What's Wrong With This Holdup?

This video depicts another good reason why the public--in particular fast food employees--should have a basic understanding of how guns work....or don't.

Had this Jimmy John's sandwich shop counterman understood that a pistol is unable to fire while the cartridge is out of battery in an FTF condition, he could have informed the assailant of this error and thus promoted the company's reputation for outstanding customer service in addition to forking over the cash.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

For those of y'all complimenting dude on keeping his cool, I think what really happened here got missed. I spent over a dozen years working with the public in customer service. That dude has just been in the service industry long enough to have beat down by it that he just didn't care if he got shot. That's what working with the public in the service sector does to you. He didn't have nerves of steel, he just had zero ####s.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

For those of y'all complimenting dude on keeping his cool, I think what really happened here got missed. I spent over a dozen years working with the public in customer service. That dude has just been in the service industry long enough to have beat down by it that he just didn't care if he got shot. That's what working with the public in the service sector does to you. He didn't have nerves of steel, he just had zero ####s.

Hahaha, Been there before. 

3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Or he was just stoned.  ;)

On 4/29/2017 at 7:16 PM, Garufa said:

Or he was just stoned.  ;)

Was my first thought upon seeing the interview with him - that he had been smoking the 'lettuce'.  I think his mom has probably burned down a few heads of the ol' Boston leaf, herself.

I actually think that you and Chucktshoes might both be correct - he was stoned and didn't give a crap.  I also suspect that maybe he did realize that the pistol was out of battery and could not be fired but thought, "Screw it.  Not my money and I'm not throwing down with this dude, gun or not, to protect a few bucks from the cash register - especially not for what they pay me."

Years ago when I worked at a grocery store there had been a few incidents in the area where someone had robbed employees from other businesses of the deposit when they got it out of their vehicle to drop it off in the deposit box at the bank during closed hours.  The manager, assistant manager or whoever was making the deposit always had someone ride with them - mostly as a witness that the manager, etc. didn't hide the cash somewhere and claim that it was stolen, I think.  Anyhow, one time when I was riding with the manager to drop off a deposit on a Saturday afternoon when the bank was closed.  He showed me where he had a revolver stashed in his car and said (paraphrasing - this was more than twenty five years ago), "If they just ask for the deposit we'll let them take it.  The store has insurance on it and it isn't worth one of us getting hurt over, anyway.  If they tell us to hand over our wallets, though, one of us needs to get that gun and shoot their asses."

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3