Questions on Building a Home

btq96r

I'm sure we have at least few folks on here who are decently versed on this topic.  Right now I'm renting an apartment, but if all continues to go well, I'll be able to buy a place, and I'm very curious about just getting a plot of land and having a place built.  So, if anyone has any idea how much it would cost to build a 1,750-2,000 sqft home within a 30min drive of the West End in Nashville, I'd love to hear about it, the good and the bad, and any quirks and tips.  Thanks.

I can't help you with a quote, as my experience in this is decades old and I'm not up on current pricing.  What I can tell you is to avoid any estimates on price per square foot, as it's one of the most useless methods for estimating construction costs, due to the vast differences in what people consider a "typical" home. Get in touch with some builders who are active in the area, they are much better equipped to give some ballpark estimates if you can provide some minimal expectations as to what you are interested in ...

• Like 1

Once you nail down your floor plan, start on the things that really matter the garage "if" you think you need a 1 car garage you really need 2, if it's 2 you need 4, if its 3 it's really 6.....depending on roof height that could increase your square footage = bonus room or man cave....

Location will make a big difference. Huge in this area(middle TN). 

Amenities make a big difference in price and can add up quick. Tiled in shower, recessed lighting, better cabinets, quality of floor coverings, type of trim work, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, light fixtures, etc.

At 2,000sqft, you could double the price going from bare bones to luxuriously appointed.

Also if you build and wanted home automation, I would look into having that installed when it was built instead of an afterthought.

At 30 mins of West End you will be paying 200,000 to 300,000 for a good place in a good neighborhood. If you get out further look to pay more, land is gone way up. I do not know how much money you bring home, I do know mine and I could not afford the payment. Well I could but would have very little left at the end of the month. Now if you can find a older place and get in for less than 150,000 to 200,000, call it a starter home, get it paid off in 10 to 15 years, then move up to a bigger place or more land.

I suggest you find some new homes FS that you like, then talk to the builder to discuss some prices/options.  If the builder can build one that is "pre-sold", it may be a bit cheaper $$ wise or you get a few upgrades, etc., maybe a "freebie" or two but it really depends on the market.  And be prepared to be total frustrated with the builder no matter what they appear to be while just talking to them.  They are two entirely different people (split personality ???) from the "discussion" phase to after you've signed the contract/building phase.  GL in your search.  

I am in the process of building a new 1900 sq ft home right now. If you can find one you like already built it will be much cheaper. I am building one because I had lakefront property and wanted it on the lake. Mine is all brick, lots of glass, steep roof lines, hardwood and tile floors with 9 ft ceilings. It is supposed to run about $250,000 when finished. My neighbor is building one right next door, same size but stone with giant stone fireplaces and timber beams. Same builder told him it could not be built for the $300,000 budget he is working with. I have another friend who used the same builder and got a 1850 sq ft brick house with 8 ft ceilings and got a very nice house for $187,000. So I would say price is going to run anywhere between $110 to $150 per foot depending on what style home you want and how exotic you taste is.

Edited by Eray

The bigger question is what is your budget.  Start there, not the other way around.  You will quickly narrow down areas that are truly achievable or not.  Also make a list of 'must have's' and don't deviate from them or you will regret it.  Don't confuse must have with would like to have.  There are some basic things I will always require for any house.  Time changes must have's, but go with what you must have now.   You will certainly sell and buy again before it is all over.

West End is unfortunately the absolute worst place to have to get to and from on any day, so watch commute times from any location, not just distance.  

• Like 2

Thanks all for the responses so far.  Please, keep it coming for my education.

11 hours ago, bud said:

Depends on what lifestyle you wanna lead. 

Not looking for top of the line luxury, but I want something nice.  Just looking for a place that I will want to come back to after work.

5 hours ago, nightrunner said:

At 2,000sqft, you could double the price going from bare bones to luxuriously appointed.

