HB 1221 DA Carry Bill

The state house and state senate are moving a bill through the legislature that would give district attorneys and their assistants unlimited carry (LEO) rights while working and away from work.  It has already passed the state senate with no opposition and moving through the state house.

Is this bill even necessary?  I thought the DA's are still able to get police commissions from their police departments in order to carry.

We do not have enough special classes of Tennesseans yet...(sarc off)

By the way, does that entitle all these additional folks to run for Sheriff now that they are POST Certified under the Sheriff for life bill?

Edited by Worriedman

If a DA or Assistant DA is safe enough to carry in a certain location (say a school) that we are prohibited from carrying with a permit, then we should be able to carry in that location also.   Maybe some DA or assistant DA isn't able to get a police commission that they think they need or maybe they realize this is their easier ticket to 24/7 carry rights that are better than a handgun carry permit?  

I’m part of a special group that did no more than pay the state and pass a background check. So I’m not against giving their special group the same firearm privileges as a cop if they are going through the same training a cop goes through. Gets us all one step closer.

22 hours ago, Worriedman said:

We do not have enough special classes of Tennesseans yet...(sarc off)

By the way, does that entitle all these additional folks to run for Sheriff now that they are POST Certified under the Sheriff for life bill?

Does the wording of that bill satisfy this? Since 40 hours of firearms training would not make you a Certified Law Enforcement Officer; my guess would be no.

http://sos.tn.gov/products/elections/qualifications-elected-offices

1.    Have at least three (3) years of full-time experience as a peace officer standards and training commission certified law enforcement officer in the previous ten (10) years or at least three (3) years of full-time experience as a state or federal certified law enforcement officer with training equivalent to that required by the peace officer standards and training commission in the previous ten (10) years.  (This requirement does not apply in any county having a metropolitan form of government where the sheriff does not have law enforcement powers.)

• 1 month later...

This bill was passed through both the state house and state senate and will go to the governor's office. 

If everyone with a permit could get unrestricted carry, I wouldn't have the problem that I do with this bill.  I also was under the impression that the DA's could go to the sheriff's departments and get special police commissions to carry when working.  This is nothing but politicians helping politicians get carry rights that most people with permits cannot get. 

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 3