car people/enthusiasts

1 hour ago, seez52 said:

yep, your wife's uncle, I hear it all the time-- funny thing about Ramblers.:biglol:

I never knew they existed growing up. Of course my dad is a Chevy guy, so we had a 60's Chevy van, a Nova, then an Astro Van.  Not a lot of brand variety. lol

20 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I never knew they existed growing up. Of course my dad is a Chevy guy, so we had a 60's Chevy van, a Nova, then an Astro Van.  Not a lot of brand variety. lol

Never heard this song?

19 hours ago, seez52 said:

I kinda like them original if possible. Although they are all fun to enjoy. The folks that are into the rat rods can really be imaginative. Many of those would be bears to actually drive anywhere. This a Rambler Cross Country Classic 770 I've been working on for a while. 1964 model. It's fairly stock and in "as found" condition other than the chrome reverse wheels and the air suspension. I was against the air ride initially, wanting to keep it stock. But once I got around to the suspension I discovered all the springs were shot and new ones were going to have to be custom made which was a bit pricey. The air ride is kinda neat and was fun to figure out and install. The car actually handles a lot better than with the old springs.

Ramblers are sort of an odd duck, but guess I am too. Seems like a lot of folks had one, their neighbor had one, or they remember someone in their family having one, but not many around these days. Never really caught on as a collector car. Oh well, it's still fun.

64 rambler wagon.jpg

My Mom had that exact car when I grew up, spent my younger years in the back without seat belts and I'm still here!!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

My Mom had that exact car when I grew up, spent my younger years in the back without seat belts and I'm still here!!

yes, it's kinda weird, getting in and no seat belts, no head rests. Actually the front seats do have belts but the back seat and the one in the rear that faces out the back window don't have any. 

We had a Ramber when I was growing up as well. A four door 61 model. Had a metal dashboard. I recall laying on the back package shelf in the rear window and riding. Those were the days.

• Like 1

I had a 1964 Rambler Classic wagon back when it was just a used car. I was the second owner but the first one drove it for 10 years in NY salt before he sold it to me. It was a great car, it had 3 on the tree and the 6cyl. I had to pop rivet a piece of galvanize over a hole in the top of the driver side fender to keep road spray from hitting the windshield. I got a few years out of it when I couldn't afford anything newer with a son on the way and house payments. Even used it as a camper a couple of times with the fold down seats that made into a bed.

Still have old cars but as a collector. Two Crosleys a 49 Wagon that I bought when I was 13, that is in need of its third going through and a 51 FarmOroad. Then my big vehicle is a 50 Ford F1 stake bed.

Jim...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, peejman said:

Never heard this song?

I heard that many times on the old Dr. Demento Show. I miss those long Sunday night shows. lol I always listened to the show in bed and usually fell asleep about 1AM.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Really Peejman? :waiting: You owe me 2 minutes and 41 seconds.  That was like a car crash.  You really should not look but you just can't help looking anyway.

Awwwww, c'mon...that's classic!  :-)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hipower said:

I heard that many times on the old Dr. Demento Show. I miss those long Sunday night shows. lol I always listened to the show in bed and usually fell asleep about 1AM.

That brings back old memories.  While not a loyal listener I do recall occasionally picking the show up late at night. That's because it was the only time you could pick up WLS-AM out of Chicago.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

That brings back old memories.  While not a loyal listener I do recall occasionally picking the show up late at night. That's because it was the only time you could pick up WLS-AM out of Chicago.

That's right. But many a time I fell asleep listening to Shaving Cream. Way too many verses to that little ditty. But long before the Doctor, I listened to WLS as kid at night on a tiny little radio I had. Always seemed to have my dad walking in and telling me to turn that racket off and go to sleep. 

• Like 3

"And there was thunder, thunder over thunder road....thunder was his engine and white lighting was his load..."  If you remember that then yer an old fart...!!! :taunt:  and YES....I wrote that from memory....didn't have ta look it up! 