Yup.  Which is why the price isn't going to be estimated on square footage alone.  Again, I'm not looking for top of the line luxury, but I would want good material and approach this as a "buy once, cry once" type of spending plan for the home.

2 hours ago, Eray said:

I am in the process of building a new 1900 sq ft home right now. If you can find one you like already built it will be much cheaper. I am building one because I had lakefront property and wanted it on the lake. Mine is all brick, lots of glass, steep roof lines, hardwood and tile floors with 9 ft ceilings. It is supposed to run about $250,000 when finished.

Sounds very similar to what I already have in mind.  And the price point is similar to what I consider affordable for me.  That price doesn't include the land you have, correct?

1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

The bigger question is what is your budget.

I'm thinking $250,000-$275,000 is a good range to see what options I can get are.  Anything above that and I would have to be sold on the reason or location.  Trying to be flexible in the exploratory stages here and see what is possible.

Have you already investigated financing?  If not, do that first. I strongly recommmend no less than 20% down, and be certain the payment is comfortable. Don't plan on future income increases, its no fun all feeling financially stretched month after month.  

You also can't really compare rent payments to mortgage payments.  Houses are expensive, there's always something that needs done and it's rarely inexpensive. Brand new houses in particular tend to suck the budget dry for quite a while until you get things exactly how you want. 

3 hours ago, peejman said:

Have you already investigated financing?

Financing is the one part of this I'm not worried about.  I could put 20% down on my price range with my non-retirement investments, and handle the mortgage that would bring based on my current income.

1 hour ago, bud said:

By what kind of lifestyle you want to lead, I meant the location should be suited to your desired lifestyle. If you're young and single and earning a decent income, then I think its fun to live in the city.

My lifestyle is pretty basic.  I'm more of a homebody than anything, and as long as I have a good kitchen, a comfortable chair to read in, and a few good ranges within driving distance, I'll be good.  A bit of privacy from the neighbors would be great, but I know that's going to be hard in this area.  Honestly, my biggest desire is to not have to waste hours of my life each week on a drive to and from work, hence my 30 min to the west end requirement. 

Ironically, that's what brought me to where I'm at now.  I was living in Murfreesboro within walking distance of MTSU while I was going to school there.  Was great for college, but now that I'm working in Nashville, I moved into the city, because that drive was just soul sucking.   Right now, I live next to the Sounds ballpark, so I'm in a great area, but I know this isn't a place I want to stay in forever.  Just trying to think and plan it all out while I have time.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

My friends built a 2500 sq ft house for around $200,000 but hey did a lot of the work themselves. 

Unless I can convince my cousin who swings a hammer for a living to come down here and set up shop, this will be a 100% contracted endeavor.  Hell, even then I'd never let him do it for free, it would just offer me the chance to pay in beer and scratch tickets.

Thinking about it more, I would bet that you would be happier for the short term to look in the Sylvan Park area.  Not sure the pricing now, but it would be a great place to be if you work on West End.  Maybe buy a fixer upper and sell in a few years when you are tired of being in more towards the city.  It would certainly be a more enjoyable daily commute.

I would bet a dollar there are not many places in Davidson county for less than 250,000 in a good neighbor hood. I am sure you could find a place or 2 but the next street over would be ruff. Even the gentrification houses are in bad areas. Just drive into town on 2nd from the fair grounds.

9 hours ago, btq96r said:

Thanks all for the responses so far.  Please, keep it coming for my education.

Not looking for top of the line luxury, but I want something nice.  Just looking for a place that I will want to come back to after work.

Yup.  Which is why the price isn't going to be estimated on square footage alone.  Again, I'm not looking for top of the line luxury, but I would want good material and approach this as a "buy once, cry once" type of spending plan for the home.

Sounds very similar to what I already have in mind.  And the price point is similar to what I consider affordable for me.  That price doesn't include the land you have, correct?

