Before my first ever IDPA event?

How much preparation, equipment, etc. do I need to compete in my first ever IDPA competition?  I have read that "new shooters" are welcomed at some events, and I've read that equipment may be available if the shooter doesn't have everything, such as mag pouches.  Having no competition experience, should I get instruction on IDPA competitions before actually joining an event?  I'm watching videos for beginning IDPA that show a requirement for a flashlight; do I need a flashlight?  I am just starting to go through the rules on the official IDPA site.

There is a competition this Wednesday.  I kind of feel like jumping in.  Is an IDPA event acceptable as a place to start learning the sport, or do I need to watch a couple, and buy all the gear first?

My background, in shooting is pretty limited and restricted to static targets.  I've had 30 years of infrequent range visits since military service; I did pass the HCP.  I have done (only a little) draw and laserlyte practice at the house.  Sorry, I searched both IDPA and IDPA preparation, on this forum, and didn't really get my answer.  Thanks for your wisdom and assistance. 

I've only shot a few and I believe it's a great place to start. A gun, holster, mag pouch (but I have seen guys just use jacket pockets), three mags, cover, and ammo. No flashlight. Sign up and read the range rules before you get there. Watch the other shooters and ask questions. Go slow and don't worry about impressing the other shooters. 

• Like 2

Go. Pretty register,  get there early tell them you're a new shooter. They will gave a new shooter briefing. 

Minimum equipment is: holster with covered trigger, mag pouch or pockets for mags, 3 mags, ammo, and a cover garment (light jacket, unturned shirt, etc).

Howler advice of go slow and watch & listen is perfect. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I shoot USPSA, not IDPA, but the advice is the same.  Gun, holster, mags, mags pouches, good belt, lots of ammo and cover garment (for IDPA only). Don't forget ear and eye protection. Get there early, tell them you are new, and you will be guided through the experience. You won't be sorry.

You can also just go and watch a match first. Every event I've been to allows spectators at no cost, as long as they have ear and eye protection. But be warned, if you go to watch, you will be sorry if you don't bring your gun.

Don't overlook Steel Challenge or USPSA, if you have them in your area. Both are a hoot and the rules are less complex than IDPA. I believe Steel Challenge is easiest way to get into Action Pistol competition.

• Like 1

Don't arrive with a loaded gun

Leave it in your bag until someone tells you the rules

Don't pull it out of your holster until given the command

Keep your finger off the trigger until you on the target, and take it off when moving

Watch the 180 rule

Don't crowd the barricades