S&W M&P .45 compact

john455

I am a tried and true Glock convert, with that said I found a great deal on a M&P .45 compact, so I bought it, took it to the range, and I hate this pistol!! Well not really the gun itself. It's the trigger, this thing has so much play in the pull and no feel on the reset. IDK if it's just that I am so use to my G30 or what? Anyone else have this problem? I've never had a trigger job done on one of my guns but seriously thinking about it on this one, and recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a compact in 9mm.  Is it a great trigger.....no, but usable.  Same thing can be said about most M&Ps and one of their short-comings addressed reasonably well in their 2.0 edition.  An Apex kit will markedly improve your situation, but as is should be more than adequate for SD purposes.  Of course it will never be a bullseye gun.

I bought one in the Fall of 15. Hated it.  The trigger was horrible and the balance was all wrong for me.  I also hated the grip felt like I was holding onto a thick broom handle.  I also wasn't that impressed with the accuracy.  I also don't like weapons that require a tool to take it down.  I traded it for a XDs .45 and have never regretted it.  Doubt I will ever buy another M&P again.

I own a full size M&P40 (My 2nd), an M&P40 C (My 2nd) and an M&P Shield. None of the triggers are anything to brag about, but I never considered replacing them; they were functional and about all I expected out of a Tupperware gun.

Last December I ordered the first 9mm I have had in over 25 years. I wanted it for a target gun and was putting an optic on it. So I order the “Pro Series” and it said it was a “Performance Center”. What a POS. The trigger was like it was dragging across gravel and when it finally broke it was so rough it caused the gun to jump. It was worse than a Hi-Point.

It made two trips back to Smith & Wesson. The 2nd time after I wrote a letter to the Firearms Director, I got a call from the customer support guy that said he just came from a meeting with the Firearms Director and he was going to fix my problem. Well…. He let me know in short order that was running Customer Service and it’s not the Firearms Director. The gun came back to me with absolutely nothing done to it.

Performance Center my Butt. I do not believe that gun ever saw the inside of the Performance Center unless it was passing through on a cart. I notice they are putting “Performance Center: on a lot of their guns now. That name use to mean something; I don’t think it does now.

Those who have been around here for a long time can tell you I am a Smith & Wesson fanboy. I make no bones about it. But apparently their Customer Support has dropped to the same unacceptable level as everyone else’s.

I spent over $200 for the full trigger and some plastic tools from Apex and put a new trigger in last weekend. I haven’t shot it yet. It feels many times better than the original trigger, but I heard folks say it felt like a 1911 trigger. I like the trigger, but if it feels like your 1911; your 1911 is broke. biggrin.gif

I'll agree with you there aren't any Tupperware/striker guns that can match a decent 1911 trigger.

I have a nice selection of S&W revolvers and the new ones aren't like the older ones. I have a shield 9mm and the trigger is acceptable for what it is. A 1911 it aint...

I picked up a Canik elite and was stunned by the quality of the trigger. I bought it on the spot, even made sure I got the one I had handled and not one from the back stock.

Some don't like them because they are made in turkey. I'm not so bothered by it. If you are looking for a reasonably priced 9mm with a remarkable trigger. Give it a look. Frankly I am still shaking my head. It beats any other striker poly gun I've ever handled for trigger, and accuracy. It's not a 1911 trigger but it's the best I've found so far...

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I prefer a nice trigger on a firearm as much as the next guy, I guess, but I swear to God some folks just obsess over trigger feel.  There are so many other aspects of a handgun that ought to be given equal or greater consideration, but here we are once again talking about triggers.

I've owned a few and shot plenty of 1911s with what I would call seriously terrible triggers.  And trigger "feel" is so relative to the shooter's preference that it seems insane to me how folks fixate on it like it's the one thing we can all agree on and should, therefore, be the measuring stick against which all firearms should be judged.

But the thing about the M&P triggers, is they have been this way since the beginning. It's the top complaint that I have heard and read about them. Got to figure S&W has heard the samething, but it seems they've made no effort to improve them. Seems they aren't very interested in improving their product.

But regardless of the trigger, it's still honestly the worst feeling semi auto, I have ever had. Ungainly and unwieldy. From my point of view any way.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I own a full size M&P40 (My 2nd), an M&P40 C (My 2nd) and an M&P Shield. None of the triggers are anything to brag about, but I never considered replacing them; they were functional and about all I expected out of a Tupperware gun.

Last December I ordered the first 9mm I have had in over 25 years. I wanted it for a target gun and was putting an optic on it. So I order the “Pro Series” and it said it was a “Performance Center”. What a POS. The trigger was like it was dragging across gravel and when it finally broke it was so rough it caused the gun to jump. It was worse than a Hi-Point.

