Looking at M&Ps and came home with a.....

S&W 439 and 3 mags.    Growing up my Dad had a 39-1 and it was the first center fire pistol I remember having shot so when I saw this, nostalgia bit hard and now it sits in the safe next to my 52-2. As with most older used pieces it needed a good strip and clean so a few minutes online finding a good .PDF file about 25 minutes later it was back to good clean and ready for fun status.58e2c5b2c1503_IMG_1850-Copy.thumb.JPG.4ff64123932e39578f2ac24f6e16f6e9.JPG

• Like 6

Cool!

I've never seen a 439 with square trigger guard and normal rear sight.  I always thought all gen 2's had those hideous, massive, fully adjustable sights...and round trigger guard. Just consulted the Standard Catalog and it's legit.  Made between maybe 85-88.

My first centerfire handgun (and still is) a 39-2.  It's a "from my cold dead hands" gun because I'll never give it up.

3 letter alpha prefix is TBV.  I also thought they didn't "hook em" until Gen 3  maybe this is near the end when they were getting ready to 3904 the line ?  The winged adjustable might have been a deal killer,what were they thinking with those? some sort of military contract ?  BTW Numrich Arms sells replacement mags and has according to their Ebay 242 available one review said only difference is there is no S&W on bottom of the mag plate. 

Might try some Blue Bullet 135 grainers with some WW231 powder when it comes time to reload for it. 

TBV makes it 1988.  

I'll never understand the decision for that absurd rear sight.  They were carried over into the gen 3's but there are a lot of those that did not have it.

I searched for quite some time and finally found a 5904 with round trigger guard and normal sights, just because I wanted a gen 3 and those were my three requirments.  Amazing how cheap they are, at least a couple of years ago.  It's no match for the 39, but still great.

Edited by Garufa

I love 3rd gen Smith's

The first handgun I shot was my father's issued 5906, I love that gun. After my first 21 year old purchase of a Glock 17, I purchased  a LNIB 5906.

I grew up shooting that gun, its the first gun my now 14 year old ever shot, and the same will follow suit with my other 2 kids..

• Like 1

Thought the big assed screw holding the right side (as you are aiming it) safety lever in was a replacement,...research is pointing to S&W actually using a Phillips screw OR an Allen head to hold them on, not just an Allen head ( better looking) as I had originally believed and the 3rd. Gen doing the dovetail/pin method.

Learn something every day.....

Edited by LngRngShtr
  • Like 1