Legislators who killed Constituitional Carry in 2017 in Tennessee

Here is a copy of the letter sent to my rep today with copies to a few others on the Civil Justice Subcommittee.

I don't know a whole lot about the TN Firearms Association but they seem to be trying to improve the bias in this supposedly gun friendly state...the bias that exercising your 2nd amendment right is a "privileged exception" to a crime, rather than one of the enumerated rights in the Bill of Rights.  The info in italics is from an email blast from the TFA.  I don't know the predominant feelings on this forum about the TFA good or bad, but as far as I can tell they are trying to do more to improve gun rights in TN than the NRA or anyone else.

Unfortunately all the supposed pro 2nd amendment Republicans we think are going to improve things....never produce.  

Honestly my hot button topic remains removing the potentially onerous criminal penalties for carrying past a sign ( yes I know the issues below are of potentially greater import), but these guys in the legislature have no intent on improving anything, even though our supposedly pro 2A politicians have both the legislative and executive branches finally under the same party.

Its time to call these guys out.

"Representatives Sargent

See the information below in italics from the Tennessee Firearms Association.  Republican legislators continue to fail to support 2nd Amendment rights in TN when they are actually in session at the legislature.  All lip service during campaigns,  but no real reasoned examination of improving the underlying bias in current TN law, that firearm rights are an "exception" to a criminal violation, rather than a basic constitutional right.

I am asking you Representative Sargent, as my representative, to prove that you really care about improving the confusing firearms laws in this state.  Please demand a recall motion under Rule 53 on each of the bills listed below, and convince the other Republicans including those on the Civil Justice Subcommittee that failing to improve our 2nd Amendment rights under your watch will have consequences in future elections.  If these bills need revision, then revise, improve and enact.  Don't hide behind voice votes in subcommittee meetings.

None of you will be able to hide any longer behind procedural manipulations that lead to inaction, while claiming "I tried my best".  You have control of the executive and legislative branches and you have the ability to improve our laws regarding firearms.

If you can't or won't tackle these issues then don't expect our support in the future.

Andy Holt had HB0493 which is the constitutional carry legislation supported and written by TFA.  According to the legislative status page on this bill, the "nayes prevailed" on a voice vote which means that not a single member of the committee wanted to be recorded as voting yes on the bill.  Not a single one.  Also on this bill, it is noteworthy that the Governor's lobbyist asked to be heard at the podium to announce that the Governor opposes Constituitional Carry legislation.

Andy Holt also had HB1006 which is the improved civil immunity legislation that TFA wrote.  This bill would have required law enforcement to consider whether a situation involved justifiable self-defense before arresting a civilian.  That is, it would have adopted a higher level of review in a civilian self-defense case more along the lines of the type of in depth review that law enforcement receives when it shoots.  According to the legislative status page on this bill, the "nayes prevailed" on a voice vote which means that not a single member of the committee wanted to be recorded as voting yes on the bill.  Not a single one.

Micah VanHuss also offered HB0040 which would have placed Tennessee in the same status as 30 other states which do not require permits or other state requirements for open carry.  Although this bill also failed on a "voice vote", two legislators - Carter and Moody did specifically request that they be recorded as voting yes on these bills."
  • Like 2

Tennessee is oddly not that carry friendly compared to the surrounding states.  The permits until recently had quite a few restrictions on them that made legal carry difficult.  You had to have a permit just to have a handgun loaded in your car.  You couldn't even have a long gun loaded in the vehicle even with a permit.  The permits are also initially somewhat expensive with the training class and fees.  You'd think the state would trust people that are forced to take a class, shoot on a range, and get fingerprinted, but the state obviously doesn't when you can't even carry legally where the permits are issued.

Yeah I guess it is not New Jersey where you probably won't get a permit unless you are politically connected but it sure isn't like a lot of places.

• Like 3

Yes, I got the same email blast.  Sent a similar letter to Rep. Eddie Smith.  Supposedly a 2nd Amendment supporter, but I see no evidence of it yet.  I would rather have someone truthful that speaks with action rather than words.  We'll see how this shakes out.

• Like 1

The committee, 7 members if I recall, killed multiple pro gun bills that would have passed had they made it to the floor for debate and vote. We should ALL be emailing, calling, writing etc. to voice our displeasure and asking for them to recall the bills. For those that live in districts where the committee members are up for reelection, speak at the ballot. It's a shame these bills couldn't even get a vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Governor doesn't want to have to veto's pro-gun bills, and he also doesn't want to sign them, because he wants to run for President one day?!?!  To help him, he's enlisted the help of a RINO named Beth Harwell who is the speaker of the house.

The governor will be gone in a little over 18 months, the key issue is fixing the long jam on gun bills, is to get rid of her in the 2018 election.  Or elect a democrat governor, which the republicans will then send every possible gun bill to try and wound the democrats.

Beth Harwell needs to go.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Just2Honor said:

Wasn't even a Committee but a Sub-Committee.  7% 0f the legislators (7 out of 99) killed these bills by voice vote so there would not be a written record of their vote.

Wonder how any of their voters will ever know? 

None if WEdo not tell them...