When did you get out and shoot last?

• Administrator

I am curious.  When is the last time you got out and did some shooting?  Did you just go to the range for some target practice, were you shooting in a competition, or was it at a class?

It seems like a lot of folks that I've spoken with lately are in a slump and haven't gotten out very recently to shoot.  Granted, the weather this weekend hasn't been the best for it either but I got out yesterday anyway in the middle of probably the most torrential rain we've had recently and ran a few guns in it just to see how they (and I) would handle less than ideal conditions.  No surprises, I and they did just fine.

i-p264pjK-600x450.jpg

i-b5T5HMK-600x450.jpg

i-m9bJTB7-600x450.jpg

i-xhBDg7c-600x450.jpg

One thing that became very apparent to me in the middle of the downpour -- and I do mean that I shot out in the downpour, not under shelter -- was that the M&P M2.0 grip texture was a godsend and the Sig P320 grip texture left much to be desired.  I am glad that I have a grip module out for stippling with a gentleman in Arizona and can't wait to see how it stacks up when it returns.  That's really my only gripe about the P320.

How about you?  I am sure that some of the competitive shooters here and any local infantry grunts (current or former) have shot in the yuck and muck, but do any of the rest of you do this occasionally to test your gear, your abilities and yourself?

• Like 5

Sadly, I confess that I haven't shot anything in at least 2 months. Some family responsibilities have kept me from going out.

I usually just go to one of my area indoor ranges to shoot. Too wimpy to go outside most of the time.

But I do need to get a fresh start and even pledge to get some time in outdoors. Really. Hmmm. where have I heard that before?

Glad to hear your comment on the M&P M2, David. I have been strongly attracted to a 5" model in FDE, and since the CZ P10 hasn't shown up...

Edited by hipower

One sure way to make sure that the guns get a thorough clean and lube...

I like the grip texture on the P320 as a carry gun. I have not shot it in slippery conditions and it is remarkable how slippery things can get with just water let alone mud etc.

I used to run IPSC & IDPA matches rain or shine. Lots of fun and educational too.

I haven't shot enough in the last few months work and other obligations got in the way. That's changing now as the wife is getting her ccw and is pushing me to practice with her.

Since starting a new job in January I have been going a lot less but I plan on changing that now that the days are getting longer. I'm lucky that my range is 3 miles from my house.

I took the wife out to the range on Thursday after work. Her little p238 performed flawlessly as it always has and thankfully I didn't have any issues with my MPX either. I know a lot of gun owners that maybe go shooting once per year...maybe.

Yesterday the 22nd. Shot the Steel Challenge at ORSA and it rained all day. A lot of no-shows.
Also did the USPSA last weekend, on the 15th, but the weather was wonderful.

Steel Challenge 04/22/17:

steel_challenge_20170422-0282.jpg

USPSA 04/15/17:

uspsa_20170415-0278.jpg

Edited by Bob T

I've been going roughly every other weekend for the last year or so, I usually take the 92fs, FNX-T and a G19 MOS. I recently started going to the Gun room, no rifles but it's nice with good ventilation. I never knew how good i had it back in East TN far as shooting what ever when ever.  

Since I'm currently retired I get an opportunity to  get out to the range quite a bit.  At least twice a week I get out to the range to practice either with my handguns or rifles.  Depending on the week I shoot at least two competitions each week.   During IDPA and USPSA matches we always shoot a second gun which means we go through the stages two separate times.   I usually put down range around 1000 to 1200 rounds a week.   And yes my arm hurts from all the reloading.

Edited by The Legion
  • Like 2

I shoot pistol and/or shotgun pretty much every week in my backyard. The layout of the backyard and the surrounding woods pretty much sold me on the place, thankfully the boss liked the house :). I figure anything much larger/louder than pistols would probably have the neighbors up in arms. Hoping to get a can soon so that might change. It's been a few months since I've had any of the long guns out to the range.

Shot recently in a downpour with my LCP with its Crimson Trace laser.  The laser didn't last 7 minutes in heavy rain before crapping out. The LCP performed flawlessly, as have any of the guns shot in the rain. I took the laser off the gun while I was cleaning/drying it and let it sit open for a couple days to dry out. It's been working fine since it dried out but I found that to be valuable information. I've previously used several weapon lights of the self contained variety (as apposed to sandwiched around a trigger guard) and they usually perform better in the elements.

