Wow, offered more than asking price! Legit?

n0rlf

Here is an answer to my ad! Was not from TGO!  Gotta shake my head at some people these days!

Amazing how many people bite on these things.  Watch yourselves guys. I love his "Ruger SR40c 9mm" Must be a rare gun!

Timothy Swi

9:22 PM (17 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
OK. the price Sounds fair to me. Just so you know I am located in Baltimore Maryland, and I relocated here 2 weeks ago. I relocated for work. I have other stuffs in my old apartment which includes (refrigerator, gun wardrobe, kitchen items, grand piano, garage items, Big tires, baby stuffs, a Ruger SR40c 9mm, and a WW2 M1 carbine which they are moving for me., A FFL dealer among the pick up agent will meet with you to do a transfer to him then he will bring the gun to Me and do a transfer to Me (so its not a straw purchase). They will deliver them all together with my things so you don't have to ship it. For the payment, I will be mailing you a cashiers check and I will as well add extra $100 to the asking price if you can hold it for me till check arrives and cashed. I will send you a copy of there FFL, though he would coming to pick up with a hard copy of the FFL so you will apply signatures where necessary. we can deal with all that when its time after payment is through. If this is OK, please get in touch with your name and mailing address to send the cashiers check to. Include your phone # as well so I will be able to contact you for fluent communication. Thanks

• Moderators

He sends you fake check, you cash it, if the bank doesn't immediately catch it you think it's good, he then asks for $50 payment to the "FFL/Agent" in the form of Credit Card, Amazon Gift Card, Bank Account, Western Union, etc.

Bank takes $600 back from you since it's fake, you sent actual money to him, he wins.

Obviously it could get expensive for anyone providing CC or Bank Account information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While it wasn't exactly like this, I have had this sort of thing happen to me on TGO. I was selling a G27 and guy wanted me give me an additional $300 to drive it up to Brooklyn. First it was $200 extra to drive it to Philadelphia, then changed to $300 to Brooklyn. It was a few years ago but TGO is big enough we attract all sorts of people now.

I've had this happen before as well. When they offer to do a cashier's check through the Bank of Nowhere and send their "agent" by to complete the transaction, I tell them "sure, just don't plan on getting your agent back." Never hear from them after that.

Perhaps tell them you would rather have payment sent to you in the form of an Amazon gift card, or one of those Visa pre-payed. IF you actually get one, check the balance and cash it or convert it to another card that they don't have the number to.

It really sounds like a scam and I believe you'll never hear from them again if you do this.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Tell him to send cash with the ffl and let us know what his response is.

You could play it out through a few emails for a humorous thread continuation.

There was (is) an internet guy, Ebola monkeyman, who had a lot of time invested messing with Nigerian scammers. Had a website and everything. Funny stuff.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

You could play it out through a few emails for a humorous thread continuation.

There was (is) an internet guy, Ebola monkeyman, who had a lot of time invested messing with Nigerian scammers. Had a website and everything. Funny stuff.

I like this idea a lot. In fact we could make it a TGO team effort. Everyone offers a suggested response, then the OP picks the one he likes best and replies, then posts their response.

• Like 1

Well as I do IT for a living I plan on having a little fun. I am thinking of telling him it is a deal but I want the transaction to occur close to my house. My father in law the agent in charge of the local ATF is offering to take me to the bank himself as I can't walk. I have to go soon anyway to deposit my funds from the Liberian lottery I won last week. Of course the return email will contain a link to my email and personal info. I plead the fifth on what the link will actually do. Lol. 

While this doesn't meet the Deja vu test it reminds me of a multi party deal some yahoo tried to suck me into on another gun forum where IIRC I was buying a rifle barrel. The original lister wanted to buy another item from a different lister so he decided it would be cool for me to send my money to the other lister who'd then ship him his item and I'd get mine. He just couldn't understand why I declined his generous offer.