I'm thinking $250,000-$275,000 is a good range to see what options I can get are.  Anything above that and I would have to be sold on the reason or location.  Trying to be flexible in the exploratory stages here and see what is possible.

That $250,000 did not include the land. Two acres of land on Ft. Loudon Lake cost $350,000. It does include 10/12 roof pitch, all brick, 6 ft wide x 8 ft tall windows in most rooms, 2 and 1/2 baths with tile showers, hardwood and tile floors throughout, granite countertops, two car garage with 8 ft tall doors, 400 amp electrical service, 9 ft ceilings throughout and 12 ceilings in great room.

6 minutes ago, Eray said:

Two acres of land on Ft. Loudon Lake cost $350,000.

Well, I didn't need a lake, so no big deal. ;)

But all that for the price is good (as an approximation) if I can find a decent plot of land to build on.

4 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Well, I didn't need a lake, so no big deal. ;)

But all that for the price is good (as an approximation) if I can find a decent plot of land to build on.

I'm retired and wanted to spend the few years I have left sitting on a boat dock. It's not a big house but it's a nice house for $250,000. My friend built a 1850 sq ft all brick with standard 8 ft ceilings and 6/12 roof pitch for $187,000. It has hardwood and granite with 2 1/2 baths with tile showers and tray ceilings in the great room and master bedroom. . All the house that I would need. I just hated to build it on a $350,000 lot next door to 6,000 sq ft million dollar homes. I was afraid the neighbors would kill me. Anytime you vary from standard size building materials the price skyrockets. If you can live with standard 8 ft ceilings and 6/12 roof pitch you can build a pretty nice 1850 sq ft house for under $200,000.

Just now, Eray said:

I'm retired and wanted to spend the few years I have left sitting on a boat dock. It's not a big house but it's a nice house for $250,000. My friend built a 1850 sq ft all brick with standard 8 ft ceilings and 6/12 roof pitch for $187,000. It has hardwood and granite with 2 1/2 baths with tile showers and tray ceilings in the great room and master bedroom. . All the house that I would need. I just hated to build it on a $350,000 lot next door to 6,000 sq ft million dollar homes. I was afraid the neighbors would kill me. Anytime you vary from standard size building materials the price skyrockets. If you can live with standard 8 ft ceilings and 6/12 roof pitch you can build a pretty nice 1850 sq ft house for under $200,000.

Meh...you own the land, do as you like with it.  I'm like you, I don't need the big huge home, just one that's nice.  I'm wondering what I'd need with more than say 2,000 sqft (not including a garage) right now.  Even that would be a bit much, but I'm thinking about building bigger than I need so that I can grow into it.

2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Meh...you own the land, do as you like with it.  I'm like you, I don't need the big huge home, just one that's nice.  I'm wondering what I'd need with more than say 2,000 sqft (not including a garage) right now.  Even that would be a bit much, but I'm thinking about building bigger than I need so that I can grow into it.

You're probably going to only do this once. Do it right the first time. Get everything you want. It doesn't cost a lot to upgrade now. It will cost a lot if you decide to upgrade later.  I was not really as concerned with getting along with the neighbors as I was with my daughter being able to sell it one day and get most of the money back. The house has to sort of fit the neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Thinking about it more, I would bet that you would be happier for the short term to look in the Sylvan Park area.  Not sure the pricing now, but it would be a great place to be if you work on West End.  Maybe buy a fixer upper and sell in a few years when you are tired of being in more towards the city.  It would certainly be a more enjoyable daily commute.

I live in Sylvan Park, and you are looking at $600-$700k for that size house.  A neighbor recently sold a 1,100sqft house for over $400k.  

There are a few deals to be found in the Nations or Sylvan Heights, but you have to be really careful.  Honestly, I would look at Charlotte Park for the investment value. 

47 minutes ago, btq96r said:

My initial search is showing some decent land plots available in the Joleton area.

The Joelton area is a hidden gem.  I have seen several properties that were great values in the last few months.