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Randall53 said:

"And there was thunder, thunder over thunder road....thunder was his engine and white lighting was his load..."  If you remember that then yer an old fart...!!! :taunt:  and YES....I wrote that from memory....didn't have ta look it up! 

There was moonshine, moonshine, to quench the Devil's thirst. The law they swore they'd get him but the Devil got him first.

(So I'm an old fart:hat:)

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, RC3 said:

Im on the verge of crushing my bel air. Replaced the motor last year, got a new car, fuel tank, pump, sending unit, clutch, flywheel, floor shifter, a a few odds and ends a few months ago. Drove her 4 miles this year and the damn motor mount broke somehow, and took my bel housing with it. Replaced the bel housing, but no one has a 250 strait six motor mount anywhere. So, this jasper rebuilt engine is a big ol paper weight like the rest of the damn car. My 2017 crosstrek on the other hand, hit a deer with 487 miles on it and by some miracle drove away with a dent.

Have you tried Volunteer State Chevy Parts in Greenbrier Tennessee to see if they might have a motor mount for your Chevy?    (615) 643-4583

15 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

I drove a 64 Rambler all through high school. The "RamBeller" was legendary.

Good Times.

I drove a 57 ford station wagon with stick shift on the column. I even picked up my girlfriend in it and drove her to school also. On the weekends, my dad and I hunted quail and grouse out of it. The dog bed was always in the back.....LOL! 

Edited by Randall53
3 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

There was moonshine, moonshine, to quench the Devil's thirst. The law they swore they'd get him but the Devil got him first.

(So I'm an old fart:hat:)

Roarin' right Knoxville, out on Kingston Pike. Right outside of Bearden is where they made fatal strike.

He left the road at 90, that's all there is to say, they devil got his moonshine and the mountain boy that day.

Time for me to go take a nap now.

• Like 1

Ok, so not quite as classic, but my first car was a blue and white 1980 Cadillac Coup Deville. The trunk was big enough for a 6' 2" man to stretch out in, you could (*cough*) sleep comfortably in the back seat, and the fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror topped it all off. I loved that car in spite of it needing an engine rebuilt. 35 was max speed on medium size inclines. That probably saved my life though as I had one heck of a lead foot. I hated when I had to sell it. I ended up driving a crap brown Pontiac 6000 for years after that.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, hipower said:

That's right. But many a time I fell asleep listening to Shaving Cream. Way too many verses to that little ditty. But long before the Doctor, I listened to WLS as kid at night on a tiny little radio I had. Always seemed to have my dad walking in and telling me to turn that racket off and go to sleep. 

Yep....I listened to WLS every night as a teenager until I moved out on my own. I didn't have time for it after that...LOL

Back years ago in 1967 when I was moved down here by my parents on Saturday nights when weather was clear we would park up on a hill and could get WLS on the radio here in Tennessee. They were running running 100,000 watts of power at WLS and use to brag about the power they had to reach out and touch folks.........:clap: 

44 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Back years ago in 1967 when I was moved down here by my parents on Saturday nights when weather was clear we would park up on a hill and could get WLS on the radio here in Tennessee. They were running running 100,000 watts of power at WLS and use to brag about the power they had to reach out and touch folks.........:clap: 

WLS is 50,000 (max power for AM). 100,000 is an FM power level.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I'm not sure what's up with that, but during the night in the 60's, I'm thinking many stations backed down on the power or simply went off the air. I couldn't get WLS until nighttime. I'm thinking around 9pm. I do know it was loud and clear. I asked for an RCA multi-channel radio for Christmas one year, around 1960 or so, and got one to my surprise. I had a grandfather that was paralyzed from a coal mining accident in the late 40's and he had one for baseball games. He was a baseball nut and I think I took after him!! Love me some baseball...!!!

50 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Not trying to turn this into a science class but amplitude modulation or AM signal wavelengths are lower frequency and will pass through solid objects easier and bounce off the some atmospheric layers much unlike frequency modulation or FM signals.  If weather and and the atmospheric layer conditions are just right an AM signal could be received on other side of the earth with as little as 5 watts.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
Darkened text