TN General Assembly convenes on Tuesday

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Anyone know when they typically vote for the Speaker and other positions? In other words, will Tuesday be the day when we officially know the fate of Darth Naifeh?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

I've already sent this email to both my Rep and Senator...

Now that the new legislative year is upon us and it looks like Jimmy Naifeh wont be Speaker of the House, I hope you will step up and take a leadership position in getting the restaurant carry rules for HCP holders revised.

There is an exemption for a retail store (such as a grocery store) provided the HCP holder isn't consuming alcohol, but not for a restaurant. Why not?

Last November, I visited the state of Georgia and brought along my handgun under the Tennessee/Georgia reciprocity agreement. While there, I carried my firearm in several restaurants. Some served alcohol, some didn't. It was a pleasure not having to worry about stashing my pistol or worrying about it getting stolen from my car. My pistol is much more secure from falling into the wrong hands when it's on my hip, than in a car out in the parking lot.

In what reality is it common sense to prohibit licensed individuals from being able to protect themselves just because they happen to be in a restaurant that serves alcohol? Forty other states don't think so. They all have some provision for allowing a HCP holder to patronize a restaurant while carrying their firearm for personal protection. Many have conditions such as not in bars or bar areas, or while not consuming alcohol, but at least there is some common sense involved. The fact that such a large number of states don't have a total ban like Tennessee gives us a large base to sample from, and in not one of them are HCP holders going on drunken shooting sprees. It just doesn't happen.

Tennessee needs to do away with this insane provision in the law, and make a retail food establishment (restaurant) exempt from the gun ban. It is already against the law to carry a firearm while intoxicated, why this extra restriction? This would be like banning anyone who visits a restaurant from driving afterward, regardless of whether or not they had anything to drink.

Rendering someone defenseless simply because they're in a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol, especially considering all the news we've seen lately about criminals targeting restaurants for armed robbery, is not what enlightened citizens think is right. Fixing this error in the law should be a top priority in 2009.

Guest pjblurton
This would be like banning anyone who visits a restaurant from driving afterward, regardless of whether or not they had anything to drink.

:screwy: Perfectly stated, sir. :drama:

Guest JavaGuy

The Tennessee General Assembly traditionally starts a legislative session at high noon on the second Tuesday in January. The first order of business will be to swear in the members. After the legislators are sworn in (and officially take office), the first order of business will be to elect the leadership.. speaker, speaker pro tem, etc... After both chambers have sworn in their membership (all the representatives and half of the senators), they will schedule a joint session (held in the house chamber) and elect the constitutional officers of the state. That's the secretary of state, state treasurer, comptroller of the treasury.

Yes, all of that will be available via streaming video on the legislature's website.

www.capitol.tn.gov

The old web address will take you there as well.

www.legislature.state.tn.us

Guest abailey362

but it won't be a business open to the public that serves for consumption on the premises so that makes it ok.....and hopefully that will change

on a related note, i am looking forward to not having to drive to georgia to go to applebee's

I have sent letters today to Rep. Brian Kelsey and my Sen. Jim Kyle.

Hexhead, I used a lot of your letter above for my letter, hope you don't mind. Very good letter.

I just read an article in the Commercial Appeal that said Jimmy Naifeh was expecting to win House Speaker again. He thinks some of the Republicans will cross party lines and vote for him. In these tough economic times he says he is the man for the job. I pray he is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I just read an article in the Commercial Appeal that said Jimmy Naifeh was expecting to win House Speaker again. He thinks some of the Republicans will cross party lines and vote for him. In these tough economic times he says he is the man for the job. I pray he is wrong, wrong, wrong.

For Naifeh not to win all 50 Repulican Reps must 1) show up and 2) vote against him.

A tie (49-49) means he's still in, at least temporarily. If two R's don't show up and/or vote for him. He's in.

Edited by Garufa
What happens if Dems all vote for him, and Repubs are split? Not sure if they would do that or not, but it could also be a show-stopper.

I believe the only two canidates are Nafieh (D) and Munpower ®. If all 49 dems for for Nafieh, it would only take one republican to vote for Nafieh for him to get it.

Guest bluecanary25

Yo! Thanks, JAVAGUY, for info relating to Legislative voting procedure in the next couple days.

I have also heard the romours that Republicans have all vowed to vote Party line for leadership. (ask former Sen. Kurita about breaking ranks....)

So after oath of office, barring absence of any Republican members. very strong chance that Rep. Mumpower will get House speaker.

We can hope for a change that will inproves our lives.

Guest bkelm18
Yo! Thanks, JAVAGUY, for info relating to Legislative voting procedure in the next couple days.

I have also heard the romours that Republicans have all vowed to vote Party line for leadership. (ask former Sen. Kurita about breaking ranks....)

So after oath of office, barring absence of any Republican members. very strong chance that Rep. Mumpower will get House speaker.

We can hope for a change that will inproves our lives.

We can hope. But we all know how gov't works.