United Airlines booking solution....

13 hours ago, jgradyc said:

After he is dragged off, he comes running back on the plane, according to one source, shouting, "I have to get home, I have to get home!"  Who does that if they aren't impaired?  

According to the stuff I've heard, a doctor performing surgery.  Of course, that could be incorrect.  But if I was stuck in Chicago, for whatever reason, I'd probably be screaming the same thing. 

• Like 1

Video has now surfaced of this guy talking to someone saying he would file a lawsuit if they force him to leave. Later, he tells the Airport Authority guys that they will have to jail him. I'm not defending United, but there are two sides to this story. Dao contributed to his own injuries by forcing them to physically remove him from the aircraft.

Dr Dao is heard to say he will “make a lawsuit against United Airlines” and adamantly refuses to vacate his seat.

A police officer says to Dr Dao: “I have to drag you ... You know how this is going to end up happening, right?”

A clearly angry Dr Dao says the officer can drag him from the flight, and that he’d rather go to jail.

“You can drag me then, I don’t go. I’m staying. You’ll have to drag me,” he said.

While the officer explains to Dr Dao that not co-operating will make things “a lot harder for you”, Dr Dao interjects saying “I’d rather go to jail”.

Confused, the cop questions Dr Dao seeking to clarify what he has said.

“You’d rather go to jail that just get off the plane?” he asks.

“Yeah,” Dr Dao is heard to reply.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/new-video-shows-argument-that-led-to-united-airlines-passenger-being-dragged-from-plane/news-story/086a34ae08b0eb9f34beeea98a22e62b

Edited by jgradyc
  • Authorized Vendor

Honestly they should have never forcibly removed anyone for the sake of flying employees in my book. It's the airlines problem and not the passengers. They could have placed them on another flight or found a different solution. Everyone has a price. They could have kept upping the offer for someone to disembark until they got volunteers. It would have been cheaper than the mess they are paying for now.....just sayin'.

• Like 3
On 4/12/2017 at 9:54 AM, chances R said:

What...why?  You going to arrest him for buying a ticket and allowing him to board and be seated? 

In addition to the trespassing mentioned above, he was also violating FAA regulations by not following the instructions of the flight crew. Airlines have deep lobby pockets and have special stuff like that just for them.

Plus there's the fact that the doctor agreed to get bumped at the airline's discretion. So did every other person on the flight. So do you and I when we fly. They may not have known it, but they DID agree to it. It's in the small print that none of us read, but it's still there and part of the contract we agree to when we purchase a ticket.

In the end, it was a bad move by UAL to make someone deplane for an overbooking when they could have upped the compensation until a volunteer came forward. The passenger violated FAA regulations and may face criminal charges. We'll see. Part of me thinks no DA would go anywhere near this, but another part of me thinks it's a perfect storm of events for a DA and FAA to get the word out that you always obey a flight crew. If they bring charges, everyone in the country will know what happens when you disobey. That might be worth the short-lived social media blowback to some FAA functionary.

Edited by monkeylizard

Real bottom line is that most folks only have a choice between 2-4 airlines for domestic travel, and often just one to realistically meet their schedule.  It's a pretty exclusive industry, not one folks can really affect all that much by consumer choice.

- OS

• Like 1

IMO there is no way    United would support making charges on this guy.  In addition they let him back onto the plane the big problem is that you bump paying customers for employees.  I understand the federal rules and law.   Both are in the wrong but I'm betting this guy gets a big payday 

16 hours ago, chances R said:

IMO there is no way    United would support making charges on this guy.  In addition they let him back onto the plane the big problem is that you bump paying customers for employees.  I understand the federal rules and law.   Both are in the wrong but I'm betting this guy gets a big payday 

It's got nothing to do with United at this point. He violated federal law by not complying with direction from the flight crew and resisted arrest by the police, and it's all on multiple videos.  

I'd say his best case scenario is they agree to disagree and he writes his lawyer a big check. 

Edited by peejman
2 hours ago, peejman said:

It's got nothing to do with United at this point. He violated federal law by not complying with direction from the flight crew and resisted arrest by the police, and it's all on multiple videos.  

I'd say his best case scenario is they agree to disagree and he writes his lawyer a big check. 

I would agree with you had he been arrested. However I can’t find anything that says he was arrested or charged after he got out of the hospital. Unless things have changed since I was a Police Officer in Illinois (many years ago); you can’t beat someone’s azz, not arrest them, and then later claim they were resisting. If they claim he resisted; he should have been arrested.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I would agree with you had he been arrested. However I can’t find anything that says he was arrested or charged after he got out of the hospital. Unless things have changed since I was a Police Officer in Illinois (many years ago); you can’t beat someone’s azz, not arrest them, and then later claim they were resisting. If they claim he resisted; he should have been arrested.

Failure to comply with the flight crew is certainly grounds for being arrested, but perhaps he wasn't.  The whole situation is beyond strange. 

An "expert" on travel stated on Fox that if one is not drunk, drugged, disruptive and have been seated on the plane then they cannot be removed unwillingly.  Also this guy was let back onto the plane.  Nobody gets arrested and processed that fast.  So we will have to wait for the ending.

1 hour ago, chances R said:

An "expert" on travel stated on Fox that if one is not drunk, drugged, disruptive and have been seated on the plane then they cannot be removed unwillingly.  

Then they weren’t an "expert". FOX brings people on all they time that clearly don’t know what they are talking about. Don’t you ever watch Tucker Carlson? biggrin.gif

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

On 4/15/2017 at 5:53 PM, chances R said:

Guess that's why we have lawyers and everyone has video/cellphones

Exactly. So what you should do is call your attorney and tell him three Security Guards are telling you that you have to get off a plane, let him know they look very serious and you would like to know if they can legally do that. I know for a fact that usually doesn’t work well on the street; I doubt it works any better in an airplane. biggrin.gif

Considering the plane was sitting at the gate with the Door open, Ground Control and the supervising Gate agent in charge had control of everything, passenger actions included.  Once the Door closes then the Flight Crew takes control of passengers.  Ground Control still has control of aircraft until it is headed down the runway or lifts off the ground.    

I doubt the Flight attendants or pilot had anything to do with this.  It was all Gate Agents and United Ground control.