Firearms in boats

Did I read or hear something pertaining to being able to now carry firearms in boats in Tennessee on lakes and rivers or did I just dream it. I have always done it but I think I heard or  or read where it was not legal to do so. Can anyone verify that for me?

Thanks Bersaguy

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

There isn't a specific exception for possession in boats like there is for vehicles in TCA.

There are bills in this legislative session to allow such, perhaps that's what you've heard about recently.

- OS

Thanks OS. I think I did hear it on the news one night that a law had been passed allowing firearms carried while in a boat but would like to confirm it even though I never put my boat in any lake without a heater on my hip. Boat ramps can be a dangerous place, especially at night. About 3 years ago there was a fisherman killed at the Mona boat ramp in Smyrna while  in broad daylight as he was going up to get his truck and trailer and load his boat and his daughter was down in the boat when they killed him. They said several vehicles had been broken into and the police think he may have stumbled up on the thieves while they were stealing stuff. Bad guys have never been caught to this day. I do a lot of night fishing on area lakes and never alone and I do make sure I light up the entire parking area with my boat headlamps before I drop my partner at the dock to get the tow vehicle. That person is also armed and I sit right by the dock till he has the trailer backed in for loading.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Thanks OS. I think I did hear it on the news one night that a law had been passed allowing firearms carried while in a boat ...

Looked it up, think this is the one, has been passed, waiting on Haslam's sig:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0688&GA=110

Simply added "motorized boat" to existing exception in 39-17-1307.

So, that still leaves out folks in canoes and kayaks or whatever.

- OS

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

OS you always have the answer. I could carry a battery powered fan and call it a trolling motor. It will keep me cool when not in use. lol

No need.

ON MARCH 16, 2017, THE HOUSE ADOPTED AMENDMENT #1 AND PASSED HOUSE BILL 688, AS AMENDED.

AMENDMENT #1 removes references to recreation vehicles and makes this bill applicable to all boats, instead of just motorized boats.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

No need.

Good catch Dave, I didn't take time to look for amendments, my bad.

specific wording is:

"(1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm, loaded firearm, or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle or

boat if the person:

(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and

(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle or boat.

(2)

(A) As used in this subsection (e):

(i) "Boat" means any watercraft, other than a seaplane on the water, designed and used primarily for navigation or transportation on the water;

(ii) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103.

(B) This subsection (e) shall not apply to a motor vehicle or boat that is:

(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms, loaded firearms, or firearm ammunition not required for employment within the motor vehicle or boat; and

(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Met a TWRA officer once upon a time. They don't get particularly interested unless the firearm is questionable for self defense.

I have sat and talked with Game Wardens while on the lake when they approached my boat to check registration and all safety equipment and fishing license. I had one of my Bersa's on my hip and they never said a word about it or me being armed while on the water. They ask if the fish were biting and other casual stuff while checking my papers and then told me to have a nice day and moved on.

• Like 1

When I took the TWRA boater safety course in 2014 I specifically asked the TWRA officer if you could carry in a boat and he said that you could. He said TVA had rules against firearms at boat ramps but as long as you weren't brandishing or shooting it then you wouldn't have a problem with TWRA.