Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless

KahrMan

Just picked up my first 1903.  These are cool little guns.  This one was made in 1913.  Not bad looking for 104 years old. The 1903

is a .32.  The 1908s, which look the same, are .380.  I will probably end up getting one of those also.

The slide is tight and a little sticky.  I need to stip it and give it a good cleaning and then off to the range.

4a7c3568d0a71da4105acb96430e2b28.jpg

7dbf3160830e0b46b6ff1a31519595ca.jpg

adc946908a407d70a858e6cef46574b9.jpg

7b64f5ef229009ded87ce117abe9dc94.jpg

9e2ca1821bb136b25386a24b76e0a627.jpg

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 6

Kahrman, you may already know this, but just throwing out a word of warning.  These guns won't pass the"drop test".  Also, if you disassemble down to the bare frame, they are extremely difficult to reassemble, even with detailed instructions.  YMMV.

3 hours ago, Bigiron said:

Kahrman, you may already know this, but just throwing out a word of warning.  These guns won't pass the"drop test".  Also, if you disassemble down to the bare frame, they are extremely difficult to reassemble, even with detailed instructions.  YMMV.

Where were you yesterday?  Lol. I stiripped down to give her a good cleaning. 

I am having a hell of time getting it back together. The slide sticks to the frame when you try to slide it back on.  I can tap/bang the slide back on to the racked position and then tap it back into battery but I can not physically grab the slide and move it back and forth. Before i cleaned it I could but it was tough and sticky. Thought a good cleaning would fix that.  Got any suggestions?

Than ks for the video.  I did not take it down that far  The problem I am having is what you see at 14:47.  He is able to slide the slide back on the frame with out resistance.  Thats where I am having problems.  the slide will not slide back on the frame without sticking.  

I am going to soak the frame and slide in some Kroil overnight and then clean it again.  Hopefully that will help.

Update.  I gave the slide and frame another good scrubbing after letting them soak in Kroil overnight.  When I start to put the  slide onto frame it still sticks.  I can tap the end of the slide with my palm and it goes into battery.  From there I can now grab the slide and rack it back and forth freely.  I installed the new recoil spring, put the barrel in and got it back together.  Now it seems to function like it should.  From the racked position the slide snaps back into battery.  I loaded the magazine and racked the slide several times.  The ammo loaded and ejected just like it should.  Now I just need to get it to the range and test her out.
Thanks for all help.

There may be old built up gunk that you can't see [in the rail slot(s)]

Did you try putting the slide on without the spring, to see if it was smooth?

It is possible [I pray not] that the slide is slightly bent, hard to say without holding it myself.

Glad to hear it is smooth in normal function now. Shoot it, then look for any new abnormal wear when you take it down again.

If it has old gunk, and after your kroil bath, it should shoot free with use.

To check if the slide has any bent spots, put a SS ruler along the sides. inside and out.

Love them little mouse Colts [and some others too].

101_5470.jpg

• Like 2