86,000 M1 Garand Rifles to return from the Philippines

I would love to have one too. That is not a horrid price if it is 1/2 way good condition. Looks like I need to join a local club to meet requirements though. Not a big deal, but I just have not found one I like that is in my price range. The cheaper shooting club locally requires 2 sponsors now. The other one is nice and I think only requires 1 sponsor, but is pretty expensive for as little as I get to shoot. There is another one that I may have to research.

Other than shooting clubs most of the orgs are BSA troops and ROTC that I see.

3 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I would love to have one too. That is not a horrid price if it is 1/2 way good condition. Looks like I need to join a local club to meet requirements though. Not a big deal, but I just have not found one I like that is in my price range. The cheaper shooting club locally requires 2 sponsors now. The other one is nice and I think only requires 1 sponsor, but is pretty expensive for as little as I get to shoot. There is another one that I may have to research.

Other than shooting clubs most of the orgs are BSA troops and ROTC that I see.

http://thegca.org/product/gca-membership-2/ $25 dollars and you can buy from the cmp or you can do the rifle match thing at i think a gun range in oak ridge tn i cannot remember

• Like 2

Don't expect too much from this.  Most of those rifles will probably be in poor condition.  The Philippines are a harsh environment.  And they use their weapons until they're used up.

Still, any additions to CMP inventory is good news.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Ronald_55 said:

Has anyone bought through this before? What kind of price do you end up getting on a M1?

I missed getting a Carbine but got a Garand several years ago.  They had some for $600 but I found one I had to have at $900.  It has been an excellent rifle.

• Like 2
On 4/11/2017 at 11:41 AM, Ronald_55 said:

Looks like I need to join a local club to meet requirements though. Not a big deal, but I just have not found one I like that is in my price range. The cheaper shooting club locally requires 2 sponsors 

You talking about Cherokee rod and gun club? If so I know a few members there including myself 

58 minutes ago, z0mbies fear me said:

You talking about Cherokee rod and gun club? If so I know a few members there including myself 

That is one. How do you like it?

I have visited Kettlefoot, but it is way too expensive for the little I get to shoot. It is nice though.

I saw there is a Watagua, but I don't know anything about it.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:18 PM, Ronald_55 said:

That is one. How do you like it?

I have visited Kettlefoot, but it is way too expensive for the little I get to shoot. It is nice though.

I saw there is a Watagua, but I don't know anything about it.

I like it pretty well. They've been doing better with the upkeep and range improvements. It's like everywhere else, some days it's crowded and sometimes there are idiots there. For the most part it's a good group of people though. 

• Like 1

This has been discussed quite a bit on the CMP forum. I'm pretty sure this is going to happen, but will still be a while. I suspect that there will be a lot of Rack and Field grade offerings out of this. The Rack grades are usually only sold at the stores so buyers can look them over before buying since they are the worst condition rifles. I wouldn't be surprised if many are furnished with new wood and possibly barrels and sold as Service grades or Specials. If I remember correctly, prices for Rack grades are around $500, and the price goes up by grade from there in about $100-$150 increments. I have several from CMP, but may pick up another if these ever make it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/22/2017 at 8:19 AM, z0mbies fear me said:

I like it pretty well. They've been doing better with the upkeep and range improvements. It's like everywhere else, some days it's crowded and sometimes there are idiots there. For the most part it's a good group of people though. 

I may have to try it. Do they have anything indoor or covered?

I have been trying to get over to the forest service range in Unicoi. Pretty far for me though. $3 a day and usually empty from what I hear. 

What I really need is a few isolated acres to shoot on. Fat chance of that though.

I thought about Unaka myself. Went for a look around and took my handgun course there. My biggest negative is the hours of the range master. My old club, before the move to TN, put every new member through a safety check out for the part of the club they wanted to use. Handguns, rifle, shotgun, then you were considered your own range master and for any guest you bring. Hours were dusk to dawn unless there was a special event.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hatz215 said:

Ronald 55

Unaka Rod and Gun Club is nice for 90 bucks a year.

So are you a member?

7 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I thought about Unaka myself. Went for a look around and took my handgun course there. My biggest negative is the hours of the range master. My old club, before the move to TN, put every new member through a safety check out for the part of the club they wanted to use. Handguns, rifle, shotgun, then you were considered your own range master and for any guest you bring. Hours were dusk to dawn unless there was a special event.

Yeah I read a note on the site that seemed like it was short handed at times as range masters go. Would suck to go shoot and not be able to if no one was thete

1 hour ago, hatz215 said:

Yeh, I've been a member there for years.  Like the Military matches they have.  They are looking for Range Officers.  I've never gone and gone and found the gate locked though.  

Are there any other requirements of membership than dues? I think Cherokee requires a few hours work each year.