Picked up a 358 Win. - Anybody here shoot the 358?

KahrMan

Bought this kind of on impulse. I saw it and thought it was cool so I bought it.

This is my first rifle of this style. They guy said it is a BRNO mauser that was re-barreled to 358. I know nothing about these rifles. I can't even figure out how to get the cleaning rod out.:doh: I know a lot you guys have knowledge about these rifles. Anything you can tell me about this rifle, like how to get the cleaning rod out, approx age, history, would be appreciated.

358-4.jpg

358-5.jpg

358-2.jpg

358-1.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Kahrman

Do not assume the gun is a 358. The barrel appears to be the original military barrel. Look down the bore. If it is dark or worn, it is the original barrel.

If your gun is chambered for 8X57, a 358 round might chamber. If you attempt to fire the gun, all kinds of bad things will happen.

Take the gun to a knowledgable person or 'smith, and have them check the gun out.

If I had to give an opinion, it is NOT a 358.

It has been a while since I messed with them. Look on the front ring. I agree with the other poster. Unless it was bored and rechambered, which is possible but unlikely, it is probably still in 8mm Mauser. It sure looks like a VZ24 Mauser. I don't know the whole history but I believe one of the reasons Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia was to get his hands on the BRNO Mauser works. It has evolved into the CZ550 of today....well, that what I have been told. I know the 550 is also a very good action.

I think this one is older than a VZ.? That's a very old, like WWI or before rear sight. Kahrman, what markings are on the thing? What's on top of the receiver just forward of the bolt and also on the left side? Any other marks?

I never even heard of a 358 until now. If you've got an 8mm bullet or .30

(just for testing purposes) and stick it in the end of the barrel does it swallow it? There's a big difference between 8mm and 35.

I am not familiar with the older ones. Thought just occured to me though. A 358 winchester is based on teh 308, aka 7.62x51. That means it has a 51mm long case. The 8x57 has of course a 57 mm Case length. You need to see if it will still chamber a Mauser length cartridge. 257 Roberts, 7mm Mauser, 8 mm Mauser, ....even a 6mm Remington should do just to check chamber length. If any of those will allow the bolt to close it has not been rechambered at all regardless of bore diameter. Of course do not fire the weapon with anything until caliber is determined.

Guest Mugster

I dunno how to get the cleaning rod out. Mebbe its just stuck in there real good. I'd yank on it with some vice grips after hitting it with some penetrating oil, but thats me. I like new rifles, lol.

A .358 is a .308 necked up, like glockster said. Kinda like a short action .35 whelen. The rough test of chambering an 8mm round won't tell you if its really a .358 winchester. It could be an oddball .35 wildcat. A set of .308 gages should tell the tale. I don't know of too many gunsmiths that keep many gages on the shelf. No one, actually. You might find some by calling around. I have some on order to check a .243, but it may be a year before they come in. One of these guys may have a set, if you post around. Midway has forster on the shelf, of course, for a price:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=539645

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=491140

If you just want to make sure its relatively safe to shoot, chuck the nogo gage and just get the field gage and the go gage. Thats probably what i'd do on an old one like that:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=530744

Just an article on the .358:

http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-BLR358.htm

The receiver is marked:

ZBROJOVKA

BRNO

Then on the side it is stamped E 22

I tried to chamber a couple of different rounds. The bolt would close on a 308. It would not close on a 270 or 30-06.

Also, I took a 340 Weatherby mag and put it in the end of the barrel bullet first. The 340 bullet still had wiggle room when inserted.

Guest gcrookston

That's a Gewr 98 and was originally in 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser). "E 22" designates the Model (1922). The barrel should be marked across the top ring where it screws into the receiver. If it was subsequently rebarreled, it should be marked. In addition to Arming the Czechs, A few hundred thousand of these were built by BRNO following WWI for Turkey. There may be a cressant moon and star on the top receiver ring along with a date.

308 will chamber, but shooting it out of an 8mm will be catastrophic.

Here's another on GB:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120270910

Edited by gcrookston

For you guys that don't know TGO member John Wall, he is a great guy. I took the rifle to him to inspect. First thing he did was drop a 8mm bullet in the bore. It fell right thru. Then he broke out the head space gauges to determine the caliber. And sure enough it is 358.

He checked over the rifle for me and said it was in very good condition. Now I just have to find some ammo and get out and shoot it.

Thanks John.

Edited by KahrMan