SCCY Firearms Moving to Blount County

Garufa

21 minutes ago, dralarms said:

it's my understanding that the guy who designed the Kentucky p11 is the same guy who owns this company. 

Grendel? Before the keltec p11 was the Grendel p11, before that was the Grendel p10. Nasty little gun and not in a good way. I've got one if someone is crazy enough to want it I could be talked out of it easy!

1 hour ago, dralarms said:

it's my understanding that the guy who designed the Kentucky p11 is the same guy who owns this company. 

That was George Kellgren, founder of Kel-Tec. I think the only connection is that some accused SKYY/SCCY founder Joe Roebuck of basically copying the design. Doesn't seem quite as blatantly as did Ruger with the 3AT/LCP though. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Sidecarist said:

Grendel? Before the keltec p11 was the Grendel p11, before that was the Grendel p10. Nasty little gun and not in a good way. I've got one if someone is crazy enough to want it I could be talked out of it easy!

I thought the Grendel was cool when it first came out but not cool enough to want one. Ditto on the KT P11 but I know people who believe those are the finest concealed carry pistols ever.

13 minutes ago, TNWNGR said:

I thought the Grendel was cool when it first came out but not cool enough to want one. Ditto on the KT P11 but I know people who believe those are the finest concealed carry pistols ever.

I'll beg to differ on its suitability for edc... I got mine in a trade years ago. It's an interesting design. Reliability is horrible on my example.

The owner has some pretty ambitious goals. I hope this works out; we need more quality American Made guns. And it’s a big bonus if they are made in Tennessee. thumbsup.gif

Buy American, Hire American, America First. patriot.gif

Those of you here that know me know that I was saying that long before Trump got into politics. But that’s okay, I’ll let him us it. biggrin.gif

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Looks like that CPX-2 is just a little shorter than a SHIELD but lighter? Opinions?

Are they pronouncing that name Sky?

$228 is kinda tempting to just give it a try.

Yes, according to Hickok45 it is pronounced "sky".

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Looks like that CPX-2 is just a little shorter than a SHIELD but lighter? Opinions?

I went to the range this morning and ran 150 rounds through my G17 (new sights), about 50 rounds through my 9mm Shield (pocket carry) and about 150-160 rounds through my 9mm Sccy.

Dave is right on the weight difference of course. The Sccy weighs in at 15 oz, my 9mm Shield around 20 oz. Those are unloaded weights.

The Sccy has a double stack 10 round magazine and therefore a significantly thicker grip.The Sccy's grip is more akin to a Glock 26 vs the thinness of the Shield. 

I find the transition from the Shield's trigger (mine is smooth and easy with a positive reset right out of the box) to the Sccy's is like the difference between shooting a striker fired semiauto and revolver. I even use the same rolling trigger technique I would use on my J Frame Smith. You can even “stage” the Sccy trigger like you can a DAO revolver.

I don’t know the dimensions because I haven’t measured it…but the Sccy has a short enough grip that I pinched the crap out of my right palm a couple of times doing mags changes while running a few drills. It’s no big deal as I’ve done similar with my Shield a time or two.

The Sccy, (possibly?) seems to be settling in or breaking in somewhat. I’ve only put about 400 rounds through it so far…but the feeding of SD ammo seems to be markedly improving.

I ran one 10 mags of Pow’R Ball through it (already knew that it feed reliably)

but I also ran a mag of each of the following with no issues:

Black Hills 124 gr +P Gold Dot

Winchester Ranger 147 gr +P HP

Remington 147 gr Golden Saber HP

Winchester (White Box) 147 gr HP

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr HP standard velocity

I have some 147 gr HST coming today I plan to try on my next range session)

The rest of the rounds were handloaded PC 130 & 155 gr RN I normally practice with.

If you replicate this please have extra Bandaids with you… It’s a very light pistol with a few sharp edges that are noticeable when running the +P loads…

As a Rule of Thumb, I don’t carry any handgun for defensive purposes until I have between 750-1000 through them to “prove” their reliability to me.

I don’t plan to forego my Shield nor my Glocks… but I am pleasantly surprised with my $200.00 investment thus far.

• Like 1

I finally got around to watching some of the videos. I haven’t read all the responses here yet so forgive me if this was already addressed but….

In Hickock45’s video he said you can’t use the slide release to release the slide; you must slingshot it. But in another video the guy (Iraqvet or something) was doing it. So what up with that? I never slingshot a slide; I always use the slide release. But I also never carry a second mag, so I’m not sure that would be that big of a deal; just seemed weird.

13 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I finally got around to watching some of the videos. I haven’t read all the responses here yet so forgive me if this was already addressed but….

In Hickock45’s video he said you can’t use the slide release to release the slide; you must slingshot it. But in another video the guy (Iraqvet or something) was doing it. So what up with that? I never slingshot a slide; I always use the slide release. But I also never carry a second mag, so I’m not sure that would be that big of a deal; just seemed weird.

You can definitely use the slide release Dave. That sucker is tiny and crammed into a small gun to start with...but it's "doable". Mine has the manual safety fwiw.

I default to an overhand slingshot method as that was how I initially trained. After 10 of thousands of reps it's just ingrained in me. But I did intentionally use the slide release several times when running my Sccy the other day.

I always carry a second magazine. Not so much because I fantasize about taking on the Isis hoards :rolleyes: ...but as a malfunction clearance tool... and simply because magazines are usually the failure component culprit in a semiauto...low probability issue...but I train to keep the gun running and the extra mag is a link in that chain. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

SCCY was started by a former employee or former employees of Kel Tec who ripped off the design for the P11 and started SCCY right down the road from Kel Tec based on that stolen design which was the only firearm they offered when they first opened.  One of the SCCY company executives started an account on KTOG (the Kel Tec Owner's Group forum) several years ago and apparently did some pretty unethical and dishonest things while hiding his affiliation with SCCY.  My understanding is that the company president 'didn't know' and later came on KTOG to apologize.  With business practices like that I don't think I want to trust one of their handguns even if they have redesigned some things and are offering some new designs.  That is just my :2cents:, though.

Edited by JAB

I got some Federal 9mm HST 147 gr +P last week...but I was recovering from knee surgery and had to wait until yesterday morning to try it out in the SCCY.

I only ran 2 mags (20 rounds) of the HST as my range time was limited. The SCCY fed the 2 mags without issue. The surprising thing was it grouped 3 rounds into a small cloverleaf at 15 yards. This particular gun shoots about 6" high with the 147's at 15 yards (for me). Needless to say I'm pleased with the grouping as my shooting abilities are mediocre at best. I would prefer non-plus P ammo though. The +P HST is obviously manageable, but would be abusive to such a light gun over time. But the SCCY seems to be a pretty solid little gun for it's price point thus far.

Just a FWIW and FYI. :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to talk to one of the reps from sccy at the NRA show. They are going to build in Maryville as soon as they learn how to pronounce it. What I looked at looked like a good product for what it is intended.

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Have they started building yet?

No. My post above was incorrect. That building was just the company across the street adding another building.  

Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure exactly where the property is they bought. If it's where I think it is, there's been zero activity. No surveyors, no signs, nothing.  Though there is a fairly significant road building project nearby, so I suppose it's possible they're waiting on that. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1