car people/enthusiasts

i am not a true car person i love wrenching on my truck when i can would love to restore a classic some day but i digress, anyway i was watching a car show on youtube called roadkill and of course i see lots of ratrods and hotrods etc and it got me thinking, first let me say i am a purist, when it comes to classic cars i like to keep them original as they came from the factory,

but with all of these 50's chevys and model a fords etc being turned into hotrods and ratrods etc how much longer will it be til there are no more original cars left? i mean these cars are getting rarer all the time and soon they will all either be rust buckets or fully modded, do you think the hotrod scene needs to slow down a bit and just restore the cars to their original condition or does it not matter at all?

what are y'all's thoughts?

I say take that old car/truck, give it a modern drive train, suspension, brakes, electronics and enjoy the hell out of it..

Edit..

Based off a 32 Ford rodester, my 99 Plymouth Prowler it will get you to your destination

HUMMERampPROWLERPICTURES005_zps81ffba97.

Edited by Johnny Rotten
  • Like 1

There's a place for both, In the BMW world it's not uncommon for an e30 M3's original engine's rebuild to top $20k hence many have been swapped with modern less maintenance intense motors that make more horsepower. Making the car both more fun to drive and less costly to maintain.

There are several reasons for a restomod instead of an all original on an older car. Safety and reliability are the obvious ones, but cost is another. Some parts for the older ones are exceedingly difficult to find, especially if you're trying to build a 100-point car. Something as simple as wire clips in the wrong shade of the right color can get you dinged by a judge.

Other times there's just not enough of the original left to be able to do an original restoration. Take a 34 Ford. If you can find one, the odds of it still being an all steel body with the steel running boards and wheel arches, and not a pile of rust are slim. You may have a solid body, but the running boards are roached. So if you get fiberglass replacements, is it really an all original restoration? Nope, so might as well rod it.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3

When was the last time you saw a Packard on the street? 

Cars only last so long. Make sure you enjoy the one you have. Whether that's a frame off 100% restoration or a 57 Chevy done up pro touring style. 

Unless ss you are a multi millionaire you can't buy up all the classics and save them. And you can't tell other people what to do. I personally hate the low riders with hydraulics and rat rods. But I appreciate the time and effort and work that went into them and the owners enthusiasm. They are part of the car culture too.

4 hours ago, luke9511 said:

i guess its just the purist in me, i would rather see a fully restored 55 chevy than a hotrodded one

I agree wholeheartedly, but I understand when guys want things like power steering in a 50's car. I just prefer to run everything as stock as I can. I have a 56 Chevy Step-side that I am trying to get around to doing. I don't want ti showroom original, but that is because I never knew it that way. It was always the old triuck Dad had. that beinfd said, since the truck id 90+ percent original, I plan to keep it that way. Ther will be some metal repair needed and probably some glass, but I will limit it to things that have to be done.

• Like 1

As mentioned, there's lots to consider. If I had a barn find or familiar heirloom all original car, then I'd be motivated to keep it original. However, most old cars have enough wrong that there's little/no value in trying to go back completely stock. Do you really want to drive a car on today's roads with 4 wheel drum brakes and no seat belts?  

As for running out of old cars... you can buy a brand new '68 Camaro today, so I don't see that happening. 

1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

Oh, I though you meant new like a factory one someone stashed away and did upkeep on since. This is like the cobra kits that used a 5.0 donor car to complete them. It would be kick a$$ to have one, but a decently restored original is gonna be way cheaper. These are for people who have a lot of cash to burn.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2017 at 10:50 AM, Sam1 said:

doesn't matter at all, things evolve.  same reason we use guns now instead of bamboo spears to protect our homes.

Except some of us like our guns to be old as well ....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Oh, I though you meant new like a factory one someone stashed away and did upkeep on since. This is like the cobra kits that used a 5.0 donor car to complete them. It would be kick a$$ to have one, but a decently restored original is gonna be way cheaper. These are for people who have a lot of cash to burn.

