HCP/DL Change of Address Requirements

Just went through this myself. You can renew your license online or in person but can only renew your permit at a "full service" center. You can update it online though with just an address change but can't get a new card that way. At least not that I found. 

Here is what happened to me.  I moved 2 years ago, updated my DL and permit on line.  I kept the paper that showed I changed the address.  A month or so later, purchased a gun at a local pawn shop.  Filled out the 4473 with the correct new address, but when the clerk saw that my DL did not match, refused the sale even though I had the confirmed paper stating I had changed.  So I had to go to the courthouse, and get a new DL with my new address, then went back to the pawn shop, all is good. 

• Moderators

Right, right, all good information, but specifically, if I updated my address for my drivers license, does anything more need to be updated for the permit or does it use the same change of address form that your license does?

1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

Right, right, all good information, but specifically, if I updated my address for my drivers license, does anything more need to be updated for the permit or does it use the same change of address form that your license does?

Seem to be separate issues, updates to each required.

Here's HCP info:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgduplicate

- OS

3 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

See, that's what I thought initially too, but the actual URL linked to from there seems to simply be the standard DOS address change, which seems to be exactly what I did earlier this week.

Well, you'd think doing the DL would also change HCP, since numbers are the same, and even picture is shared. But I honestly don't know.

What about the few people who may have an HCP but no TN DL?

1 hour ago, peejman said:

They were separate when I did it 10 years ago. Why not call the DOS and ask?

Yeah, that way you would be sure to might get the correct info. :)

- OS

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Yeah, that way you would be sure to might get the correct info. :)

- OS

I was thinking of "what's her name" at TDOS that seems to be both knowledgeable and helpful with all things HCP related. 

Its the same entry for your dl and hcp address change. Only difference is the time requirement. Call and ask to be sure but once you make an updated address on the TDOS system it shows on both because the hcp is basically shown with your dl when ran. There isnt a seperate query for a hcp it shows similar to a dl endorsement. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Was at the DMV yesterday so I inquired about this issue. She confirmed that once I changed the address online for my license it fulfilled the requirements for changing the address for the permit as well. What irritates me is that they have a kiosk setup for doing driver's license stuff (change of address, order duplicate, renew, etc) but in order to do anything with the permit you have to fill out a form and wait in line.

All I wanted was a "duplicate" of both my license and permit. I thought it would be worth $13 ($8 for drivers license and $5 for permit, unless I have that backwards) to have the correct address printed on both of them.