Packin Pair

res308

Very nice pair you got there! and "gooder" is a fine word, and very appropriate!

I do love me some wheelguns! :up:

I happen to have a 686 I picked up in 1986 and a 640 (my daily pocket pistol) I've carried since 1992. They are both great shooting guns and should allow you to handle most any situation you'd run across.

I have Barami Hip grips with a Tyler T-piece on my 640. This setup gives me variable carry options.

How do you carry reloads? Speed strips? Speed loaders? Belt slide? Combination?

11 hours ago, res308 said:

Now I just need to make a good holster for the 640 and go shoot.

Will you make left and right holster for both of them so you can swap sides occasionally to keep you walking straight when you carry both of them? :dirty:

Edited by MP5_Rizzo

Nice pair of snubs for sure. Question... can you test the pull on the 640? I'm just wondering if S&W ever changed their spring rates on this latest edition of the J's. The 60's that I worked on in the past usually came out of the box with 14+ lb DA pulls. 9-10 lbs was doable on those and still be in a functional reliable carry condition with the factory springs. Just curious.  

4 hours ago, res308 said:

I need to make a speed strip pouch pretty soon. I carry moon clips for the 686 and some speed strips.

Would you be so kind as to post a pic of the speed strip pouch once you make it?

My 640 is a second gun and carried non-dominate side the majority of the time (occasionally I carry it as a primary in the appendix position), so I carry my speed strip in the "watch pocket" of my jeans. But I've considered a dedicated belt mounted strip pouch. 

btw...How do you carry your moon clips? Any issues with fragility of the moon clips? I obviously don't own a moon clip fed revolver but one is on my wish list.

7 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Will you make left and right holster for both of them so you can swap sides occasionally to keep you walking straight when you carry both of them? :dirty:

Well, see, when I hold or carry both of them, well, the problem with walking straight is not on the sides.:devil:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, prag said:

Would you be so kind as to post a pic of the speed strip pouch once you make it?

My 640 is a second gun and carried non-dominate side the majority of the time (occasionally I carry it as a primary in the appendix position), so I carry my speed strip in the "watch pocket" of my jeans. But I've considered a dedicated belt mounted strip pouch. 

btw...How do you carry your moon clips? Any issues with fragility of the moon clips? I obviously don't own a moon clip fed revolver but one is on my wish list.

This is the first attempt I've made at doing that. Made this for a guy here. Slide the flap up under the belt and snap. When you unsnap, it unfolds to allow you to pull the bottom one out, then the top one. I think there's a few things I might do differently on the next one. I also made the holster in the picture with the wheel guns and it was my first attempt at a holster, so I hope I can improve things from here.

ETA: Regarding the moon clips, the ones from Smith do seem fragile. I'll see how they hold up. I may order some from another company, or I might just get some 7 round speed loaders.

pouch1.jpg

pouch2.jpg

pouch3.jpg

Edited by res308
  • Like 2
On 4/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, xtriggerman said:

Nice pair of snubs for sure. Question... can you test the pull on the 640? I'm just wondering if S&W ever changed their spring rates on this latest edition of the J's. The 60's that I worked on in the past usually came out of the box with 14+ lb DA pulls. 9-10 lbs was doable on those and still be in a functional reliable carry condition with the factory springs. Just curious.  

I'm about to take it to my gunsmith in Dover. We tried to test the pull. The gauge tops out somewhere around 14, and it is somewhere over that.

2 hours ago, res308 said:

I'm about to take it to my gunsmith in Dover. We tried to test the pull. The gauge tops out somewhere around 14, and it is somewhere over that.

OK, Thanks. looks like they are sprung the same exact way they have been for decades. Many years ago CCI was known to have the hardest primers in the cartridge industry and those rounds were the preferred cartridges to tune a hammer spring on. If a cut spring could still get a good firm hit and it light up, everything else would be absolutely no question sure fire.  For what ever its worth.....