Hey guys, after shooting/training for a few hours today in heavy rain, I learned that my camo rain gear isn't what I was hoping it would be. 

What do you guys use that's been tested and works!? I mean really works, even when you are in the elements for a long time. Thanks. 

Tom 

• Like 1

Look at what motorcyclists use. Driving 70mph in the rain will test the waterproofness.

There are several things to consider here...

Rainwear is waterproof in both directions. If you are working hard you will be wet from sweat. Goretex can't handle the volume caused by working hard. Good wicking base layers help a ton.

Durability, does it need to be tough enough to crawl around on the ground in?

If durability isn't the highest priority look at frog toggs or similar. Light remarkably waterproof easy to pack.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Ha!  Great thread and very coincidental to my own questions after shooting out in the worst of it yesterday as well.  My Carhartt "Force" jacket did pretty good for the first little bit but it was soaked through by the time it was over with.

• Like 1

I have an Aerostitch suit for riding it's the best combo I've found for that, goretex, armor etc. But when setting up camp splitting wood etc. I get soaked from the inside out. The goretex can't handle the heat load. I carry a frog togg jacket and pants for work and play it just works better.

Wicking undershirt maybe a light fleece if it's cool underneath. 

Dry and warm with low activity is very different from dry and warm when working.

My dad swore by a simple wool jacket treated with lanolin. Waxed canvas jacket for heavy rain.

• Like 1

This is helpful. I would say personally it would be medium activity but in rain for long periods of time.  Not mud crawling but not just standing around either. 

I know about frog togs but didn't really think about that for this situation but that might really work. Plus it's so cheap it wouldn't hurt to try it out. 

Waterproof/Breathable is what you are striving for.  Gore-tex had the patent for many years and in some ways is still the best.  But there are a lot of newer proprietary fabrics out there that will serve you very well also.

Especially in the warm/humid environment in the spring, there is a fine line between waterproof and breathable as you will sweat under most any waterproof material making it somewhat pointless if you end up as wet underneath and you would have been if you had been rained on.

Hiking, I find my perfect compromise is the Mamot Precip or similar waterproof breathable fabrics.....but these lightweight fabrics are not super durable and I try to avoid underbrush and other things that could poke a hole in the fabric, but they do a very good job of keeping rain off of you even in extended periods (1 to 3 days).

Not sure how such a lightweight fabric would hold up to a range day, but am thinking something Gore-Tex and maybe thicker would hold up better in that situation.

YMMV of course. 

• Like 1

I would go to Bass Pro and try on some of the rain gear, they have different weights/materials, might find something.  OP doesn't say what "training" consisted of, so some rain pants with a cordura exterior should hold up well.

I have a Aerostich goretex lined riding suit as well, would hold up well to just about anything you care to throw at it but on the heavy side as it is not designed for much physical activity.  There are different weights of the cordura material available so you might find something at BPS/Cabelas/GM, etc. that would work for your situation.

• Like 1

Gore-Tex here as well, and with all the surplus out there you should be able to get one inexpensively.  Under Armour (or the like) as a base layer helps, specially with shedding excess moisture quickly.  When doing a lot of heavy physical activity in the rain, I would opt to just get wet and change into something dry afterward because anything that keeps you dry will also tend to overheat you.  Light to medium activity, such as any range work, gore tex will handle that just fine, they have a wet weather gore tex and a cold weather gore tex as well so you can chose what weight to buy.

• Like 1

I have used frog toggs for the last two years. It is extremely lightweight but still not what I am looking for. I also have a Beretta shooting jacket that i have just started using which keeps me pretty warm. It does lack a hood but keeps me extremely comfortable. I spent the last four days out in the rain at the Gamaliel Cup freezing and wet even though I had a rain coat. Definitely looking for some rain pants. My personal favorite is anything Gore-Tex which I have for several hunting coats. Does anyone have a good suggestion for rain pants? 

Well I'm not  a pro bass fisherman but I did for about 30 years fish bass tournaments and rain gear was essential. Until Frogg Toggs came out good rain gear was hard to find. When Frogg Toggs came out I  bought the bibb pants and the pull over jacket. A few other anglers where at the store the same time. One of them asked me why I didn't get the zip up jacket and I said because rain will blow up under the bottom but the pull over has an elastic bottom that wraps around the bibbs and makes a seal. I still have that first pair of Frogg Toggs and still wear them occassionally but did get a good set of Gortex with the Bibbs and Pull over jacket and running across the lake in the early morning at the start of a tournament with my Gortex, and Motorcycle Helmet and rain-ex coated face shield at 70 mph is not my favorite thing to do but I did it many times cause I loved to fish. Those days are long gone as far as tournaments are concerned but I still enjoy fishing and my Frogg Toggs are still in the boat in case a rain sneeks in on me while out on the lake.

On 4/24/2017 at 9:30 AM, shotgunshooter said:

I have used frog toggs for the last two years. It is extremely lightweight but still not what I am looking for. I also have a Beretta shooting jacket that i have just started using which keeps me pretty warm. It does lack a hood but keeps me extremely comfortable. I spent the last four days out in the rain at the Gamaliel Cup freezing and wet even though I had a rain coat. Definitely looking for some rain pants. My personal favorite is anything Gore-Tex which I have for several hunting coats. Does anyone have a good suggestion for rain pants? 

I was pleased with the pants I had on last Saturday (it was the jacket that was leaking all over me)  I had tru-spec 24-7 pants with the water resistant coating on them (DuPont Teflon coating i think?).  They worked very well, the rain would bead up and roll down.  The only problem was i kept putting my wet hands in my pockets, not smart but overall pleased with those. 

There is nothing waterproof except a fishes butthole.  But you can get some pretty good products that will keep you dry for a long period of time.  My point is depending on the amount of rain and length of time any waterproof fabric will wet through, even high-end Goretex.   I recently bought a Mammut Goretex jacket from REI and have been sufficiently happy with it but have not spent a full rainy day in it yet.  I like buying from REI cause I'm a member (only costs $10) and you can return any item for any reason after purchase.  Even if you just don't like it.  But if you buy a 'waterproof' jacket and it wets through in an hour you have to deal with warranty issues and such with the manufacturer.  With REI you just return or exchange it