It made two trips back to Smith & Wesson. The 2nd time after I wrote a letter to the Firearms Director, I got a call from the customer support guy that said he just came from a meeting with the Firearms Director and he was going to fix my problem. Well…. He let me know in short order that was running Customer Service and it’s not the Firearms Director. The gun came back to me with absolutely nothing done to it.

Performance Center my Butt. I do not believe that gun ever saw the inside of the Performance Center unless it was passing through on a cart. I notice they are putting “Performance Center: on a lot of their guns now. That name use to mean something; I don’t think it does now.

Those who have been around here for a long time can tell you I am a Smith & Wesson fanboy. I make no bones about it. But apparently their Customer Support has dropped to the same unacceptable level as everyone else’s.

I spent over $200 for the full trigger and some plastic tools from Apex and put a new trigger in last weekend. I haven’t shot it yet. It feels many times better than the original trigger, but I heard folks say it felt like a 1911 trigger. I like the trigger, but if it feels like your 1911; your 1911 is broke. biggrin.gif

"Get yourself a Glock, and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" :) 

23 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

"Get yourself a Glock, and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" :) 

I wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock for free if I had to keep it. I almost said that trigger was as bad as a Glock. But it truly was worse than that; if that’s even possible. biggrin.gif

I did get another 686 last night though.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock for free if I had to keep it. I almost said that trigger was as bad as a Glock. But it truly was worse than that; if that’s even possible. biggrin.gif

I did get another 686 last night though.

No better revolver than a S&W. Plastic guns are a nuther thing.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, TGO David said:

I prefer a nice trigger on a firearm as much as the next guy, I guess, but I swear to God some folks just obsess over trigger feel.  There are so many other aspects of a handgun that ought to be given equal or greater consideration, but here we are once again talking about triggers.

I've owned a few and shot plenty of 1911s with what I would call seriously terrible triggers.  And trigger "feel" is so relative to the shooter's preference that it seems insane to me how folks fixate on it like it's the one thing we can all agree on and should, therefore, be the measuring stick against which all firearms should be judged.

I'll agree with you completely. I love a good trigger. If you have the fundamentals down it will help you shoot better, if not then it's just bragging rights.

I have been out shot by better shooters with less than optimum guns it can be humbling and motivating...

By their nature striker pistols can't have as good a trigger as a hammer gun. If you want a truly awesome trigger a S&W revolver in single action is hard to beat!

22 hours ago, TGO David said:

Very well said! I have shot guns that supposedly have the best trigger jobs in the world. Rarely have I been able to tell the difference between it and a stock trigger. I know that sounds stupid, but usually I can't. Just my lack of good tactile feel in the fingers. Sure I can tell the difference between a 10lb and a 5lb pull, but that's about as far as it goes for me.

Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a fine pistol or rifle though from all the other aspects of construction and usability. I just boils down to the individual user. 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, Sidecarist said:

I'll agree with you there aren't any Tupperware/striker guns that can match a decent 1911 trigger.

I have a nice selection of S&W revolvers and the new ones aren't like the older ones. I have a shield 9mm and the trigger is acceptable for what it is. A 1911 it aint...

I picked up a Canik elite and was stunned by the quality of the trigger. I bought it on the spot, even made sure I got the one I had handled and not one from the back stock.

Some don't like them because they are made in turkey. I'm not so bothered by it. If you are looking for a reasonably priced 9mm with a remarkable trigger. Give it a look. Frankly I am still shaking my head. It beats any other striker poly gun I've ever handled for trigger, and accuracy. It's not a 1911 trigger but it's the best I've found so far...

I have 2 Caniks now, and totally agree with you. I rank their triggers very close to the Walther PPQ triggers; which are for me, about the best of the stock triggers on a non-1911 out there. 

37 minutes ago, hipower said:

Have you had any luck in finding grip screws for a Smith? I haven't.

I have never needed any. But if I did I would post on the S&W forum. Sometimes users there will send you that kind of stuff for free or cheap to cover postage if they have it.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Moped said:

But the thing about the M&P triggers, is they have been this way since the beginning. It's the top complaint that I have heard and read about them. Got to figure S&W has heard the samething, but it seems they've made no effort to improve them. Seems they aren't very interested in improving their product.

In my opinion, the trigger on the M2.0 is greatly improved and feels fantastic.

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I have never needed any. But if I did I would post on the S&W forum. Sometimes users there will send you that kind of stuff for free or cheap to cover postage if they have it.

Thanks, I have had no luck from them either so far. Just thought I'd ask.

Glad you don't need any, they are very hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 11:44 AM, Erik88 said:

I think most M&P owners install the apex upgrade which helps dramatically.

Any competent gun smith can do an M&P for  15 in parts ( spring kit)  and some polishing

I own an M&P 40 with the APEX which is nice and I own an M&P45 I gave to a buddy of mine to work over and I must admit for 15 bucks (he did not change me labor) it is without a doubt a better trigger than my Apex version