Smart Carry & Belly Bag as CC "Holsters"

I just posted this on another topic -- but felt it is applicable and would get more attention here. 

Smart Carry is a brand of "Holster" with it's on belt and compartments for carry inside your trousers. Don't laugh when you see it -- it works. Check U-Tube for demos. I used one around the house for a day as a test and it is reasonably comfortable even with a TAURUS Millennium G2. 

Bought one at Flea Market (Exit 407 of I-40) for $5.99. Probably not as good quality as some others (at $40 to $60), but OK by me and one could add extra stitching.   

The above would work for dress up when you might not want a belly bag.

HOWEVER, Belly Bag is my choice. Posting a picture below to show what I do with mine. Zippered compartment for phone, two billfolds for cards and a little cash, and a compartment that is zipped up (can carry "whatever' - extra magazine for one).  FINALLY, the Velcro Closed compartment for a gun - that is the Taurus G2 in there. 

Takes some practice to draw as you open the Velcro where the gun is. There is Velcro top and both sides. I am right handed, so I open Velcro with left hand and put right hand on grip at the same time. 

Leave it on in car - seat elt foes under teh belly bag and keeps eat belt down at your pelvis where it should be. I have used on a bicycle ride also. Could use on MC, but I keep gum in tank bag or saddle bag on MC as do not like the gun on body in case of accdent.  

DSCN0937.JPG

• Like 1

I know a few Paramedics and others that carry in Belly Bands and Smart carry holsters in certain NPE environments. I've used a Belly Band for such a role (niche) for many years...sometimes we don't have much choice.

I also have used fanny packs for certain circumstances for over 25 years. When I first started using fanny packs in the early 90's there were an everyday seen and worn type item in the general populace...then for a decade or so they were decried by the Tacticool crowd as a "shoot me first...get you kelled on 'da streets" piece of kit...but they are becoming more ubiquitous yet again.

I never stopped having one with loaded with a Glock 26 sized gun, 2 spare mags, small OC spray, a TQ, a Surefire flashlight and a BOK. I drag it in and out of my vehicle, but primarily use it for long drives or as a "grab and go" bag/tool...but I will still have my normal EDC guns & gear on as well. Like above, I find it a convenient niche tool. I also find it a necessity to learn how to run the fanny pack one handed, with either hand, as situations will dictate. I have a small carabiner attached to the pull and that makes it markedly easier to open with either hand.

Many years back, Andy Stanford of Options for Personal Security (OPS) had a good video out demonstrating use of the fanny pack in the counter-carjacking role. I couldn't locate that particular vid, but can hopefully post one below from my old training partner Paul Gomez (RIP Brother). Paul was one of the most analytical thinkers to ever grace the self defense industry and he is missed.

Edited by prag
  • Like 1