I was stationed in WA state for several years and shot in the rain more often than not. A couple helpful things for long guns was to smear a bit of bolt grease in the scope ring screws to prevent water from sitting in them and starting to rust. It's possible a shot of WD40 would serve the same purpose. Also a product named "Cat Crap" is helpful on lenses to prevent fogging and makes water bead up and easier blow off. Shooters Choice makes a product called rust prevent that is kind of like WD40 on steroids for water displacement/rust prevention. It works great for prolonged wet hunting/shooting trips where your firearm is pretty much soaked the whole time. After rain/ pre cleaning can be done a bit easier using compressed air to "dry" the firearm prior to cleaning. Care should be taken using compressed air around the optics however and thought should be given to any nooks and crannies that you might have forced water into lest you end up with hidden areas of rust. 

• Like 2

Been in quite a slump myself.  Between starting a new job a few months ago, completing a PMP class, and getting ready to move from Murfreesboro to Nashville, my free time has been very curtailed.  But...I'm settling into the job nicely, done with the PMP class (though I still need to study for the exam), and I'll be moved this week, so it's time to get back to the range.  Perfect timing on this thread to help keep me focused.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
10 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Been in quite a slump myself.  Between starting a new job a few months ago, completing a PMP class, and getting ready to move from Murfreesboro to Nashville, my free time has been very curtailed.  But...I'm settling into the job nicely, done with the PMP class (though I still need to study for the exam), and I'll be moved this week, so it's time to get back to the range.  Perfect timing on this thread to help keep me focused.

Getting some range time might just be the mental break that you need, dude.

I've finished up my collegiate season and won't pick up a shotgun until June. I'm shooting these state shoots this summer: NC, TN, AR, and KY. I will be shooting the Southern Zone the second week of July in NC or KY and will finish out my season by being in IL from 27 July until 12 August shooting the AIM Nationals and the Grand American. I haven't been shooting handguns at all and have been playing around with my AKs when I have free time. I have signed up to take Versatile Rifle at Hilltop Firearms Training Center on 20 May. I get my fair share of shooting in but it comes in spurts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I made it to the range 2x's last week, (Monday & Saturday) both related to the ARA match held 4/22 @ ORSA, rained off and on for the first 3 cards/targets, and then it tried to clear up for the last 3, caught a glimpse of blue sky but it didn't last long, and stayed mostly cloudy.  I usually try to get to the range at least weekly but don't always make it.  It's an hour drive for me one way, so I try to make the most of my time there.  

• Like 1

Went to Nashville Armory today. Seems like I'm on a 3 or 4 month schedule with these trips. Had to run up to Nashville for something and tossed my G23 and FNS9 in my bag with a few boxes of each. Enjoying the FN more and more each trip, especially out around 15 yards.  

Been a couple weeks for me. I hope to get out tomorrow unless I get to meet a guy to buy some ammo. 

I have a couple guns that I bought used that I need to put the first round through.  Sad when I can't get out often enough for that. I usually shoot outside though and the weather limits me.

37 minutes ago, raildog said:

Me and the guy's at the office take a long lunch on Monday's and shoot one week  and do combatives training the other 

I have a place I can shoot close to work and me and a few coworkers used to go shot often at lunch. Too bad those guys changed jobs.

Went back to ORSA 4/25 to help break down all the benches from the weekend matches (Sunday/ABRA got rained out) and to try out my DIY bench I made for ARA practice since I don't have access to the benches used in the matches.  After getting all 19 benches put up in the storage shed, I set my bench up and  ARA rig up, and started testing some different brands of ammo since I've gotten most of the tracking issues between my rifle and front rest/rear bag resolved.  Shot some pretty good groups with the best being ~.20", worst at ~.60" for 5 shot groups.  Groups don't mean squat in ARA matches tho.  LOL.   Still a good day as my DIY bench worked out well, and gained a bit more knowledge about the ARA game.

It's been about a month but finally made it to the indoor range the other day and sent about 300 rounds down range. I was lucky enough to run up on a guy that is reloading 380 ammo and he sold me 500 rounds for 12 bucks a box of 50 rounds. He also told me if I would save my brass he would give me a better price next time. I can afford to go a little more often now. I asked him what he could do for me on price if I supplied my brass and some lead and he said it would be even more affordable.