No, they aren't donor car kits. It's a real, brand new car made from reproduction or original tooling from the stampings on up. 

Im on the verge of crushing my bel air. Replaced the motor last year, got a new car, fuel tank, pump, sending unit, clutch, flywheel, floor shifter, a a few odds and ends a few months ago. Drove her 4 miles this year and the damn motor mount broke somehow, and took my bel housing with it. Replaced the bel housing, but no one has a 250 strait six motor mount anywhere. So, this jasper rebuilt engine is a big ol paper weight like the rest of the damn car. My 2017 crosstrek on the other hand, hit a deer with 487 miles on it and by some miracle drove away with a dent.

36 minutes ago, RC3 said:

Im on the verge of crushing my bel air. Replaced the motor last year, got a new car, fuel tank, pump, sending unit, clutch, flywheel, floor shifter, a a few odds and ends a few months ago. Drove her 4 miles this year and the damn motor mount broke somehow, and took my bel housing with it. Replaced the bel housing, but no one has a 250 strait six motor mount anywhere. So, this jasper rebuilt engine is a big ol paper weight like the rest of the damn car. My 2017 crosstrek on the other hand, hit a deer with 487 miles on it and by some miracle drove away with a dent.

Maybe these folks have something.

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/cs-1419-chevy-in-line-6-engine-mounts-19-inch-194-230-250/

7 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I dont say this lightly, but you sir, are a god send.  I have been searching multiple sites, went thru countless catalogs, junk yards and BAM, you magnificent bastard shows up. I will order them and pray they work.

They wont work, I went to check, the bolt patterns do not match up. Back to the search.

Edited by RC3
27 minutes ago, RC3 said:

They wont work, I went to check, the bolt patterns do not match up. Back to the search.

Did you look through their website? If all else fails, you can go to www.chevytalk.org and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

2 hours ago, RC3 said:

I dont say this lightly, but you sir, are a god send.  I have been searching multiple sites, went thru countless catalogs, junk yards and BAM, you magnificent bastard shows up. I will order them and pray they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Motor-Mounts-2-Chevrolet-BEL-AIR-250-cid-1965-66-67-68-69-70-71-72/251640049830

?

I kinda like them original if possible. Although they are all fun to enjoy. The folks that are into the rat rods can really be imaginative. Many of those would be bears to actually drive anywhere. This a Rambler Cross Country Classic 770 I've been working on for a while. 1964 model. It's fairly stock and in "as found" condition other than the chrome reverse wheels and the air suspension. I was against the air ride initially, wanting to keep it stock. But once I got around to the suspension I discovered all the springs were shot and new ones were going to have to be custom made which was a bit pricey. The air ride is kinda neat and was fun to figure out and install. The car actually handles a lot better than with the old springs.

Ramblers are sort of an odd duck, but guess I am too. Seems like a lot of folks had one, their neighbor had one, or they remember someone in their family having one, but not many around these days. Never really caught on as a collector car. Oh well, it's still fun.

64 rambler wagon.jpg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, seez52 said:

I kinda like them original if possible. Although they are all fun to enjoy. The folks that are into the rat rods can really be imaginative. Many of those would be bears to actually drive anywhere. This a Rambler Cross Country Classic 770 I've been working on for a while. 1964 model. It's fairly stock and in "as found" condition other than the chrome reverse wheels and the air suspension. I was against the air ride initially, wanting to keep it stock. But once I got around to the suspension I discovered all the springs were shot and new ones were going to have to be custom made which was a bit pricey. The air ride is kinda neat and was fun to figure out and install. The car actually handles a lot better than with the old springs.

Ramblers are sort of an odd duck, but guess I am too. Seems like a lot of folks had one, their neighbor had one, or they remember someone in their family having one, but not many around these days. Never really caught on as a collector car. Oh well, it's still fun.

64 rambler wagon.jpg

That one looks nice. My wife's uncle has a Rambler, but not sure what year.