go with Federal Hydra-Shok's. Less chance of threw and threw and injuring an innocent person behind the bad guy at close range.

NOTHING is certain when using bullets and a variable medium like a human or game animal as a backstop for a bullet. Sometimes HPs don't expand and sometimes they hit a big bone. Statistics will tell you yes HPs are safer but don't let him bet his farm on it.  BTW I load my G23 up with 180 grain Gold Dots and treat them like I am shooting FMJ, placement is key (have your friend study anatomy) and if they open up as designed well that's just a bonus, if not then it is still a solid hit and as we know hits count. 

Newtons Laws will cover knocking them off their feet, However a few well placed 165-180s should do enough damage to persuade the target to choose another course of action.