MaxxTech 9mm Brass

Mostly an FYI and curious if anyone else has experience with Maxxtech

I have a shooting friend that started reloading metallic case ammo earlier this year.  He's well seasoned in shot shell reloading so the learning curve was minimal but of course, he made the usual Uhh Ohhs we all make at first and then occasionally along the way due to negligence or just momentary lack of undivided attention.  Not that it really matters what kind of press he has but it's a Dillon 650XL.

So after a couple of months of rolling along and reloading everything he can get his hands on he gives me a call.  He tells me that on the the upstroke, as you push the down, he could hear (a distinct sound on a Dillon if you have one) the spent primer pop out of the case being resized and then everything locked up.  So I tell him he has a stuck case and believe it or not his first one since he started loading about 4 months ago.  Now I know he's using carbide resizing dies and I know he cleans his brass before reloading so I said don't do anything else I want to see it.  When I get there I put a little extra force on it just shy up ripping the rim off and or deforming the shell plate and yep, it's stuck.  I unscrewed the decapping rod and removed it and put a punch down in it and started tapping with increasing intensity and about when I thought we needed to try another method it budged a little and a few more taps and it was out.

Visual inspection of the case and it looked normal and very clean.  I looked at the head stamp and I initially thought it said Magtech which I know I've reloaded some and never had a problem with.  When I looked down into the mouth of the case it looked as if the inside was sleeved about half way up the inside so my first thought was that it was short stroked when it was press formed but slipped through QC.  Then after thinking about that a minute I thought that can't be.  The inside of the case was too well formed with the cavity going down to the flash hole being perfect.

Then I look at the head stamp and I realize it is not Magtech but MaxxTech.  I've seen it in the ammo cabinets at retail stores and in catalogs but never had any experience with it.  So today with a little help from the interwebz I know a little more about it.  I found several reference like the one I cut and pasted below.  This one came from Cast Boolits and was posted in September of 2016

SAFETY ALERT!! ........Maxxtech 9mm Brass

Be alert for 9mm brass carrying the "MAXXTECH" headstamp!!

This boxer primed brass is apparently Russian production, and from the outside looks like good, reloadable brass.

The problem is on the inside: .....These cases feature a .035" thick internal sleeve that serves to both reinforce the case in the head area, and to prevent bullet set-back. This sleeve comes to within .210" of the case mouth, and is easily seen during a case inspection.

This sleeve constitutes a safety issue because it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the available case volume: .....And as a consequence, ANY powder charge that would duplicate a factory load in a normal case will produce perilously high pressures in the MAXXTECH brass.

I am sure that with a proper powder charge, this brass might be a great idea: .....But none of the published 9mm data should be used in this brass!

Please watch for this stuff!!

Maxxtechbrass%20looking%20down%20in%20it

The picture above was with the post and appears that the case is cracked in about the 2 o'clock position. With the internal sleeve made into this case I  find it hard to believe someone could resize with any success then reload it to have to worry about reduced case capacity and a kaboom but then again, just about anything is possible once.  I just looked at the MaxxTech website and they currently are not showing any boxer primed 9mm in their product.  I think we know why!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of "stepped" brass found in certain brands of 9mm ammo that it's a good idea to look out for.  Did a bit of googling on it a couple of years ago but it was not related to this brand.  

I believe it was related to new production ammo from a company whose name escapes me.  A lot of people on his forum have bought from them online as they have great prices and shipping deals.  They also sell factory reloads.  I simple can't remember the name right now.

Edited by Garufa

Just an FYI for everyone out there:  Not all "Tulammo" is made in Russia.  Maxxtech brass and Brassmaxx are names used by Tulammo for ammo made is Bosnia and Herzegovina (or wherever else they source it from).  Not made in Russia by the Tula Cartridge Works.

The original box will always state country of origin.

Edited by Garufa