Nashville Lemonade Stand AK

The article says that 83% of Tennessee residents support background checks when buying from an individual-where on gods green earth do they come up with their poll numbers-I have never and I repeat never answered any of these polls.

• Like 1

I hope this guy gets stuck with a gun he really doesn't want. It's also obvious that he's never read the state constitution because it doesn't give law makers the power to restrict the selling of guns, just the bearing of arms.

3 minutes ago, macville said:

I hope this guy gets stuck with a gun he really doesn't want. It's also obvious that he's never read the state constitution because it doesn't give law makers the power to restrict the selling of guns, just the bearing of arms.

He will turn it over to the law for disposal. 

I wonder if he bought it using campaign funds or his tax-payer provided discretionary funds.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, krunchnik said:

The article says that 83% of Tennessee residents support background checks when buying from an individual-where on gods green earth do they come up with their poll numbers-I have never and I repeat never answered any of these polls.

MTSU poll. 83% of snowflakes...

Wow he looks like an a$$wipe. And no way 80% of any evenly diverse group is really for something...How about you ask in some other parts of the state.

Can I come buy it, then promptly resell it without a back ground check. Lol

On another note....I have that same lemonade pitcher. 

He's not wrong about how easy it is to buy a gun using his example.  He also had a pretty creative outlet to display it.  While I wouldn't root for, or push for universal background checks alone...I also have a hard time arguing against them in principal.  If I was making the deal for it, I'd get some wanted trade-offs at the state level like campus carry and carry inside state and local govt buildings with a permit.

My only real complaint is that he seems to be hawking an AK with a bunch of cheap add ons.

2 hours ago, mikegideon said:

MTSU poll. 83% of snowflakes...

The MTSU poll is actually a full fledged public polling effort.  It's not just MTSU students or alumni. The Political Science Department doesn't run it, the Journalism Department does.

Edited by btq96r
39 minutes ago, btq96r said:

He's not wrong about how easy it is to buy a gun using his example.  He also had a pretty creative outlet to display it.  While I wouldn't root for, or push for universal background checks alone...I also have a hard time arguing against them in principal.  If I was making the deal for it, I'd get some wanted trade-offs at the state level like campus carry and carry inside state and local govt buildings with a permit.

My only real complaint is that he seems to be hawking an AK with a bunch of cheap add ons.

The MTSU poll is actually a full fledged public polling effort.  It's not just MTSU students or alumni. The Political Science Department doesn't run it, the Journalism Department does.

I stand corrected. I certainly need to pass some more. 

"The MTSU poll is actually a full fledged public polling effort.  It's not just MTSU students or alumni. The Political Science Department doesn't run it, the Journalism Department does."

Whoever it still has dookey dripping off of it

4 hours ago, Sunfish said:

Whoever it still has dookey dripping off of it

You have some actual data points in it to rebuff, or do you just not like the results? 

Don't let the echo chamber here fool you, in the non-TGO world, universal background checks are a popular idea.  There's just no kind of index on how many people consider it a top issue they'll base their vote on, whereas gun owners of the mold here will come out against it with rigor.

P

15 minutes ago, btq96r said:

You have some actual data points in it to rebuff, or do you just not like the results? 

Don't let the echo chamber here fool you, in the non-TGO world, universal background checks are a popular idea.  There's just no kind of index on how many people consider it a top issue they'll base their vote on, whereas gun owners of the mold here will come out against it with rigor.

Lets see some data showing how many criminals did not purchase a firearm becaus3 of background checks.  What laws are enforced to see that criminals do NOT purchase firearms illegally?

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

There's also no indication that people have heard the truth about background checks, because of the liberal echo chamber that YOU live in. The MTSU <Journalism> Department says it all to me.

• Like 2

The big problem with most of these 'universal background' check bills is they are really just universal gun registration bills because all sales must go through an FFL, plus adding 30-40 dollars to cost of selling your own gun.  I would have less of a problem with a background check if it was just a background check and did not involve running the gun through an FFL, say if you could just show someone you have a handgun carry permit or like NC does a purchase permit.  Pro gun people need to ask the anti gun folks why the handgun carry permits and purchase permits are not sufficient for a background check and you'll see that the anti gun folks  basically want a backdoor path to gun registration.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 6

Background checks largely do not work, why on earth would we want to increase their usage?  It costs ~20-25 million in background check costs alone for each person CHARGED with violating the background check law.  Fewer people are charged today with violating the law, that were before the background check system was put in place!

Not to mention the false positive rate is clearly above 50%, and in some places like TN it's approaching 80%.

2 hours ago, btq96r said:

I think you are correct that this is very popular, even among gun owners.

Would you agree that it's popularity would drop if people were educated on the topic? Most people don't really understand what the impact would be. If educated on the issue I suspect support would drop but still hover around 50%.. Of course I have no data to support this.

• Like 1

Shocked that the I.O. inc turd didn't fall a part in his hands.  Also .. 'can't be silenced'?  Good grief this tool needs to shut up about stuff he doesn't understand.  

Background checks - would be cool if they actually worked.  And by worked I mean if they had some sort of tie in to mental health.  Of course we would actually have to go back and re-institutionalize the mental health system first though.  Would also gain more support if the government that decides they are required would provide them free of charge w/o involving a 3rd party.

28 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I think you are correct that this is very popular, even among gun owners.

I know, let's require background checks on drivers of automobiles, big 'ol honking weapons (as shown recently by jihadist).  Surely if one needs precluding from possessing and operations a firearm they shoul likewise be denied the chance to plow over others with magnum motors and wheels...

• Like 1

While they do sound good to most people in principle, I agree that they do not work. Criminals do not go into a store and buy off the shelf. Other than that they can recruit "clean" buyers to do straw purchases and then move the guns out of state so that connecting them is harder. The "clean" buyer can report a theft if they want a record of them no longer having the gun. They could even buy a few and take care of them all on one "theft" On top of this, lots of guns recovered from crimes are stolen from legitimate owners. There is no way for background checks to stop either of these. 

On the other side, if a person goes in to buy a gun that is then used in a "crime of passion", that person passed the background check at the time because they had no outstanding issues. So that did not deter that issue. 

So while background checks for private sales might have a positive impact, the amount would be very small. Basically it would simply generate more income for the government via the charge for background checks with very little in return. I think the energy would be best used to stop the smuggling of weapons into the country by criminal networks. I can guarantee those weapons have a 500 times larger chance to be used in a violent crime than the gun sitting on the shelf at a LGS.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Worriedman said:

P

Lets see some data showing how many criminals did not purchase a firearm becaus3 of background checks.  What laws are enforced to see that criminals do NOT purchase firearms illegally?

There you go using facts and logic again. I agree that universal BG checks would do little to deter crime. But that doesn't change the fact that many people believe that they would. Whether it's because they've never really been presented with facts and a logical argument about why it wouldn't change much, or because they're idiots, btq96r is correct that the majority of people still favor it.

I think it's because most people think about guns, gun rights, and gun laws as much as any of us think about snow-plow operation laws. We don't.